Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Can you put a f20b head on a f23 or a f22a2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you put a f20b head on a f23 or a f22a2

just asking cause I have a f20b laying around with a chipped ringland

Try searching for their respective bores and strokes. The stickied thread under beginner technical->performance (something like that) should discuss something regarding Frankenstein builds. Because that's essentially what you're asking

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187140

I got you a link. READ IT. LIVE IT. BREATHE IT.
      Not really lol

Comment

Heres some more good information

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/a.../t-326846.html

(Didnt realize other link had a link within it containing same info)
        Last edited by CB7_Saloon; 10-11-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

In most cases, such builds fail in a fairly short amount of time.
          If you have the knowhow, the tools, the space, and the time... and the car itself is not your sole source of transportation, then go for it. It is indeed possible, and it has been done many times.
          It is a BAD idea to do it to your only car if you rely on it to get to work or school. It is a BAD idea to do it if you're not prepared to spend some money (cutting corners will result in an even more unreliable build.) It is a BAD idea if you expect the final result to be reliable or capable of high performance. You may have good results, but the odds are not in your favor there.

If this car is a toy, and you know enough to cobble together a frankenstein engine, then by all means... go nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            In most cases, such builds fail in a fairly short amount of time.
            If you have the knowhow, the tools, the space, and the time... and the car itself is not your sole source of transportation, then go for it. It is indeed possible, and it has been done many times.
            It is a BAD idea to do it to your only car if you rely on it to get to work or school. It is a BAD idea to do it if you're not prepared to spend some money (cutting corners will result in an even more unreliable build.) It is a BAD idea if you expect the final result to be reliable or capable of high performance. You may have good results, but the odds are not in your favor there.

If this car is a toy, and you know enough to cobble together a frankenstein engine, then by all means... go nuts!
            I like this philosophy. I don't understand why people try to do crazy things to their (usually only) daily driver. I think maintenance and keeping the engine tidy inside and out is far more impressive than unnecessary modification.

I had an old friend of mine that was nuts about modding his mom's neon that he drove almost everyday, he did something or other to it and his mom couldn't get to work for a month. Needless to say, there's no helping people that do this kind of stuff, but it's much better than doing things like drugs or crime.

Comment

My biggest complaint isn't how offended others may get if one were to install a head from one engine onto a block fro a different one. It's that all to often, the people who attempt this are under the impression that this method is a cheaper way to get to the same or better end result as having a standard H22A.

To do it right, it isn't. You're at an advantage because you have everything already, as opposed to someone who just finds an H22A head and wants to proceed from there.

Do you have scratches in the bore? That could dictate how you choose to proceed. If you don't, and are just looking for a method to get the engine running again, find a set of used F20B pistons or order a custom set for the F20B in whatever compression ratio you want.

If you do have scratches, then you're going to need to overbore the block (usually around $25-35/cylinder). At that point, you could just install a set of custom +1mm F20B pistons and call it good. Expect that option to cost around $700-800 after getting everything back together with new bearings, Not really worth it, in my opinion.

What I did was something that requires a little bit of spending, although not as much as one of the custom piston options would, but definitely has more rewarding performance over the stock F20B. Purchase an F23A only to use the rotating assembly (I got mine for $25, but expect to spend $200-300). Then find a set of K20A2 or K20Z3 pistons used online ($75). Have the block bored to fit the new pistons once you have them in hand and purchase new rings before installing them ($120 for boring and $100 for rings). The last thing you'll need are new bearings to complete the rebuild ($120).

This isn't technical info, and I have no idea what your abilities are when it comes to building an engine. I do know that there are many better methods than the one you're asking about, so I would urge you to consider those first. If you decide that you have to throw this head on your block, there are plenty of write-ups out there outlining how to do it. PirateMcFred has some good information hosted on his own site about his experiences. There are even billet dowel plugs made now to be installed into the extra oil drain ports on the F20B and H22A heads to make that part of it easier. But, there is still some mis-matching and swapping of smaller components that needs to be done.

Good luck with whatever you choose. And if you read all this and decide it's all too much work, grab another F20B for $500 and call it a day.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
              X