Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

koni pricing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bother with the reds... pay the extra for the yellows. Trust me. 99.999% of the people on this site (myself included) do not have the knowledge and equipment to properly make use of shocks that can only be adjusted off the car. Most of us won't know what to do with externally adjustables, either... but at least we can play with them until they feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Don't bother with the reds... pay the extra for the yellows. Trust me. 99.999% of the people on this site (myself included) do not have the knowledge and equipment to properly make use of shocks that can only be adjusted off the car. Most of us won't know what to do with externally adjustables, either... but at least we can play with them until they feel right.

Haha true true.. I will be doing the yellows with GC sleeves most likely..

You guys have convinced me that 500 is well worth the highest quality shock and the last set ill have to buy

Click it.... You know you wanna
      Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

x2. Removing the shocks to make adjustments would be a royal pain in the ass, especially if you're doing it by "feel" which is half-assed already honestly, but its the best thing any/most of us have. The resolution on the reds is worse than the yellows too, which isn't very good as it is. What I mean by that is: most people are only going to be able to eye-ball 1/8th of a turn of the knob on a yellow. If you told me you could eyeball 15 or 20 degrees, i wouldn't believe you. This is even more difficult to do with one of the reds.

Now, if you can get a shock dyno to match them and tune them properly, then go for it...but at that point you might as well get a Bilstein.
        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've personally had AGX and Koni Yellows... and trust me... the difference is night and day! Anyone who says otherwise probably thinks a Hyundai Sonata is as good as a Honda Accord.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
            x2. Removing the shocks to make adjustments would be a royal pain in the ass, especially if you're doing it by "feel" which is half-assed already honestly, but its the best thing any/most of us have. The resolution on the reds is worse than the yellows too, which isn't very good as it is. What I mean by that is: most people are only going to be able to eye-ball 1/8th of a turn of the knob on a yellow. If you told me you could eyeball 15 or 20 degrees, i wouldn't believe you. This is even more difficult to do with one of the reds.

Now, if you can get a shock dyno to match them and tune them properly, then go for it...but at that point you might as well get a Bilstein.
            Very true. Bilsteins are non-adjustable, right? At least what they offer for us. You'd have to have them custom valved from the factory. Which would be fantastic if you knew what you were ordering them for, and the car was going to use them for a specific purpose (like racing).

With my Konis, I really just go with full soft for driving, and full stiff at the drag strip to help combat squat and keep the front traction as good as it can be. Once I finally get the car on a road course, I'll play with them some more... but that will have to be by feel. I don't even know where to find a shock dyno around here!

Comment

So the nuespeed konis and GC a good idea?

Click it.... You know you wanna
              Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

Very true. Bilsteins are non-adjustable, right? At least what they offer for us. You'd have to have them custom valved from the factory. Which would be fantastic if you knew what you were ordering them for, and the car was going to use them for a specific purpose (like racing).

With my Konis, I really just go with full soft for driving, and full stiff at the drag strip to help combat squat and keep the front traction as good as it can be. Once I finally get the car on a road course, I'll play with them some more... but that will have to be by feel. I don't even know where to find a shock dyno around here!
                Yeah Bilsteins are non-adjustable, but their construction is amazing and they are more consistent than a Koni. Also, they can be re-valved trackside in minutes, while a Koni needs to be serviced directly by Koni. That's the beauty of a custom-valved Bilstein. Since they have such consistency, if they are custom valved from the factory, and they have no adjustment, in theory they should all be matched perfectly so you don't need a dyno. Koni's you have to play with the knobs to match them and tune them properly. A half turn on one yellow may not equal a half turn on another yellow.

I personally can't stand my Koni's on full soft with my Neuspeed race springs. It feels too spongy...and I DD the car. I doubt the springs are being dampened enough at that point also...but I'll agree it does feel more comfortable. When I get farther along in my suspension build I'll document my selection process with my shocks and spring rates and make a post about it.

Originally posted by 91kid View Post
                So the nuespeed konis and GC a good idea?
                Yes, it is a very sound setup for most applications and I think you'll like it. I think the off the shelf GC rates are on the softer side though. If you want to do me and yourself a favor, you could call Koni and ask about the shock forces for the yellows for the accord and let me know.

Comment

GC offers options in spring rate as well. That's one of the great things about that company.

Comment

GC offers options in spring rate as well. That's one of the great things about that company.
                    Yup. If Koni will disclose the force range on their yellows that would be perfect because then everyone on this site will know exactly how stiff they can go with their springs on their koni's. I'm surprised no one has found this info yet. I'll call myself if I have time outside class.

Comment

We have a serious lack of suspension knowledge on here, sadly. We know how to install it, what we need to keep our tires from wearing unevenly, and what shocks and springs are made well (or not)... but that's about the extent of it. Even the autocrossers don't know all that much.

Anything you can contribute to that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comment

We have a serious lack of suspension knowledge on here, sadly. We know how to install it, what we need to keep our tires from wearing unevenly, and what shocks and springs are made well (or not)... but that's about the extent of it. Even the autocrossers don't know all that much.

Anything you can contribute to that would be GREATLY appreciated!
                        It seems like the people that do know more only figure out things that concern their cars and then leave it at that.

Comment

Yeah, I'm guilty of that myself.

Of course, I've bought both of my suspension setups as a set (springs and shocks) from friends... so I never put any thought into matching anything up. I just took what I could get and installed them. H&R Sport and AGX first, then H&R Race (I already knew I liked H&R's quality) and Koni Yellows.

Comment

Yeah, I'm guilty of that myself.

Of course, I've bought both of my suspension setups as a set (springs and shocks) from friends... so I never put any thought into matching anything up. I just took what I could get and installed them. H&R Sport and AGX first, then H&R Race (I already knew I liked H&R's quality) and Koni Yellows.
                            You can't really blame anyone, but that's the way it is. I just feel that the CB is mostly lacking in the suspension department compared to even just civics and integras, so having a top-notch setup is critical even to be competitive. As far as power goes, that's not as much of an issue in my opinion, with the H22, K24 swaps, and the things Bisi is doing with the F22A.

Comment

That's something I learned playing Gran Turismo, believe it or not... that suspension and control are far more important than power. I would always upgrade my car's power, and I'd lose. I spent all my initial money on new tires and suspension, and I kicked ass!

But yeah, the CB's extra weight especially makes suspension important. It's got more weight to have to control with power alone, and being FWD, that's a very limited option. You NEED a good suspension if you want it to perform.

Not that most people actually race. MAYBE 20% of us have seen a drag strip, where a suspension can be very basic as long as it promotes traction. MAYBE 15% of us have autocrossed, and a very small percentage of that 15% have done so with any seriousness. I can probably count on one hand the number of CB7 drivers that have taken their car on a road course even once... let alone competed (Karl is the only one I can think of right now that actually competes)

Still, it would be nice to have that information available. If we can unlock the mystery of making these cars competitive, people may be more willing to take the plunge and compete with them.

Comment

I've been meaning to get mine into autocross/road race for the last two years, but shit keeps breaking lol. I'm not going to race it with a rear main seal leak, for example...and I can't fix it right now because i'm down at school...I just have to add oil every now and then.
                                Last edited by mndude07; 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X