ENG : Replacing inner distributor seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG : Replacing inner distributor seal

Yes, I know there's another similar thread, but it's full of blurry pics and not as thorough. So, here's my version.

Tools needed:

Your favorite ratchet
    3" extension
    10, 12, and 15mm sockets
    Flat head or Phillips head screwdriver
    Small pick or fine tipped mini flat head screwdriver
    Brake or carb cleaner
    Shop rags
    Black Sharpie
    NOK seal PN# BH3888-EO

Step 1:

Mark the dizzy and dizzy collar tab so you can get a ballpark idea of where to set the timing during reassembly.

Step 2:

Remove the dizzy cap by unscrewing the 3 screws holding it down, mine are blue.

Step 3:

Disconnect the power plug and the plug for the sensors.

Step 4:

Loosen the 2 10mm bolts on the dizzy collar.

Step 5:

Remove the 3 12mm bolts holding the dizzy to the head. Yes, I'm missing one.

Step 6:

Remove the dizzy, and place a rag in the hole left, oil will leak out.

Step 7:

Turn the dizzy over. Use the small pick or mini flat head screwdriver to pry to ring off. Insert the tip where the pin is and it comes off very easy.

Step 8:

Remove this pin. After you do the gear will come off. Before you fully remove the gear, mark the gear and the shaft. This will ensure you put the gear back on correctly, because it will go on backwards.

Step 9:

Remove the rotor and disconnect the ICM

Step 10:

Remove the ICM and heatsink. Yes, there are 2 screws, and I only have one.

Step 11 (optional):

If you have been leaking for awhile most likely your ICM looks like this. Remove the ICM from the heatsink and clean them both.

This is how bad mine was:

Step 12:

Remove the 2 screws at the bottom and the one at the very top.

Step 13:

Pull the guts from the dizzy and set them aside.

Step 14:

Now you have access to the seal. I used a flat head screwdriver and pushed the seal out from the bottom. Be careful to not scratch any surfaces.

Step 15:

Use the 15mm socket and 3" extension to seat the seal. It can be a pain because there are strong magnets inside the dizzy. Make sure it's flush.

Step 16:

Reassemble in reverse order. After reassembly start the car, allow it to get to operating temp and check/set the timing. Now enjoy a leak free dizzy! I'm sure I may have left something out, please feel free to chime in and I'll update the OP.
    Last edited by dj_ender; 09-18-2013, 04:03 AM.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Were you able to get the seal at an in-town parts store or did you order it online?
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Additionally, it makes me feel good to call someone a cunt if they don't say "thank you".

So no matter what, I win. Selfish reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by GXZ View Post
      Were you able to get the seal at an in-town parts store or did you order it online?
      I ordered mine off Ebay for $7.95 shipped from jdmpartsman714. Fast shipping too.

Comment

I think the correct part number is BH3888-E. I found an OEM NOK seal for 7.95 shipped.
        Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-09-2013, 12:51 AM.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Oops, not sure how that other 3 got in there. When I was looking around many suppliers had the BH3888EO it looks like the EO was an updated version.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
            Oops, not sure how that other 3 got in there. When I was looking around many suppliers had the BH3888EO it looks like the EO was an updated version.
            I believe you're correct. I just received my OEM NOK, made in Japan seal today and the part number is indeed BH3888-E0

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I also want to stress how important it is to MAKE SURE the shaft gear is put on EXACTLY as it came off, otherwise your distributor will be 180 degrees off and your engine won't start.

I just experienced that right now and spent about an hour troubleshooting connections only to realize that I didn't put that gear on in the correct orientation.

Also, this is a helpful video representation:

Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I did the same thing too... Only difference was I knew right away that that was the issue.

Comment

Thank you for doing this--very helpful.

Comment

I hope it helps many people.

Comment

helpful

thanx helped me alot also !

Comment

i wish i would of known this before i bought a $250 brand new dizzy. i know it can be done of some vehicles, but i didnt know how to take mine off...

Comment

I'm glad it helped the both of you!

Comment

If you have oil on the inside of your dizzy, this is the seal to replace?

And Is this the same part for the JDM h22 dizzy as well or just the f22.

I've noticed mine is leaking. It was getting rich at idle once warm I assumed it was a bad coil opened up the dizzy and found oil

thanks

steve

Comment

^Yes, if you have ANY oil inside the dizzy, you're in the right DIY The TEC dizzy's (F22AX, H22A/1, H23A1 for example) all use the same seal, it's the oddball Hitachi dizzy's (F22B6 or F22B1 for example) that use a diff. seal. But you have a TEC unit on your H, so it's all good.

Comment

Working...
                              X