Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best affordable struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best affordable struts

I have a 1992 honda accord ex coupe. Who has the best affordable struts for front and rear?

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
    I have a 1992 honda accord ex coupe. Who has the best affordable struts for front and rear?
    Everyone here likes KYB or Koni STR.t for a stock or light drop, for a more aggressive drop the only way is Koni yellow.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

While a bit more expensive you can look into Bilstein's also.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=139318

Depends on what you want. Best is Koni Yellows with your choice of spring. Cheapest? Go on RockAuto and see what's there.

Comment

Am looking strictly for a stock ride. What about Detroit Axle?

Comment

CBs have shocks, not struts.

Anyway, as said, "best" depends on what you plan to do. If you're using stock springs and simply want stock replacement, any quality brand will do. KYB GR2, Tokico HP, and Koni STR.T are good choices for stock replacement (and as said, even good for a VERY mild drop... no lower than 1.5")
            I've never heard of Detroit Axle, but I'd be pretty comfortable in saying that they're just generic junk. By looking at their website, it seems to be what they sell. The do axles and steering racks in-house. Everything else is most certainly ordered from an undisclosed overseas supplier... I wouldn't trust that for such important parts.

Comment

KYB GR2s will give you the best ride I think for the most economical price.

There are others cheaper out on the market, but they won't last long (monroe, gabriel). Those are carried at the parts stores and their seals aren't nearly as well made as the Japanese KYBs are.

I have a set of KYB AGX (performance, adjustable damping) shocks that have been on my car since August 2005 and they're still functioning decently with no signs of leakage. That's pretty good considering since I'm lowered about 2.5" on some stiffer Ground Control coilovers. I can tell they're tired though, and will probably get replaced after my 5 lug conversion is completed.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Does anyone know of any decent quick connect types with compressed coil spring included?

Comment

Decent? No. You're not going to find anything quality like that. Such things exist solely to profit off of people's laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Decent? No. You're not going to find anything quality like that. Such things exist solely to profit off of people's laziness.
                    As i am lazy. Perfect. What is wrong with these ready struts. Seems to be they can be of same quality as others. Don't understand what makes it better cause you have to compress the spring yourself. Is there some quality standard that cant be met cause of that.

Comment

They are lower quality products. They will not perform as well, and they will not last as long. You may very well find yourself changing them again this time next year. Quality matters. Especially when it comes to suspension. Your life is riding on that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                        Way back in '04 when I had more time than money I faced a similar dilemma.
                        While I always maintained my cars using only OEM parts I couldn't afford to have a mechanic replace my shocks at that time either.

You don't state if you plan to have a mechanic do this or if you're doing it yourself?

If you're looking to save money because someone else is doing it the solution is to DIY it which is exactly what I did. You can have good quality shocks and cut your expenses in half.

I inexpensively purchased a set of spring compressors from Harbor Freight (about $10 I recall) and armed with my Helm manual and several user group forums I spent several days tackling it. It may not take you as long but I gave myself extra time just in case. You can also rent or borrow these from several auto parts stores.

If you take it slow, use the spring compressors carefully and practice common sense it's not hard. It's actually more intimidating and time consuming than difficult especially if it's your first time.

By bypassing the mechanic and finding the best online dealer pricing I bought 4 Honda OEM shocks and saved about half the cost of having a mechanic do it...

FWIW here are a few pics to get you started:

Front replacement:

The rears were simpler:

Except here where I encountered an alignment issue while installing the lower bolt:

If I recall the fix was to jack the each side (not on the fork but near the disc to raise the suspension up slightly) until it realigns and then insert the bolts otherwise no issues:

Hope this helps...
                        Last edited by hiptech; 06-20-2018, 11:17 AM.
                        My Collection:
                        93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                        00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                        04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                          You don't state if you plan to have a mechanic do this or if your doing it yourself?
                          I am doing this myself and hence why i am going to purchase a complete strut assembly or quick strut as some call it.

Comment

Then why bother asking, if you already decided to buy crap?
                            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Then why bother asking, if you already decided to buy crap?
                              Good luck.
                              LOL. I have a uphill outdoor parking in colorado and i need to diy and im old. Must be done in less than a few hours so i sort of have to do it this way. I do have a mechanic but honda mechanics aren't cheap as neither is he. It seems alot of those(including munroe's) are made in china and china quality is crap. What about kyb's u think?

Comment

Working...
                              X