Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Only running on 2 cylinders.. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only running on 2 cylinders.. Help!

Fist off its a 93 accord coupe. F22A1 with a 5 speed. When I bought it, it was known that it had a leaky iintake gasket. Car came with a bunch of parts from a donor. Anyway.. I relaxed the gasket, and swapped the manifold to one that appeared to be iin better shape and gave it a full tune up and replaced the dizzy. Took some time as I had been working 60hrs a week and Massachusetts winter was still here. First problem I noticed was sticky Exhaust valves. Im guessing by looking at the oil that maybe some flushes with some marvel mystery oil will free them up. Gave it a look today and its still running rough. Pulled the #4 wire on a hunch that it wasn't firing. No change... I figured for the heck of it to pull #1 in addition... Guess what? No change. My plan is to clean the injectors and go from there and donthe first flush. What do yall think?

Hi,

The first thing I would do it to do a vacuum leak test by warming up the car and spraying carb cleaner around the manifold to see if the idle rises.. If it rises then you have a manifold leak and that could be causing part of your problems and needs to be addressed first.

Unless you have already done a compression test on all 4 cylinders already, this should be done just to make sure that your valves are closing all the way on the compression stroke. Check the internet for the compression level needed. there shouldn't be a big difference in the 4 readings they should all be similar. If one is way lower than the others, then you have some new problems to deal with and another post to put on here.

If you have good compression then go after the spark side of the equation first.

First off, make sure you have known good plugs that are properly gapped.. Do not assume that they are gapped correctly out of the box. The gap for NGK plugs is .044 I believe. I would just replace them if you haven't already.

When you remove the old plugs, notice if #1 and #4 are wet with fuel. If they are shiny with fuel, then your injectors are probably working properly and you are having a problem with spark somewhere. if they are dry, then it is obviously a fuel supply issue. but check the spark anyway because you never know.. see testing for spark below..

Test the spark for each cylinder by taking the plug out of the head and putting it back into the plug wire cap and hold the plug against a good ground or engine case or the block somewhere to see if there is even a spark coming out? Do this for all 4 cylinders just to make sure.

If there is no spark even after you replaced the plugs then its either your wires or your distributor that is the problem. Change the wires and test again. If still no spark on 1 and 4 then check and or replace your cap and rotor. Test again.. If still no spark then something in your distributor or your distributor needs to be replaced. if there is spark then go after the fuel angle like you said you were going to do.

Let us know what happens...

Just my 2 cents from my experience.... and just suggestions..

Thanks,

Mac

Comment

Originally posted by nktidwel View Post
      First problem I noticed was sticky Exhaust valves.
      Theres your problem.

Do a compression test, and cylinder leak down. Then fix those valves.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Sorry been busy.... Had spark on all plugs are ok, but dry. However It looked like the fuel filter was original after 244K miles. It was replaced. However, I found more problems... On a hunch, I pulled the valve cover off again, in addition to a couple sticky valves, a spring retainer on another, that was thought to be good, snapped in half. I think I will pull the head and go from there, unless someone has a better idea. I have not yet done a compression test.
        Last edited by nktidwel; 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I would do a compression test asap and see if the engine is even worth this effort it has high miles and with so many CB7's rusted out or wrecked plus all the other engines that can be swapped in why waste your time on a old beat up paper weight?
          " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
            I would do a compression test asap and see if the engine is even worth this effort it has high miles and with so many CB7's rusted out or wrecked plus all the other engines that can be swapped in why waste your time on a old beat up paper weight?
            The compression test will show bad results with already known bad valves.
            That's why you need to do a leak down test.

I'd swap a whole engine, (Or if you don't mind/can recover the cost if ther is further problems) put a 2nd hand head on it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

chipped valves in two of the cylinders, that's my guess.
              “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
              ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Cylinder 4... Had one split spring retainer and 1 snapped valve on the exhaust side. Lots of carbon build up on the valves, stems, and pistons.

Comment

not to promote the company i work for but if you want to do a new complete head it would cost around 419.00 at any advance auto parts.

Comment

I would love one, however my employment is sporadic at the moment. Otherwise I would just go have my head redone or swap a k motor in.

Comment

Runs awesome now! Ended replacing 1 bad exhaust valve, went through the other valves and polished as needed. Cleaned the guides. Cleaned everything I could clean with a brass brush, and some degreaser. While it was apart, I noticed a found an open vaccum port, obviously coreected that small issue. Installednthe head, connected the lines, etc. Cranked it up, it finally is quiet (been loud since march). Found an oil leak on the driver side. Pretty sure its the pan gasket. Still need to reconnect alternator and ps pump and brackets. Idle seems stable, what rpm should it be? Its around 1400-1500 rpm right now.

Comment

750-800 ish rpm

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

rpm after it comes up to temp should be 650-750 rpm
                          Last edited by marvin75; 05-25-2014, 07:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Will attempt to correct it after I get an oil pan gasket.

Comment

The leak I mentioned is either the crank seal or balance shaft seal...

Comment

Working...
                              X