Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Top Hats????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Hats????

Sorry for this ridiculous question:
    Okay, so I see people talking about extended top hats so here's this question?
    1.Exactly what is a top hat?
    2.What does an extended top hat do?
    My Project, My Concept
    1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

The "top hat" is the top retainer for coil spring in the shock/spring assembly to which the top end of the shock it attached as well. An extended top hat raises the top mounting point for the shock absorber relative to the top of the spring (only the center portion is "extended") to offset the effect of lowering the suspension and potentially causing the shock to operate closer to the fully compressed position and possibly bottoming out internally.

Item 8 below (with the rubber insulator, #10) is the top hat:

90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Fleetwood nailed it. A extended hat is an aftermarket suspension component for ground effects.

No question is dumb or ridiculous unless it's about buying eBay coilovers sleeves. Even then we'll still answer.

I think LadyG's husband made stuff like this, and the upper control arm clearance cap things right? If you're looking for a set maybe contact him?

Comment

FFC makes extended front top hats for the CB/CD, which I've utilized since they were released. Icing on the cake for my Koni/GC setup.

Comment

So if I'm correct these move the damper in relation to the spring, allowing you to be lowered without compressing the damper?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
            So if I'm correct these move the damper in relation to the spring, allowing you to be lowered without compressing the damper?
            Couldn't of said it better myself! Especially for "struts" or spring packages that weren't meant to be lowered or a better way to think of it is that the maximum performance of the unit is "as is". Lowering the car with out lowering the spring.

Comment

Using extended top hats won't compensate for a stiffer spring rate, however. If you have shocks that aren't valved for a stiff rate, they still won't last very long or perform very well even if you use extended top hats to ensure that they are operating in their intended compression range.

Extended top hats are useful only in instances where you are so low that you have exceeded the capabilities of available shock options (and you don't want to have shortened, revalved shocks made custom... as that is an expensive, albeit available, option.) If you are not so low that you need extended top hats, and you are using shocks (such as koni yellows) that are intended to be used with lowered vehicles, then you may actually damage your shocks. Just as a shock can be compressed beyond its intended range, it can also be overextended.

If you're not sure, just stick to something fairly standard. Koni Yellows will stand up to pretty much any quality brand non-adjustable spring on the market for these cars. It's not until you go extreme, either with a very low ride height, or in a serious competition setting, that you will ever need anything more than the things you can just buy off the shelf and bolt to your car. By the time you get to that point, if ever, you SHOULD have amassed enough suspension knowledge to understand what you need, and why.

Comment

Thanks guys that explained it all, much appreciated.
                My Project, My Concept
                1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

Working...
                X