No announcement yet.

interfacing Arduino to Power locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just think that an alarm would be much better in terms of getting everything else. I never liked those RF things, especially the ones that some dealerships have in their cars. They proved to be unreliable later.

But you got to understand my bias, I install alarms for a living lol. Id rather have remote start than a thing on my key that I can loose lol.

Now what would be cool is if you had the system more dependable to where you have a key sense and all you do is go near your car and it will unlock for you.

I respect that you are going outside the box though.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

And dude, why you going to hurt my reputation? I just said its a waste of time. I didn't say that it was a dummas idea. Don't get all butt hurt.

Damn people now a days. Take a little constructive criticism...
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

What, what? In the butt??

Looking good! I can't wait to see the code grow from here.

Accordztech has a point...You could use Arduino to talk to an alarm brain. That was one of my ideas from a while ago. You would essentially have the best of both worlds. I used to install alarms professionally, and it's such a freaking pain!!! On some of these newer cars the adapters and finding the correct wires leave me like wtf?? And I like wiring to a certain extent.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
          I respect that you are going outside the box though.
          I understand. This project wasn't really defined beyond getting my Arduino to interface beyond the locks, so I see the confusing. Thanks.

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
          And dude, why you going to hurt my reputation? I just said its a waste of time. I didn't say that it was a dummas idea. Don't get all butt hurt.
          Damn people now a days. Take a little constructive criticism...
          PM'ed.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          What, what? In the butt??

Looking good! I can't wait to see the code grow from here.

Accordztech has a point...You could use Arduino to talk to an alarm brain. That was one of my ideas from a while ago. You would essentially have the best of both worlds. I used to install alarms professionally, and it's such a freaking pain!!! On some of these newer cars the adapters and finding the correct wires leave me like wtf?? And I like wiring to a certain extent.
          Thanks for the help and support of the project! I really appreciate it. Learning a lot about quite a few things all at the same time. I could use the Arduino to talk to a Alarm brain, it's certainly not out of the question! At this point I just want to show anyone with a CB7 it can be done relatively easy, and show them how if they are interested. Who knows how our fellow Cb7 tuners will make use of an Arduino interface to the car?

Besides this thread, there are three or so other threads referencing an Arduino. Only one of these threads are related to a car project. I wanted to contribute to anyone siting behind their computers saying "Yeah.. I wish I could do that, if only I knew how."

WildBill83's TCU replacement project

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
          Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
          RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
          "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
          "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

i can appreciate this thread! i work with electronics as a hobby and plan to do similar vehicle integration. have you ever thought about GPS and/or GSM(cell) ?

it may seem more complicated, but from what I can tell you aren't very far off from being able to tackle these sorts of projects: http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...m-based-on-SM/

would be easy-peasy to add cellphone based text message control over the car's locks that way, too.

I haven't made any progress with my own integration, but if you are curious to see what i had in mind, here is my old thread: http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184011 I have newer hardware now, but still plan to use similar software, with "Arduino" (not actually arduino, but the basic core of it: an AVR chip) having control over the locks and vehicle's accessories, talking to the computer over USB.

I personally feel programming skills are very valuable to have, especially used on real world hardware implementations like this. keep up the good work!
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I found a 99$ FPGA that I want to use for digitally controlling features like locks, horns, lights, etc. Like a CAN system

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

would be nice if you could translate it into detailed DIY for your fellow members ^___^

Comment

Hey guys, just some updates on the project.

I am going to use blue-tooth as my choice of communication. I ordered a HC-05 blue tooth module. The module has a 30 foot range. The upside is the module was only $7.54 with shipping. The down side is that the module will take 2-3 more weeks to get here from hong kong.

I'm going to connect my Android phone to the Arduino via bluetooth to send and receive my commands. I found a guide where the user wrote up his own android app which will communicate with the previously mentioned bluetooth module to command the arduino. (linked below)

Bluetooth Module

Links
                  ArduDroid: A Simple 2-Way Bluetooth-based Android Controller for Arduino
                  30ft Wireless Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module serial RS232 TTL HC-05 for arduino

"The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
                  "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                    i can appreciate this thread! i work with electronics as a hobby and plan to do similar vehicle integration. have you ever thought about GPS and/or GSM(cell) ?
                    [...]
                    I personally feel programming skills are very valuable to have, especially used on real world hardware implementations like this. keep up the good work!
                    Thank you for your input! I love working on this car and fixing it up, and sometimes it's just more fun to do something different. I haven't considered GPS or GSM integration, but those sound like phenomenal ideas. I might do it in the future if I can get the funding, but I'm keeping my costs as low as possible for this current project. I already had an arduino, so far I only had to purchase mosfets and a bluetooth module. GSM would be amazing as there is no physical limit between the car and your position. Imagine texting your car to lock, unlock, switch to 12V, acc, etc. The GPS module looks like it has quite a few amazing uses in that linked project as well!

I have been following your project quietly a little bit after you posted it initially, and I still think it's a great idea with much potential for entertainment. I would like to see the outcome!

I found a 99$ FPGA that I want to use for digitally controlling features like locks, horns, lights, etc. Like a CAN system
                    I'm not fully familiar, but if I understand correctly, a bus-can system is like a controller? Still, sounds cool!

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
                    would be nice if you could translate it into detailed DIY for your fellow members ^___^
                    I would absolutely love to, and intend to. As of right now, the project is a bit sloppy. I can't promise a time line, but when I can, I will make a DIY.

Comment

It's more like a language in the electronics world. It's how the devices "talk" to each other. It would go great with your Arduino project.

You could have a central "brain" that interfaces with you and the outside world. This brain will translate certain conditions into CAN language and can control certain aspects of the car.

For example, say you have a rain sensor installed on your car and you leave your windows down while you're away. You could code the brain to say "Hey, it's raining now. Are the windows up? No? Ok, I'll roll them up." It's a bit more complicated than that of course but full of potential.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Update #3

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait. I'm still working on this project! All updates are added on the first post!

Update #3

Been busy busy! My daughter was born last month, I might have a new job prospect, and life is just changing rapidly. Now I have a little time to set aside to get back to this project!

My blue tooth-module arrived, but I needed some more items to make this project easier to work on. I ordered an assortment of resistors (bottom left) that I needed to bring down the transmission voltage for the Arduino, and some breadboard prototyping wire (top left). Before getting the prototype wire I just spliced and twisted wire until it fit in the Arduino. This was a pain as I spent too much time trying to perfect the wires which failed occasionally, causing me to trouble shoot broken connections instead of moving forward with prototyping.

I put everything together, (no pictures yet, sorry ) and was able to connect my phone to the BT module. So far Phone <-> BT module <-> Arduino works. I haven't actually coded the arduino for the BT module yet, so I haven't tried using the BT module to switch anything off or on. Just wanted to make a quick update so no one thinks I stopped progress
                        Last edited by Kamatari+; 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Congrats!! She's going to take all your time from you fyi...

What are you using those resistors for? Is it to bring the Arduino Tx voltage down for the bluetooth module?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Congrats!! She's going to take all your time from you fyi...

What are you using those resistors for? Is it to bring the Arduino Tx voltage down for the bluetooth module?
                            Thanks , a month later and this is too true. She really is eating away at my time, but I don't mind

Yes! That's exactly what I needed them for. The arduino Tx needed to match the HC-05 module voltage of 3.3V. I actually only needed one 1K and one 2K resistor, but this pack of 600 assorted resistors was only $6+shipping. Now I have plenty to play with for the project, and many for future, down the road projects as well! Much cheaper than how much I paid per resistor pack from spark fun or what I could have paid through radio shack.

Comment

I've done the arduino - bluetooth RN-42 - relays to various control surfaces. The arduino is surprisingly insanely sensitive to automotive voltage spikes. You're going to want to put a regulator around the whole lot of it to cut off those nasty spikes and dips.

I was careful to drive a transistor from the arduino which in turn drove a relay, all using double regulated voltages, but after a while they began to break down and the relays would only respond 9 out of 10 times. I scrapped it all and started over from scratch but haven't had the time.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by Kamatari+ View Post
                                Thanks , a month later and this is too true. She really is eating away at my time, but I don't mind

Yes! That's exactly what I needed them for. The arduino Tx needed to match the HC-05 module voltage of 3.3V. I actually only needed one 1K and one 2K resistor, but this pack of 600 assorted resistors was only $6+shipping. Now I have plenty to play with for the project, and many for future, down the road projects as well! Much cheaper than how much I paid per resistor pack from spark fun or what I could have paid through radio shack.
                                Voltage divider? If you experience some strange communication issues, try a level shifter ic as a buffer between the two.

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
                                I've done the arduino - bluetooth RN-42 - relays to various control surfaces. The arduino is surprisingly insanely sensitive to automotive voltage spikes. You're going to want to put a regulator around the whole lot of it to cut off those nasty spikes and dips.

I was careful to drive a transistor from the arduino which in turn drove a relay, all using double regulated voltages, but after a while they began to break down and the relays would only respond 9 out of 10 times. I scrapped it all and started over from scratch but haven't had the time.
                                Sounds like you needed more filtering. I would have liked to see the debugging of the circuit.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X