Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need help, engine stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help, engine stalling

I had an issue about 2 months ago that started as engine stalling and jumping in the rpm's, so I parked it and found that the spark plug ring gaskets on the valve cover failed and drained oil into the plug cylinders. I replaced the gaskets, cleaned the oil out and bought new plugs, new distributor cap, rotor and coil, all installed and working correctly. I started it and it was backfiring out of the intake, so I cleaned out the EGR valve and it stopped. I charged the battery and it started perfectly, idled great and ran. So I shut it off and now it wont start for more than a few seconds. It jumps to 1500rpm then slowly dies. If I give it gas it dies immediately. Any ideas are appreciated. There is good gas in the car and the plugs are sparking bright blue, so I'm stumped.

Does the engine rev up, or does the tach move by itself? An erratic tach is an indication of a failing igniter, which is an easy fix.

Have you checked the condition of the plugs again since installing them?

Comment

The tach isnt erratic, it just sits at 1500 then dies down steadily until the engine stalls, kinda live a missing vaccuum line but all the hoses are good and sealed. I havent checked the plugs since I only started it once but spark was good and consistent before I started it the 1 and only time since the repairs. I've considered timing but having had badly timed cars before this doesnt seem the same.

Comment

Yeah, ignition timing wouldn't cause a problem like that. In my experience, you can have the timing fully advanced or retarded and the engine will still run just fine.

Is the check engine light on, by any chance?

Comment

what about the fuel system? have you replaced the fuel filter?
          visit vgruk

Comment

The CEL isn't on and the ECU isn't flashing any trouble codes. The fuel filter sounds like it may be a good thing to check lol. I'll buy a new one and see what happens. If not I can't imagine what else it might be. I've never experienced this problem before and without trouble codes I'm at a loss.

Comment

did you check your main relay?, try to remove under the dashboard and re-solder it, might solve your problem.
              私はフィリピン人

Comment

Mine was doing a routine of revving from 1100 up to 1500, and back down to 1100, over and over. My solution was replacing the IAC valve, and adjusting a screw. Don't remember which one, it wasn't the throttle rotor though.

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

Comment

Does the fitv have anything to do with erratic idle?

Comment

Originally posted by Corbenick View Post
                    Does the fitv have anything to do with erratic idle?
                    absolutely yes.
                    私はフィリピン人

Comment

try cleaning your FITV it might be clogged up or something

Comment

When you start the car, does it start rough ? or idle rough ? Sounds like fuel system.
                        Last edited by tutsuo; 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM.
                        Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X