Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those shots are not to bad. What was your set-up and what ISO did you shoot at? Fast glass in great for sports, especially inside or at night as in your case.
    The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
    Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
    Check out my JDM F22B swap
    Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
      those shots are not to bad. What was your set-up and what ISO did you shoot at? Fast glass in great for sports, especially inside or at night as in your case.
      Canon 30d, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, 430ex mounted about 18" below camera on mono
      Average settings for the night:
      1/320- 1/500
      f/4 for more dof; some at f/2.8
      Iso: 800-1600

This is only my second time shooting HS football with the setup above. Im starting to get the hang of it, I just want something longer...story of my life. haha

1999 Honda Prelude
      Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
        Canon 30d, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, 430ex mounted about 18" below camera on mono
        Average settings for the night:
        1/320- 1/500
        f/4 for more dof; some at f/2.8
        Iso: 800-1600

This is only my second time shooting HS football with the setup above. Im starting to get the hang of it, I just want something longer...story of my life. haha
        Does your flash handle shutter speeds that quick? I was under the impression flash didn't sync above 1/250th. Perhaps that's just in Nikon land...? I thought it was more universal. Maybe I'm missing something.
        Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
          Does your flash handle shutter speeds that quick? I was under the impression flash didn't sync above 1/250th. Perhaps that's just in Nikon land...? I thought it was more universal. Maybe I'm missing something.
          I should have been more specific on my settings. Some of those shots are flashed and a few arent. The ones that arent flashed are higher than 1/320 ss, same goes for the ISO 1600 shots(non flashed).

However, I dont see a curtain on my 1/320 flashed shots. It only shows up at 1/400 and higher. Especially in such a dark setting, even if a tiny bit of the shutter curtain shows it isnt noticeable. All shooting was in Manual on both the camera and flash.

1999 Honda Prelude
          Photography Site

Comment

Nice shots!

I think it's a given that we all want longer, faster glass

Originally posted by Maple50175
            Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
              Nice shots!

I think it's a given that we all want longer, faster glass
              I normally wouldnt rebuy a lens in the same focal length, but the 300mm f/4 IS is looking really good right now. I dont know if Id need the 2.8 IS eventually...

1999 Honda Prelude
              Photography Site

Comment

I've seen incredible shots from f/4's. Like, all over Sports Illustrated incredible. Only time it would be limited is in those rare cases of poorly lit night games. That's when that f/2.8 would be handy. Otherwise, just go with the f/4 and put the $$$ to some other gear!

Comment

Thats in the future though, probably the end of next summer. I really wish I shot enough sports to spend the cash on the 300 f/2.8, but I just cant imagine spending that much right now.

1999 Honda Prelude
                  Photography Site

Comment

hmm i was just thinking... the 30D is a crop body and if im correct your sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a full frame lens in which case you already should be at 300mm or close to that. Correct me if im wrong. I think a zoom is pretty useful for sports, especially when the action gets really close to you. A 300mm would be useless at that point. Just my 2 cents
                    The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                    Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                    Check out my JDM F22B swap
                    Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
                      hmm i was just thinking... the 30D is a crop body and if im correct your sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a full frame lens in which case you already should be at 300mm or close to that. Correct me if im wrong. I think a zoom is pretty useful for sports, especially when the action gets really close to you. A 300mm would be useless at that point. Just my 2 cents
                      200 mm on a crop body is 200mm on a crop body. Having the ability to put my 70-200 on my 20d and a 300 on my 30d would allow me to get that much closer to the action. And large primes are sharper than zooms, so thats a plus as well.

1999 Honda Prelude
                      Photography Site

Comment

focal length isnt relative to sensor size.... its related to the distance from the sensor to the first element. 300mm would still be longer on his crop body. canon nor other manufactures as far as im aware do not change focal lengths based on whether its a crop lens or a full frame lens.

i do however agree that u would be pretty limited shooting sports at 300mm unless u are pretty far away...

also if u plan on shooting in anything other than perfect conditions u may as well hold out for the 2.8 instead of going for f4.....

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post

i do however agree that u would be pretty limited shooting sports at 300mm unless u are pretty far away...
                          Really? Tell these guys.
                          http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/760...CFF610D5B4FC25

I think 200 is too short for most action on any field, be it football, soccer, softball, baseball, whatever. 200mm is limiting. And I cant really crop a lot off of 30d files as is. Can you shine some light onto how 300mm is limited?

also if u plan on shooting in anything other than perfect conditions u may as well hold out for the 2.8 instead of going for f4.....
                          I normally stop down to 3.5 or 4 anyways for dof, I rarely use 2.8 for anything other than indoor volleyball or basketball when it is completely needed.
                          That holding out that you speak of is the difference between a $900 lens and a $3600 lens. haha I understand what you are saying about the extra stop of light, but is the stop worth it for a college student to spend $4k on a lens?
                          Last edited by zelseman; 11-10-2009, 03:25 AM.

1999 Honda Prelude
                          Photography Site

Comment

Grab your 300mm, sit in the endzone, and make bank

Simple as that

If the action gets close that's when you switch to the backup with the 70-200

The difference between the f/4 and the f/2.8 is the difference between a career and a hobby.

Comment

I guess I am still not understanding why 300mm is soooooo long that I would have to sit in the endzone. Pro-photogs shoot from sidelines of games with up to 800mm lenses sometimes and they seem to be doing alright. I have also brought out my moms 75-300 just to see if the focal length works for how I shoot and it is perfect. Anything at midfield (soccer and football) is absolutely awesome.

And Im okay with that being the difference between a career and a hobby. I make pretty decent money off of photography and I dont have L lenses, IS, or bodies that shoot ISO 104,000. However I do return a professional result to customers, so f/4 might just have to work for a while until I can afford to have career glass i guess.

1999 Honda Prelude
                              Photography Site

Comment

i think people are speaking of when the important play is 10 feet from u when u are on the sideline and u cant zoom back out to 70 or whatever it may be to get the shot.... u may wanna think about getting a teleconverter for ur 70-200.....

"Tucking tires and wires."
                                The Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X