Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

tranny leaking 5 speed (area in description)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny leaking 5 speed (area in description)

Found out the problem to why my car was not going into gear so easily. Turned out in a time period of 3 weeks my tranny had drained all its oil. I would notice oil puddles but it was motor oil so I ignored it (wasn't aware Honda trannys use motor oil).

I jacked my whole car up, took off the plug on the tranny that is used to fill it up and felt inside to see if I could feel some oil but there was nothing. I took the drain plug out and again there was nothing so I drove down to autozone(different car), bought two courts of castrol sae 10w-30 motor oil. i added the two courts, put the plug back in then got out from under my car. Couple minutes later got back under my car and noticed a puddle probably 2 by 2 inches big. After examining my tranny i found a hairline fracture where every minute or less would drip oil to the floor. I pulled the drain plug went back to AutoZone and bought the same oil and some jb weld. I cleaned the area and applied the jb weld. This evening i went out and added the two more courts of oil, tightened the plug and got out from under my car.

After getting back up under my car I saw another puddle but this time bigger and coming from another spot. The jb weld held so It wasnt leaking from there. I found the area of where it was leaking from. Ill try to describe it well enough for you to know. if you crawled under your car from the front end (drainplug and fill plug being on the right) it would be on the left side of the tranny casing. Its around the same height as the fill plug. There is a indent in the casing where it is leaking and in that indent I can only see the threads of a bolt. I cant see the bolt head only the about a inch of threads. I cant see what's on top of the indent(indent being like a lip or shelf almost)but the oil is leaking bad from and extremely fast from there, a drop every 10 seconds. ( I forgot to mention I noticed the drops after I had let the back end off the Jack and had the front up on jacks still. That's when it seemed to be leaking because when we got the car even it stopped leaking)

After all of that I drove the car to my girlfriends house and when I got out my car I noticed a line probably 15 feet long and a inch or 2 wide from where I had driving. Didn't think it was from my car u ntill I got home and noticed I had the same oil line in front of my house. I looked under my car and oil is dripping. Not sure how fast but within 5 minutes it dripped a inch wide puddle.

Any ideas on what this could be?

A picture would really speak volumes.

if I'm interpreting your description correctly, my initial guess is the Driver Side Axle Seal (see pic)

Its not a too difficult of a job. Just a little time consuming.

Last edited by Tishock; 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm sorry ill try to get some in the morning and if it was that seal why would it randomly start leaking?

Comment

20 year old seals will do that sometimes. If it is the axle seal, replace both sides.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
        X