ENG: Distributor seals (ALL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Distributor seals (ALL)

This thread is to tell and show how to replace all 3 seals in the dizzy.
    First a symptons list to know which seal is leaking.
    Leaking oil from between the dizzy and head= o-ring
    Oil leaking into the dizzy and dripping from the cap= inner seal
    I don't know of any symptons of the last seal going bad (maybe moisture in cap), but it should be replaced when you change the cap & rotor

I'll start with the easiest to hardest to change (o-ring, cap seal, and inner seal) I don't think those are the correct names but there will be pics so you know what I'm talking about.

Note: This was done on a ext. coil dist. so yours may be a little different.

Before I get started I need to explain my strange use of tools. I left my tool box at the shop b/c I didn't plan on doing any work tonight. With that said all I had to work with was my drill. I didn't even have my hacksaw just extra blades (you'll understand later)

It took me about an hour to disassemble while taking pics, 20-30mins fighting with a stripped screw. The whole process should be able to be done in an hour.

First remove the dist, if you don't know how to do that, don't bother reading any further. J/K there should be a DIY here somewhere. Mark the position of the dizzy before you remove it.

Next with the dizzy off you will see the o-ring on the base, simply remove it and replace with a new one. You're done with that one re-install the dizzy or continue to next seal.

Flip the dizzy over and remove the three screws holding on the cap and remove it.

Now you can replace the "cap seal" and reassemble or continue to next step.

Flip the dizzy back over and use the tool of your choice to pry off the retaining ring (as you can see I used a small knife)

now the pin should just fall out, if not push it out I used a pen.

Now slide the rotor thing off.
    Mark which way it goes first

Flip the dizzy back over.

Pull/pry off the rotor button and slide off the sheild hiding the electronics.

Remove the three outer screws (marked by pen). I stripped one and had to remove all the screws to get better access so that I could use a hacksaw to slot it and use a flathead screwdriver.

Now the shaft and electronics are free to be pulled out and to the side.

The seal is already removed in this pic

You can now flip the dizzy over again and use your tool of choice (don't you just love choices) and push the seal out.

Now replace with the new seal and reassemble.

I created this because I understand that some of the guys here have been buying new dizzys because they didn't know how to change the inner seal. Well I hope my work was not in vain and you guys actually use it and save yourself some $$$money$$$ for other things. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by rudy1980; 10-25-2007, 10:23 PM.
    MR Thread- I brought SEXY back- LOL
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacement anyway.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with with experience!!!

I love you, can those seals be bought in auto zone?

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Alex13mod
      I'm not sure. I got my o-ring from a bearing supply place, I just took my old one in and they gave me one the same size. They didn't even charge me for it. I'm pretty sure the inner seal will have to come from Honda.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with with experience!!!

Comment

Awesome DIY, I wish I knew about this 2 yrs ago, I bought a new dist. housing from honda, it was $148 which isn't bad but def. good to know. Thanks for the write up

Comment

Good job RUDY
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Can anyone help me find where to buy the inner seal? I went to the dealer this morning and they do not sell it and want me to buy an entire distributor for $175. HELP!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dhorn33
              Can anyone help me find where to buy the inner seal? I went to the dealer this morning and they do not sell it and want me to buy an entire distributor for $175. HELP!!
              Try Manchester honda

Comment

No go. Honda does not make this part available seperately from what I have found. I have found 2 vendors that seem to sell it so I think I will take a chance and order one for around $15. That is nuts for what it is - but cheaper than a new distributor so worth a shot I think.

Comment

I just ordered the new seal here:
                  http://market.autopartsfair.com/hond...em-147614.html

The part comes up as $8.95 but when you click through it is $11.95. I called and they gave it to me for $8.95 plus shipping of $5.50 for a total of $14.45. I will try to remember to post up when I get it and install the part.

Comment

I installed the new seal and o-ring and put the car back together last night. It fired right up so I will keep an eye out for any more leaks. I also installed a brand new distributor cap and rotor bringing the total cost of the project to around $40. I cannot believe that I paid $14 for a tiny seal - but way less than the cost of the new distributor.

Comment

Nice DIY hopefully this will help some people.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ohh shit. This will definetly help me. I have been trying for two days to take out my internals out of my dizzy to swap them. Thank You rudy1980. now my motor from my swap should start on monday
                        Last edited by JohnD1079; 11-25-2007, 09:33 AM.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

I'm glad to see this is helping you guy's.

Comment

yes it has helped a lot.

The only problem is finding a new inner seal !!!!. That site you put up was back ordered for 2-3 weeks. and on top of that lied to me and messed up my address

I used this site. It costs a little bit more, but i beleive the service is much better
                            http://www.prostreetonline.com/oem/w...stributor+Seal

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by Alex13mod
                              yea i got mine from autozone.....

My Cm7

My Cb7 (DD)

Comment

Working...
                              X