Brake Issues after conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Issues after conversion

I just recently did a rear disk & 5lug conversion to my wagon. i bled the brakes about 5 times and still have a spongy feel to it. The brake pedal is hard when the wagon is off but when i turn it on and pump the brakes it goes straight to the ground. If i pump the pedal as i am driving it will apply a little more pressure to the brakes but not much. I was wondering if it can be the brake master cylinder or the brake booster or both? Will the 40/40 proportioning valve from the (DA) integra make a big difference? I really need to get this thing back on the road SAFETLY. Thanks for any advice or info

I was reading a few threads on the braking upgrades and conversions. I have a prelude parts car in my back yard will upgrading the master cylinder and brake booster from that be an upgrade or helpful? its a prelude SH

Comment

Originally posted by My93Cb7 View Post
      I was wondering if it can be the brake master cylinder or the brake booster or both?
      Yes yes and yes again.
      Will the 40/40 proportioning valve from the (DA) integra make a big difference?
      Also yes...

Also check to see if your fluid level is dropping and you have any bad calipers.

Do you have ABS? What was your bleeding procedure?

Comment

i checked the fluid level and it is fine, no leaks at all. i dried everything after bleeding it and no signs of any leaks. i bled it how the Accord manual says. RR,LF,RL&Fr I do not have ABS it is an lx the calipers seem to be working just no stopping power.

Comment

Most likely a bad master and the 40/40 valve missing are your problems.

Comment

I just recently did a rear disk & 5lug conversion to my wagon. i bled the brakes about 5 times and still have a spongy feel to it. The brake pedal is hard when the wagon is off but when i turn it on and pump the brakes it goes straight to the ground. If i pump the pedal as i am driving it will apply a little more pressure to the brakes but not much. I was wondering if it can be the brake master cylinder or the brake booster or both? Will the 40/40 proportioning valve from the (DA) integra make a big difference? I really need to get this thing back on the road SAFETLY. Thanks for any advice or info
            did you have the spongy pedal feeling before the rear disc and 5 lug conversion? if the answer is no; then i highly doubt you have an issue with the brake master cylinder and/or the brake booster. the 40/40 is optional. there is a diy on the 4040 and the op stated that he felt very little difference.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...040+prop+valve
            i went from stock lx w/ drums to rear disc, then legend gs dual pistons up front, then 5 lug, and now wilwood 4 piston up front, and i am on original prop valve, original brake master cylinder and booster. (this is over the 6 years i have had the car) and still have no issues what so ever.

double check all of your brake components for any leaks. if you do not have any leaks, then you still have air in the system. have a friend help you pump and bleed the brakes.
            Last edited by PhatAccord; 12-07-2012, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Your brakes aren't bleeding out, seems like you still have air in the system. Did you install the calipers on the correct sides? The bleeder needs to be pointing upward in order to expel all the air when bleeding. If its pointing downwards you'll be getting fluid and no air so it'll seem like its bled, but you'll still have a soft pedal.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

i got all my 5lug stuff that was on a wagon already. From Swk_Cb7 to be exact. So i just put everything on the way i got it. Obviously new pads and rotors. I will double check my calipers to make sure the bleeder valve is up and not down. The spongy feeling was there before but it stopped. Now i get close to nothing. There are no leaks at all. I had a buddy of mine help me bleed all 4 corners and everything seemed normal. I will keep those who have helped posted. Thanks again

Comment

It sounds to me like you have a internal leak in the brake master cylinder since you aren't loosing any fluid.

One way to test the brake booster is by following these steps:

1) With the car off pump the brake pedal until fully firm.
                  2) Keep your foot on the brake pedal as if you were braking.
                  3) Turn the car on, you should feel the brake pedal sink about 1/4- 1/2 inch.

If the pedal doesn't sink and stay firm then you have a bad brake booster

Comment

I am about to find out if my BB is bad tomorrow. I was having a similar issue with my LX as well.
                    The CB7 Collector.
                    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                    92 LX Coupe F22A1
                    2013 Toyota Corolla S
                    92 EX Sedan F22A1
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

It is possible for the master cylinder to just stop working without any notice, I had mine go out without warning on the interstate before. Not fun. I would re-bleed your system to make 100% sure there is no air in the lines.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Working...
                      X