New Axles causing vibration?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Axles causing vibration?!

So I installed new CV Axles into my car, and now under acceleration it vibrates! What the Heck! Has anyone else ever had this issue? I'm going to jack it up and make sure the axles are seated properly.
    I'm faster then a prius

Absolutely!

Years and years ago (like 2002?) before I knew how to wrench I had a bad CV joint on the driver's side of my car. I had it replaced by the local mechanic and when I went around a corner I felt like I was smashing into a curb. I brought it back in, the part was diagnosed as a junk CV joint and they replaced it a second time and gave it back to me. When I got the car back the smashing into a curb feeling was gone but I was left with a vibration under acceleration in 2nd gear. I brought it back in and the mechanic said I had a bad gear in my transmission. I tried to argue with him that this wasn't the case and it was the axle, but at 18 I didn't have much to stand on and he brushed me off.

I ended up having unrelated work done (same place unfortunately) and the second mechanic there goes "hey you know you have a bad axle, right?". When I lowered a few years later I ended up replacing the axle and the issue was completely gone.

If it's a lifetime warranty part, swap it out. Re-manufactured axles appear to be luck of the draw. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      Absolutely!

Years and years ago (like 2002?) before I knew how to wrench I had a bad CV joint on the driver's side of my car. I had it replaced by the local mechanic and when I went around a corner I felt like I was smashing into a curb. I brought it back in, the part was diagnosed as a junk CV joint and they replaced it a second time and gave it back to me. When I got the car back the smashing into a curb feeling was gone but I was left with a vibration under acceleration in 2nd gear. I brought it back in and the mechanic said I had a bad gear in my transmission. I tried to argue with him that this wasn't the case and it was the axle, but at 18 I didn't have much to stand on and he brushed me off.

I ended up having unrelated work done (same place unfortunately) and the second mechanic there goes "hey you know you have a bad axle, right?". When I lowered a few years later I ended up replacing the axle and the issue was completely gone.

If it's a lifetime warranty part, swap it out. Re-manufactured axles appear to be luck of the draw. Good luck!
      That's really good to hear, that I'm not crazy. I made sure to get lifetime-warranty ones in case of boots ripping and such, I never thought they would have vibration issues!

Thanks so much for sharing! I'll need to deal with these axles sometime this week...
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
      X