CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Appearance > Lighting

Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, lights work intermittently

Ok so as y’all know I did the retrofit to my headlights a couple months ago and recently I am having an issue where when I turn the lights on either one will come on and not the other or both won’t come on. I am getting power from the car harness to the relay, from the relay to both ballasts , yet the ballasts don’t turn on or hum. It works 90% of the time if I unplug the ballast and replug it in. But I don’t want to keep doing this.

I talked with The retrofit source about it and we both thought it might be the relay. So they sent me out a new one and the the issue still exists. I am clueless right now as the issue is never consistent.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Only time I seen this was with cheap relays. Obviously you're getting 12V to the relay ?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Yes it’s morimoto HD relay. Which I’ve already replaced through their warranty. So it wasn’t the relay.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
Old 01-02-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
Yes itís morimoto HD relay. Which Iíve already replaced through their warranty. So it wasnít the relay.
And the 12V ...........?
Old 01-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Oh sorry yes I am getting 12v to the relay from oem harness and from the relay to the ballast. I just haven’t figured out how to check from the ballast to igniters and igniters to bulbs yet.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Is this the XB35 ballast? Is the ground side ok?

YouTube Clicky!!
sonikaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
Raf99
Gold Member

I've seen in in the past but was always the same story. Had 12V on both sides, but the ballast would power up different speeds or not power up on one side. Also related to any other accessories putting a drain on the car / system. But mainly was cheap ballasts powering the bulbs.

If you swap ballasts (R / L) does the issue happen on the other side?
Old 01-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
'93CB7Ex
Gold Member

'93CB7Ex seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to '93CB7Ex
my relay harness got full of water and corroded it to pieces.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
my relay harness got full of water and corroded it to pieces.
The accord hasn’t seen rain since I’ve done the retrofit and it doesn’t see rain unless it appears out of no where. It is garage kept and only driven on sunny weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
Is this the XB35 ballast? Is the ground side ok?
Yes these are XB35. As for the ground to the relay I literally took a flapper wheel to get bare metal in the area where the battery normally sits. So it’s the best I can do minus running it all the way back to the battery in the trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
I've seen in in the past but was always the same story. Had 12V on both sides, but the ballast would power up different speeds or not power up on one side. Also related to any other accessories putting a drain on the car / system. But mainly was cheap ballasts powering the bulbs.

If you swap ballasts (R / L) does the issue happen on the other side?
I haven’t tried that yet since I’ve gotten the new relay. But that is my next step. I don’t believe morimoto is considered cheap but I can be wrong. I may ask for a refund and switch to LEDs and get rid of the ballast and igniters all together.

Last edited by Grumpys93; 01-03-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Raf99
Gold Member

What's the relay for?
& have you tried this with one ballast totally unplugged? I mean if you unplug the left side does the right side have any issues at all?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

To be honest I don’t know. My old cheap Chinese ones don’t require a relay. I’m guessing to add a fail safe feature maybe. It’s the HD relay 9006. You can look it up on their website. I’ll swap the ballast tomorrow and see what happens. When the passenger side worked and I unplugged the driver side and replugged it in nothing happen to both. Passenger remained on and driver side never came on. I haven’t tried doing it with the working one yet. I’ll dig deep into this issue tomorrow when my daughter takes a nap.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
To be honest I donít know. My old cheap Chinese ones donít require a relay. Iím guessing to add a fail safe feature maybe........
Think you found your problem. I don't run a relay, never have. And running all hidretrofit stuff.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

I would however, the ballasts don’t come with the correct plug. So I would have to splice together the two plugs to make it work. I will troubleshoot a little more before I start making my own products. I just don’t see why I’m the only one dealing with this issue if the relay is at fault. If the relay wasn’t working correctly, shouldn’t I not see any voltage at the ballast?
Old 01-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #14
Raf99
Gold Member

You are seeing intermittent connectivity / voltage. Faulty or poorly working relays would do this. It's the only component in the system that works in this manner. But I'm confused why this is not plug and play. Why did you order ballast that don't take the 9005/9006 plug.

Example:
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #15
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

It wasn’t offered at theretrofitsource and I’ve known plenty of people who went through them. So I wasn’t expecting any problems. I honestly think it has to be a ballast. I was reading up on those XB35 ballast and if they sense any fault they won’t send power to bulb. Maybe one of the ballast is faulty. Right now they are both working. So once one fails again I’ll swap them.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #16
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

So swapped ballast and igniters and didnt follow so ballast and igniters are good. But I did find out the ballast are 9006, however morimoto made it so their ballast only take weather proof plugs and my tradition harness plug wonít fit. So I have to go to the junkyard and get some 9006 plugs to cut up to fit in the ballast. Theretrofitsource has awesome customer service by the way. You will just to wait for a call back as they are super busy.

So I will see if taking the relay out fixís the issue. If it does TRFS said I can send the relay back and get my money back for that. If not then we will be changing the bulbs, igniters and ballast. If that still doesnít work then Iíll be putting LEDs in

Last edited by Grumpys93; 01-12-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #17
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

So I depinned the HD relay 9006 plugs to repin my oem harness with the weather proof plugs, So I have taken the relay completely out of the equation. So far so good, Ill give it a test every day for the next couple of days and see if it fails again.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:31 PM   #18
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
So I depinned the HD relay 9006 plugs to repin my oem harness with the weather proof plugs, So I have taken the relay completely out of the equation. So far so good, Ill give it a test every day for the next couple of days and see if it fails again.
Ya makes perfect sense. Relay is usually a heat inducted coil or piece of metal, etc. and the heating up process / switch over is not identical. I think in this case they are storing power (capacitors) which again .... are never identical.

I'm assuming these relays are for to filter out the "bad power" for cars that have not upgraded properly, etc. I'm sure the company may blame your car (age) for the issue too. But if your electrical system is stable, don't see why these are needed. But technically these should work too.

Glad it's working now.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #19
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

So went to turn on the head lights and driver side didn’t work unless I unplugged it. So I call retrofit source and they are sending me out a new ballast. If that doesn’t work then it will be the igniter. And then the bulb. If none of those work I’m going LED.

Their customer service is awesome. They haven’t blamed my car once in the multiple times I have called.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #20
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
So went to turn on the head lights and driver side didnít work unless I unplugged it. So I call retrofit source and they are sending me out a new ballast. If that doesnít work then it will be the igniter. And then the bulb. If none of those work Iím going LED.

Their customer service is awesome. They havenít blamed my car once in the multiple times I have called.
Agreed, but you don't need relays if you have a steady 12V and no electrical issues. This is like folks who use power capacitors with their amps because they didn't upgrade their wiring (big3). Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: