Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
    It's pictures like these that make these types of members' rides threads even better than the cars with thousands of dollars dumped into them.
    Thanks Jarrett!

I'm trying to use this MR thread as a record of the work accomplished. I've never taken pictures of my other projects on cars from beginning to finish, and wanted to actually have a visual/written record of how this car has progressed. I always try to get the pictures when I start on the projects but once I'm in the middle of them I usually forget to take pictures.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I'm loving the work you're putting into the bay, beautiful job. Nice choice of engine, too; I'm a fan of a simple, no-nonsense twin cam.

Do you know the thickness (mm) on that CL sway bar? It looks like ST Suspension (27mm) is our only aftermarket option, and I wasn't aware the CL's bolted up.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        I'm loving the work you're putting into the bay, beautiful job. Nice choice of engine, too; I'm a fan of a simple, no-nonsense twin cam.

Do you know the thickness (mm) on that CL sway bar? It looks like ST Suspension (27mm) is our only aftermarket option, and I wasn't aware the CL's bolted up.
        Thanks for the reply! It's a big time commitment to clean up the bay, especially after so many years of neglect.

This is actually my first twin cam Honda engine. I will get the thickness of the CL bar this weekend. As it's in my other garage 25 miles away. I'll be up there getting some more parts for this Accord.

Comment

I managed to get the steering rack more or less disassembled and cleaned up last night. I couldn't get the rod out with the gear on it. Because while I have my snap ring pliers I left the tips in my other garage . This is a rack that I half converted before. I had just taken off the valve body, dropped all the valves out and put it back together and looped the lines. This left me with some play in the steering wheel. Like to drive straight I would have to constantly work the wheel back and forth ever so slightly. Really annoying let me tell you! So this is everything that will be going back into the rack with the exception of 1 valve which again is in my other garage. I'll get some pictures of it once I'm reassembling things. Also I had the black tube off the rack and pinion but I slid it back on, and couldn't get it off again for the life of me. So I just slid it mostly together again for the pictures.

Rack Disassembled and Cleaned (Teaser of Copper Exhaust Gasket in the Corner)

Valve Body Disassembled 1

Valve Body Disassembled 2

Rack Internals

A few days ago I also finished up the OEM fog light harness and have it installed on the car. I'll post up a picture or two of it as well, in a day or two.
          Last edited by Rilas; 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Looking good man!

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
            - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

Looking good, as for the manual rack conversion you said you noticed the DIY is missing something that eliminates the excessive play. Do you plan to elaborate on this? Also what type of grease are you using to lube up the rack? I am planning on doing the full conversion soon and would like to eliminate this as well. Thanks and glad to see another fellow F22B
              Last edited by Grumpys93; 06-25-2015, 06:31 PM.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                Looking good, as for the manual rack conversion you said you noticed the DIY is missing something that eliminates the excessive play. Do you plan to elaborate on this? Also what type of grease are you using to lube up the rack? I am planning on doing the full conversion soon and would like to eliminate this as well. Thanks and glad to see another fellow F22B
                Thanks Grumpy!

I do plan to elaborate, but the piece I need to add back in to get rid of the excessive play is in my other garage 25 miles away. I'm headed up there this weekend to pickup that and my CL sway bar as well as a few other things I need to get this Accord wrapped up. Once I have the piece in hand I'll post up some more pictures to explain what the DIY is missing. I'm really excited to see how this F22B will run. As far as the grease I haven't totally decided what I'm going to use quite yet. I'll post that up as well once I decide on something.
                Last edited by Rilas; 06-25-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khal.lawson View Post
                  Looking good man!
                  Thanks again khal! Yet again glad to see that you got yours all repaired from kissing another bumper.

Comment

Well I got some more done last night. Just cleaning up some odds and ends. Although I did spend about an hour scrubbing on the underside of the rear subframe. There is only a little bit left up under there. No more than a half hours worth of work. Also I managed to get the center beam installed.

OBDII to OBDI Distributor Harness 1

OBDII to OBDI Distributor Harness 2

OBDII to OBDI Distributor Harness 3

Poor $2 Walmart Dish Brush 1

Poor $2 Walmart Dish Brush 2

Foglight Harness 1

Foglight Harness 2

Foglight Harness 3

Foglight Harness 4

Foglight Harness Ground

Does this look like a good place to ground the foglight harness, or should I mount it to the main body? This was the cleanest looking I could come up with for the harness but I'm not opposed to changing it. Function over form imo.

Comment

Well during the blazing hot weekend here. 101* F yesterday and 104* F today. In the garage it was only about 84* F which is still too warm for me. I actually managed to make some progress on Lola.

Finished wiring the knock sensor to the ecw plug. I've had the wire in the cab for awhile. It is totally integrated into the engine wiring harness and body harness in the engine bay. I will try and get a picture of how I mounted the knock sensor. It's in the block plug where the block heater goes.

Cleaned up a few other items in the cabin. Got the e-brake lever centered for the JDM Center Console w/ Armest.

Grumpys93 here are the requested pictures. Showing what to keep when removing valves from the valve body.

Here are the required parts to keep if you don't want excessive play in your steering wheel when converting to manual rack.

Valve not being removed. This valve has a slot in it which holds a pin on the bottom of the shaft with the gear on it. Here you can see the hole the pin sits in with the valve installed. I'm sorry for the shadow I took about 10 pictures and adjust lights but this is the best I got. Hopefully you can see what I'm trying to show here.

Valve installed in Valve Body with Pins and Spings 1 (In the picture it is installed upside down I apologize.)

Valve installed in Valve Body with Pins and Spings 2 (In the picture it is installed upside down I apologize.)

Pin on bottom of shaft matching up to the hole that is rests in. See how large the hole is in comparison to the pin? If you remove the valve that is pictured above that is how much play is left in the wheel. The pin has to move all the way across the hole and hit the far side before the wheels begin to turn. By leaving the valve in all play is removed.

Grease used for manual rack conversion

Manual Rack Completed 1

Manual Rack Completed 2

CyborgGT here are pictures of the CL Sway Bar by the Accord's. Also following are pictures with wrench's on them, granted it's 1mm bigger than my wrench so they are 25mm thick, both of them.

Comparison of Hollow Tube vs Solid Ends

CL Sway Bar Thickness

Accord Sway Bar Thickness

If you guys want I can take pictures with my dial caliper. I don't know why I didn't think of using it while I had my camera handy. I'm sure I managed a bit more this weekend but that's the majority of what I can remember.

Comment

damn, super duper clean with a fine attention to detail. love the build. what method are you using to clean everything?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks for getting back with the sway bar comparison. ST's a bit thicker at 27mm.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                            damn, super duper clean with a fine attention to detail. love the build. what method are you using to clean everything?
                            To clean everything I'm just using some simple green, a scraper, dish brush, Scott's Blue Shop Towels, small flat blade screw driver, and a ton of elbow grease!

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            Thanks for getting back with the sway bar comparison. ST's a bit thicker at 27mm.
                            I knew the ST would be thicker but I picked this sway bar up about 6 months ago and it's been sitting on a shelf since, only paid $7 which is hard to beat. Since it's solid I figured it would be a little bit of an upgrade over the hollow one. It should pair nicely with the Progress rear sway bar I plan on picking up in a month or two.

Didn't get my steering parts ordered last week but I just put in my order for them this morning. I know they aren't the greatest quality but, they are all getting moved over to the sedan to be sold, in the near future. I didn't want to get the cheapest stuff possible because I might be riding around on it for a few months myself.

Also picked up OEM lower ball joints from the Honda dealer so they are covered even though they aren't listed. I didn't forget!

Comment

thanks for the pictures and insight I should start working on my conversion some time next week, if I can find the time.
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                                thanks for the pictures and insight I should start working on my conversion some time next week, if I can find the time.
                                Your welcome Grumpys93. It really doesn't take much time to disassemble it, grease and reassemble. Maybe 2 hours tops if you have to clean the entire rack as well. I'm trying to give back to the community finally after using it to learn just about everything possible about my car over the last 5 years, and fix almost every problem I've had with the car.

Thank you guys for being such a great community!

Comment

Working...
                                X