Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

CyborgGT: Mild H22A Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^230 with just mild cams and pistons, and it sounds like you're saying that's a low number?

Over the past couple weeks I have been realizing that I could easily surpass my comfort level with this project and be in way over my head doing the assembly myself. It won't be as fun in the meantime not being able to build as I get parts, but it's looking like that part will be best left to the professionals.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
      ^230 with just mild cams and pistons, and it sounds like you're saying that's a low number?

Over the past couple weeks I have been realizing that I could easily surpass my comfort level with this project and be in way over my head doing the assembly myself. It won't be as fun in the meantime not being able to build as I get parts, but it's looking like that part will be best left to the professionals.
      If you are willing to drop the coin on the appropriate measuring tools, you can do it.

Dont get scared of this. Its not rocket science, its just elaborate.

Measuring is the hard part. Most of the measuring is just addition and subtraction using small numbers and double checking everything.

You have to check;

-Crankshaft end play
      -Clearance between crankshaft and mains
      -Clearance between crankshaft and rods
      -Piston to cylinder wall clearance

And that is pretty much it for the rotational assembly assuming you can trust the machine shop did everything correctly.

I double check everything that comes home from the machine shop and I feel that is a good idea. Some people don't, and find out the hard way that something is .15 off.

Assembly really isnt that difficult as long as you follow instructions well and take the time to do it right.

There is an investment involved in the tools required to do it correctly. Its up to you if you want to invest in tools and learning to do this yourself or just pay someone to do it. I would do it myself if i was you. Down the road it'll pay off 10 fold if you continue to play with cars/motors and such.

If this is your first build, I can almost promise you'll do it again. Its too much fun building engines to stop after you know how to do it. I bet you are already excited and wanting to touch stuff and bolt shit together.

The finished product is very empowering, especially when you can honestly claim "built not bought"
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

My post was based on you bad low cam power post.

Really building an engine isnt hard. Its time consuming and can be a bit expensive up front as far as tools go. I was a tech for awhile so i have a pretty good assortment of tools.

You can slap it together and hope it works out, buy the tools and do a lot of research, or leave it to a honda professional
        Last edited by 98vtec; 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM.
        www.850fab.com
        IG - @850Fab
        FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

As much as I've never liked the idea of someone else doing the work on my cars (I've yet to visit a shop for anything but exhaust welding and to have some bearings pressed, only because I lack the proper tools), it's not like I don't have a very long time to think on all of this and keep learning. I do find the learning part fun when it comes to engines, and have always been a bit of a nerd for hands-on and slow, detail-oriented work. I suppose the nerves are to be expected doing something this big for the first time. And, hey, my original engine swap fired up and ran smooth on my first attempt after I had pretty much memorized all the write-ups...

This project is getting me pretty excited, toycar, yes.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

- valve spring compressor (have one, doesn't fit the tight head; getting EuroExport's specialty Honda tool)
            - feeler gauges
            - dial indicator
            - Plastigage
            - micrometers
            - cylinder bore gauge
            - dial bore gauge
            - precision straight edge (just to confirm the shop's work for myself)
            - piston ring compressor/expander

How am I looking? I read through my main CB7 Helm book. Except for the plastigauge I've never used, it's just as I remember from school; I'm pretty sure the micrometers came in sets of four or something like that for the different jobs.
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-17-2012, 04:43 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ditch the plastigauge. It's inaccurate and the micrometers and dial bore indicators will do a much better job anyway of getting you spot on.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                Ditch the plastigauge. It's inaccurate and the micrometers and dial bore indicators will do a much better job anyway of getting you spot on.
                ^^This.
                As said they're way more accurate ways a plasti gauge is a decent base it's not precise, but it is however better than guessing.

02 Crv
                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                  ^^This.
                  As said they're way more accurate ways a plasti gauge is a decent base it's not precise, but it is however better than guessing.
                  Not to mention all surfaces must be clean and free of oils so there's nothing to throw off the plasti-guage.

Its not a bad tool just post dont use it right. Micrometers are much better.

Comment

I'm going to keep up with this now that I found it.

I loved my mahle 11:5:1 co, h22 i had built, it needed 93 oct, otherwise it just pulled timing from knock.

One important thing i have yet to see in here, if I ever build another one, the first thing I would do and recomend. Do balance shaft delete! You gain better oil preasure and don't have to worry about it snapping ruining your whole engine. Yeah car body loops a tad bit at idle, but thats it.
                    "Self Renewed"

Comment

the larger exhaust tends to actualy quiet a vehicle down with louder low notes, instead of highs.

It will affect AFR, but in a good way, higher compression vehicles also tend to get better gas miliage due to more power being produced in the quenched area of combustion.
                      It's a trick mercadese and others have used for a long time, the downside, under full throttle 91-93 oct is required for full performance. although 87 is fins for idle and cruise.
                      "Self Renewed"

Comment

I WANNa see this bad boy finished sounds like my f20 b build
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        This thread is over a year old, you fucking retard.
                        i dont know why this popped up but U MAD BRO? not my fault u is FAKE! CLOWN ASS

Comment

Originally posted by speedfr3ak View Post
                          I WANNa see this bad boy finished sounds like my f20 b build
                          ...that we'll never see pictures of. At least not any pictures you took.

Qucik! Everyone watermark your F20B engine pictures! Send out the word!
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I keep bouncing back and forth between wanting a coupe and a wagon to put this in (sporty looks are always cool, but I'm also a stickler for practicality), and right now I'm in that wagon state of mind. Because of this, I'm thinking about getting a Bisi header (w/welded slip joints) instead of the HyTech simply for the looks. They're similar enough in gains that I'm really not all that concerned about getting every last pony out if I can have something so insane looking... and it would be all the more bad-ass cruising hoodless in a wagon, lol! But I don't know for sure. Lately I've been trying to research header design and how to tell, by looking at one, where it's likely to put the power. I'm wanting something more useful for autocross/road racing, and am trying to avoid an all-out drag header. The controversy regarding Bisimoto is too disgusting for me to find anything I'd be inclined to trust about their products, so searching for those, specifically, is out of the question.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                              If you are willing to drop the coin on the appropriate measuring tools, you can do it.

Dont get scared of this. Its not rocket science, its just elaborate.

Measuring is the hard part. Most of the measuring is just addition and subtraction using small numbers and double checking everything.

You have to check;

-Crankshaft end play
                              -Clearance between crankshaft and mains
                              -Clearance between crankshaft and rods
                              -Piston to cylinder wall clearance

And that is pretty much it for the rotational assembly assuming you can trust the machine shop did everything correctly.

I double check everything that comes home from the machine shop and I feel that is a good idea. Some people don't, and find out the hard way that something is .15 off.

Assembly really isnt that difficult as long as you follow instructions well and take the time to do it right.

There is an investment involved in the tools required to do it correctly. Its up to you if you want to invest in tools and learning to do this yourself or just pay someone to do it. I would do it myself if i was you. Down the road it'll pay off 10 fold if you continue to play with cars/motors and such.

If this is your first build, I can almost promise you'll do it again. Its too much fun building engines to stop after you know how to do it. I bet you are already excited and wanting to touch stuff and bolt shit together.

The finished product is very empowering, especially when you can honestly claim "built not bought"
                              Why buy tools for a job he will do once and possibly do wrong, whereas he can pay professionals (probably less) to do the job right once?

As far as the chassis to put this in... I would go w/a 4th gen Lude or Civic

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

^ You're on the wrong site, bud. I like both cars, but... no. The whole reason I kept the CB and didn't swap it for a Prelude (like I came extremely close to doing a couple times, even going so far as to talking in earnest to a seller on one occasion) was because I like a car with useable back seats. As for Civics, I just don't like them nearly as much as I love CBs.

But I probably will end up having the shop take care of the crank and rod bearings. It's just too easy to have them knock it out while they're already sleeving the cylinders and machining everything.
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-29-2013, 02:47 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X