Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FACTS why cutting springs is a bad idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
    yea, because an intern knows all.

overflexing a cut spring meant for a differnt ride height will eventually fail. It not that so much as WHEN it fails, if you complete a stop and it finally breaks at a stand still, no biggie. if you go to corner on a track and apply a large ammount of force on it and it snaps before a corner- thats wonderful.
    And this is any different than when people slam their thousand dollar coil over set up? Cutting it is chaing the preload, same as cranking down
    A coil over. Everyone keeps saying what happens if if you spring breaks? Well it breaks and that's about it. The strut holds it in place it not going to fly off the car and if it does drop any it's not going to be much till a coil lays on another coil. The car will have more roll to it, but I doubt your down shifting to apex the 30 mph curve at 90 anyways. I've rode months on broke spring that was heated. Car bounced badly and popped on bumps, but that's about it. Your springs are not a safety item on your car. It's hard to imagine now
    But some of the older members who worked on cars/trucks
    In 80s and 90s, yanking springs out completely was rather common. All 3 Hondas I had in high school had fronts cut in half and no
    Spring in the rear

Comment

Standard spring steel, generic dimensions, corner weight of a 3000lb car. Ignore what the ends look like. Without mounts the constraints are weird.

12" spring

8in" spring
      Last edited by Domesticated; 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM.
      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

why you no love cut springs?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Originally posted by FAK_LAF View Post
          You are a morron sir for not being able to read.
          And you're a dumbass for not being able to construct coherent sentences. Don't like being called a dumbass? That's because calling people names is unkind and certainly doesn't give credability to someone trying to defend a position most of us don't agree with. Also, "morron" is actually "moron". There is only one "r". You were close, though. Regardless of your levels of education, no one here gives two shits if you can't form a sentence and get it across with less than 4-5 typo's. It simply does not impress us. Nor does attacking people who have been here MUCH longer than you in order to defend your opinion on something that very few agree with you on.

Cutting springs is just NOT a good idea, guys. If you can't afford to spend $200 on used (good condition) lowering components, leave your car alone. Why is this so hard?

If your tail light goes out and you don't have a new bulb, do you put a lit candle in the housing? No. Sure, it might illuminate the housing. But it's not a great option, and it has the potential to damage nearby components. If you can see why that's a stupid idea, you should have no problem seeing why cut springs are a stupid idea. Don't do haggard shit. Please. I drive the same roads as you sometimes.
          Last edited by turbomaxx; 04-22-2012, 10:43 PM.
          "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
          "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
          Disregard females, acquire currency
          BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

I love how people don't think of other peoples safety. I'm sure parents don't want people driving around with unsafe cars endangering their children. Here in Mass, cars need to pass a safety inspection every year. If your vehicle is not safe, you will not pass and will have to fix what is wrong in order to drive it again legally. Cut springs never pass inspection and the cars fail the Safety part of the test. Anything else I need to state?

Still want to cut your springs? Didn't think so.

Waits for THAT guy to come in and disagree with all of these pictures I just posted.

Comment

Those look heated

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
                yea, because an intern knows all. .
                You obviously don't know what the FE is and I have a Masters degree BTW.

Go spend your 800 dollars on a 2 inch drop to drive around town. Its your money. I'm tired of arguing.
                Last edited by FAK_LAF; 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                  FAK LAF that is way too low you are way out of the shock's operating range
                  Not when the upper strut mount is extended 2-inches

Comment

Chip Foose cuts springs on cars that go to other people.

Comment

What I like most about this thread is the way people who cut their springs argue for their "need" to do so. Saying things like, "Our only options were...", or "I needed a couple more inches" is a little ridiculous. For the people that advocate cutting springs, granted under certain conditions, at least agree that you sound a little silly expressing your desire to look cool to the other people into slammed cars in a fashion that makes your methods seem forced. As if you had no other choice but to cut them. Because that's all it is. You want a look but you defend your methods by saying that it was your only option. It's not. I didn't cut the springs on my car today. I didn't do it yesterday either. I'm pretty sure that I won't do it tomorrow also, but to be fair that hasn't happened yet. So you certainly didn't have to.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I never said I would cut my own springs, nor will I ever. I had to cut a set once, but it was for a brand new 2012 car that didn't have suspension available. And not that I'm saying it's safe or not, but it was a track only car that was never going to be driven on the street.

Comment

My argument there was simply a disagreement with the opposition's reasoning. Again, you said you "had to" and I feel that's an exaggeration. Granted that's a track car so you're not putting anyone in danger that hasn't signed some sort of waiver.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car?
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I designed the Fiat on the top right

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                              I had to cut a set once, but it was for a brand new 2012 car that didn't have suspension available. And not that I'm saying it's safe or not, but it was a track only car that was never going to be driven on the street.
                              Wait hold on:
                              A brand new 2012 car required cut springs, on stock shocks?

And its also happens to be a "Track car"?

Aren't track cars normally made for performance?
                              Or was it just for appearance?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                                Wait hold on:
                                A brand new 2012 car required cut springs, on stock shocks?

And its also happens to be a "Track car"?

Aren't track cars normally made for performance?
                                Or was it just for appearance?
                                Cutting a spring increases its effective springrate, and lowering within reason lowers the CG of the car, both increase cornering performance. I'm not sure exactly what his project was, but this seems like an effective crutch until a better option is found.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                                'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                                Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Working...
                                X