CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Kamatari+
CB7tuner Member

Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends! Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends!
91 EX is loud (Muffler? Cat?)

I'm a beginner when it comes to cars. Just bought my first one a couple days ago, and it's awfully loud. I took it to the shop for maintenance, and the mechanic told me there is no catalytic converter in the car. Just a straight pipe wield. I also noted the muffler is not stock (but I'm not sure what it is.)

I'm reading a lot of mixed responses concerning the sound. A lot of people are saying having no cat will make the car louder. Some are saying it makes no difference. Some are saying it's all about the muffler. What do you guys think?
Kamatari+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
The cat makes a subtle difference, it's the muffler doing the muffling
Sounds like buddy before you got uncle bob to fit the car with a new exhaust and they went with the cheapest option = straight pipe & a cheap fart can.

For sound related advise, just pop OEM cat and muffler back on there and she'll be quiet again. You can prob check out you tube vids if you want to hear the difference.
Raf99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Kamatari+
CB7tuner Member

Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends! Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends!
Thanks for the advice The mechanic was telling me the part would be $400, but I read something about "universal" cats being much cheaper? Like I said, I don't know much about cars, but I at least look for second opinions before going straight into a "suggestion". Maybe even the junkyard may have it, but I'm a bit weary about getting one from there. I do know the muffler has a much larger diamater than the stock ones (at least when I compare it by pictures), so hopefully that will help.
Kamatari+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
AbsurdNY
Beat Master

AbsurdNY is cool... so far.
Just get this cat. Works just like OEM and is a direct fit for CB7's.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/4002447...=sbar&_lwgsi=y
AbsurdNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
cb7_ex_coupe
CB7tuner Member

cb7_ex_coupe is cool... so far.
They did the same to my current CB, sounds super nice n deep but loud as hell, I was looking into an eBay exhaust n putting an RS-R exhaust tip. my cousin ran that on his prelude and it had a nice quiet but deep sound to it, especially when v-tec hit
Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
JoshM

JoshM has a HUGE cock! JoshM has a HUGE cock! JoshM has a HUGE cock! JoshM has a HUGE cock!
Send a message via AIM to JoshM
I had the same exhaust setup minus the cat.

Without the cat = raspy and loud.
With the cat = smooth and quiet.

(DC header, 2.5" piping, fart can muffler)

1999 BMW M3
2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650
JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
bravedude
CB7tuner Member

bravedude may have said something they shouldn't have...
go to a muffler shop and have them check your resonator. if it has a hole you can go straight pipe. that happened to both my hondas. about 15 to 20 bucks.
bravedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
cloudasc
CB7tuner Member

cloudasc is someone to admire cloudasc is someone to admire cloudasc is someone to admire
If I were to be replacing the stock cat, I would looking at replacing it with a metallic core converter, vs the traditional ceramic. The metallic converter can withstand higher temps, withstand more abuse and lasts significantly longer compared to its ceramic bretheren.

Also most aftermarket cats, aren't meant to last forever, most you'll usually have to replace every 2 years (on a daily driver), or when its inspection/emissions time. Most people when the oem cat is gone, just use a test pipe, and when it comes times to emmissions, they unbolt the test pipe, and bolt up their aftermarket catalytic converter; then after passing, they switch the test pipe back on.

Last edited by cloudasc; 10-13-2011 at 08:52 PM.
cloudasc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: