CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
brsteinbach
CB7tuner Member

brsteinbach seems to have made some friends! brsteinbach seems to have made some friends!
5 Speed Swap, Now Starter Noise.

Hey guy's, I did a 5 speed swap and am using a manual starter, but I am getting this very loud metal on metal noise when cranking over. Anyone have any idea to why this is doing this? I can see on the flywheel that the teeth are meshing. Do I need to try a new starter or what? I'm going to try shimming it but I've never heard of a Honda needing shims.

^^^^^
Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7
brsteinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
brsteinbach
CB7tuner Member

brsteinbach seems to have made some friends! brsteinbach seems to have made some friends!
Bump? Please!

^^^^^
Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7
Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Davids92Accord
CB7tuner Member

Davids92Accord is cool... so far.
Where did you get the starter and Flywheel? are they both specifically for 90-93 Manual Accord? where did you sort all your parts from?

It seems to be coming from that area and truthfully it sounds like the starter and flywheel are not grooving together because the teeth don't line up.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
"2SIIC"
Authentic Jerseys for sale
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Last edited by Davids92Accord; 01-04-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Davids92Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
brsteinbach
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids92Accord View Post
Where did you get the starter and Flywheel? are they both specifically for 90-93 Manual Accord? where did you sort all your parts from?

It seems to be coming from that area and truthfully it sounds like the starter and flywheel are not grooving together because the teeth don't line up.
I got the whole clutch kit and flywheel from a bunch of my friends for a moving away gift and it is for a CB7. It is this kit. I got the starter off of the parts car I used for the whole swap. So it may be pretty old. I really hope it's just the starter because I can't afford another flywheel/clutch kit and it would also be very disappointing since I got it as a gift from all of my buddies. Plus I do not want to deal with taking my transmission back out.

^^^^^
Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
brsteinbach
CB7tuner Member

I found out that it's the starter. It has probably around 200K miles on it. Thanks for the help though! David!

^^^^^
Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7
Old 01-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
I was going to say, that is almost certainly a dying starter. You can tell by the slow crank, but they also start to sound like that when they are worn out. Usually happens between 200-300K on this gen Accord.

I have a manual starter on my car that sounds a little bad, but it cranks fine so I haven't changed it yet. I think that one had about 260K on it when I pulled the starter.

Glad you figured it out.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: