H22a ignition timing issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22a ignition timing issue.

I bought a 92 accord with an obd1 h22a that someone else swapped in. It ran terrible when I first got it, but I've been slowly fixing everything that is wrong with it. One thing I have not been abe to figure out is the ignition timing. I put a new distributor on because I was getting a code 4 which is a CKP sensor. It starts and idles fine. I set the idle according to the DIY and went to set the ignition timing. I put a paperclip in the service connector. The light showed it was firing at TDC, however when I gave it a little gas, say 1500 RPM, it goes to the 15 degree mark, but I cannot get it to 15 degrees on idle. Any suggestions?

345,000 miles and counting...

Originally posted by Ster56 View Post
    I bought a 92 accord with an obd1 h22a that someone else swapped in. It ran terrible when I first got it, but I've been slowly fixing everything that is wrong with it. One thing I have not been abe to figure out is the ignition timing. I put a new distributor on because I was getting a code 4 which is a CKP sensor. It starts and idles fine. I set the idle according to the DIY and went to set the ignition timing. I put a paperclip in the service connector. The light showed it was firing at TDC, however when I gave it a little gas, say 1500 RPM, it goes to the 15 degree mark, but I cannot get it to 15 degrees on idle. Any suggestions?
    Not my territory but isn't our timing static?

Comment

What ECU are you running?
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by grumpys93 View Post
        what Ecu Are You Running?
        P13

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Not my territory but isn't our timing static?
          That's what I thought!?

Comment

Aftermarket distributor? maybe need to slot the holes and get some more adjustment in it.

Have you checked cam timing?

And yes ignition timing will change with rpm, load, throttle position, temperature etc.

Is the ecu chipped at all?

Are you sure its a blacktop flywheel? Euro R flywheels are 12 degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombine View Post
              Aftermarket distributor? maybe need to slot the holes and get some more adjustment in it.

And yes ignition timing will change with rpm, load, throttle position, temperature etc.

Where did you find info that said Euro R is at 12?
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by Zombine View Post

It is an aftermarket replacement distributor, however it was doing the same thing with the old distributor. Ill check the cam timing. I can see the "15" on the flywheel so I'm pretty sure it is correct. As far as I can tell the ECU has not been messed with, but I can't completely rule it out because the previous owner might have done something stupid to it seeing the rest of his work on the swap... I'm kind of leaning towards the ECU being the problem. I took the car out for a drive and it has no power and does not like getting up in the rpms. It kind of feels like a limp mode. I know that Hondas don't like aftermarket ignition components but sourcing an OEM h22a internal coil distributor proved a bit difficult for me. I'm kinda thinking of doing the external coil modification so I can use a USDM distributor. I'm open to any suggestions! The ultimate plan is to take the H out of that car and put it in mine. I already have everything to refresh the engine while it is out but I want to get it running properly in the car it is in before I rip it out.

Comment

H22 ignition timing is at 15 degrees before top dead center (red mark) on idle. Top dead center is the white mark. So your timing light should be spotting on the red mark on idle when your motor has correct ignition timing...

And yes Euro-R fly timing mark is at 12 degrees BTDC.

Comment

I should be able to source a USDM h22a1 distributor and it plug right in with the f22a6 external coil wiring, correct? I threw the old distributor back on just to see what would happen. I could properly set the timing and it ran good until it threw code 4 again, which is why I needed to replace it in the first place. So the problem is definately in the aftermarket replacement distributor. I think I could find an oem USDM distributor much easier than a JDM one. Would it work? Just run external coil?

Comment

Was the distributor you put on it a new one?
                      Have you tried another internal coil distributor? I literally am running an internal coil distributor from ebay & I have not had any issues.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Got the problem solved. Still not quite sure what exactly the problem was, other than it did not like the aftermarket distributor. I ended up doing the external coil DIY where you take all the internals out of an F22 distributor and put it in the h22 housing. Running external coil now, and set the timing perfect.

Comment

Working...
                        X