Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22A or D16Z6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A or D16Z6?

My b/f and I have been talking about engine builds and swaps for my 94 Civic EX, we have come down to these options.

#1: Cammed D16Z6.

I already have a decent running Z6 in the car with about 182K miles on it, leaks oil, the usual.I already have a short ram and 60mm B18 TB on it. We thought of installing a Bisimoto stage 2 cam and Pro valve springs. With a 2.25 in exhaust, we estimate in between 150-160 hp. Of course, the question my BF has is, does the Z6 head have good enough flow to make this a worthwhile N/A build? Of course down the road we could throw a turbo setup on and make some great power along with the cam.

Cost here-
    Cam - $350
    Springs - $180
    Seals and stuff - $20-50

#2: Cammed F22A

The 2nd option we have is a F22A1 from a wrecked parts car we are picking up. This engine runs great and has 138K miles, which I like. We could throw in a Delta 272 or, if i can afford it, a Bisi stage 2. But the expense is gonna be higher with this option, but we all know the potential of the F22a. I will also have to source a manual tranny, as the donor car is automatic. Plus mounts and axles. Exhaust system, we'd make a custom downpipe out of an old A6 d/p with a 2.25" collector and a custom exhaust. Intake system, H23A manifold and TB, blocked EGR.

Cost here-
    Cam - $100-225
    Mounts - $150
    Axles - $120
    Engine - $100
    H22/H23 Tranny and shifter - $200 (estimate)
    Misc - $200 - 500 (estimate)

Figure in cost of tuning on both options. My boyfriend is a whiz when it comes to electronics and wiring, so no cost for chipping and custom wiring harnesses.

I'd like to see others input on this, as I can't decide and would like pros and cons pointed out to me. And anything we might have missed. Basically looking for best bang for the buck. Thanks

PS, I posted this here because no other site I know of on the web even cares about the F22, especially Civic sites, so here I am. I put this in offtopic instead of Technical/performance because its for a Civic, not an Accord.

Option one is going to be simpler, option two is way cooler, but more work and expensive.
    wat?

Comment

I would say go for the F

1. Less Miles
      2. More power potential
      3. You can always change head later on down the road.

As much as I like the D series motors and the power they can produce, I think the F is a better bet due to it producing more power stock. Yes it may weigh more but you will make up for it in the long run. And you did mention boost and boosted F's are pretty nice from what I hear.
      That is my 2 cents.
      The CB7 Collector.
      Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
      92 LX Coupe F22A1
      2013 Toyota Corolla S
      92 EX Sedan F22A1
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Try a frankenstein setup. D16 with F22 head since we all know the F22 has god like head flow and the D16 lower end would be great for the hard vtec runs.

Comment

Originally posted by tunerman View Post
          Try a frankenstein setup. D16 with F22 head since we all know the F22 has god like head flow and the D16 lower end would be great for the hard vtec runs.
          Sounds FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!
          wat?

Comment

f22 ftw d15 d16 sucks

2014 bisimoto parts coming soon

Comment

Bisimoto also did a lot of work with the D series... I wouldn't doubt that they have a ton of potential as well.

However, I would go with the F22, if you can afford it. Honestly, unless you KNOW you can do it for that amount... I would double your estimated cost, at least. The F22 swap into the Civic isn't all that simple, and lots of custom work will need to be done. That means lots of unforseen problems, broken parts, etc... Don't go into it with a tiny budget, or you might end up half done and out of cash!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                Bisimoto also did a lot of work with the D series... I wouldn't doubt that they have a ton of potential as well.

However, I would go with the F22, if you can afford it. Honestly, unless you KNOW you can do it for that amount... I would double your estimated cost, at least. The F22 swap into the Civic isn't all that simple, and lots of custom work will need to be done. That means lots of unforseen problems, broken parts, etc... Don't go into it with a tiny budget, or you might end up half done and out of cash!
                good point. nothing ever seems to go according to planned when fixing cars, something always pops up to surprise you and cost more pain and money. i have a fairly small budget being a poor college student and all

Comment

If this is your only car, I would definitely go the cheaper route... If it's a project car with no time limit, then do whatever you want! Just budget accordingly, and save your pennies.

Comment

you guys should toss in the F, i was talking to eric about it today.

heres mho

Drop in the f22

Use a H2B adapter and use a LS transmission from an integra, or even get a H2D adapter (has been done) and use your stock transmission from the z6.

Future mods:

H22 IM and TB

full exhaust with resonators and such fabbed by lous probably since they gave eriuc the good hookup

Cam

forced induction?

Comment

you'll need integra axles as well so might as well do the F2B

h22squad.com - good tech on f/h swaps into other chassis

Comment

F2D would be great, but it kinda blows the budget out of the water. I was thinking of going the same route rexload did, cheap generic mounts sourced from eBay, H tranny and cable shifter conversion. Although with that option, your stuck with an F/H drivetrain unless you wanna reverse fab.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Hard vtec runs? Not with an F22 head... vtec is only in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post
                            Hard vtec runs? Not with an F22 head... vtec is only in the head.
                            Get your facts right before you challenge my knowledge.

Comment

Get your facts right before you challenge my knowledge.
                              What are you talking about? the f22 does not have vtec. I should know, I have one!

If you use a d16 block, there still wont be vtec. As I said, vtec is only in the head. I know what it does!

Comment

Working...
                              X