How to clean license plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clean license plate?

I never really cared about the appearance of my license plate until now, I started cleaning the car up a bit and it's really noticeable now. Anyways, I've tried scrubbing it down with soap and water but that didn't budge at all. Any easy ideas or should I just buy a new one?

Call your local DMV?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Excuse me being a noob, but what do I ask them for? Would they be able to replace the plate for me for free or what

Comment

I'd probably call them up and tell them exactly what it looks like and what you should do.
        If they say damage is already done, ask if they replace it for free.

These are just my logical guesses. I've never needed to worry about it.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

My mom's looks really bad, I'm going to tell her to just get a new plate during the next registration period.

Comment

They wont be free, looking on California DMV site it will be $20 for new plates.

Comment

that's not dirty, that's the paint cracking. The only way to fix that is get new plates, but as said above, it won't be free

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

You could always hit it with engine desgreaser, a pressure washer.

That will remove most of the crud.

Maybe a sanding...

then match the paint and use a hobby brush to repaint CALIFORNIA

and the numbers etc.

I guess it wouldn't be free, maybe cheaper.

Comment

yeah, no amount of cleaning will fix that. repaint or replace. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Run it until it falls off or they re-assign you a plate. Texas gives you a new plate every 5 years of registration I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                      You could always hit it with engine desgreaser, a pressure washer.

That will remove most of the crud.

Maybe a sanding...

then match the paint and use a hobby brush to repaint CALIFORNIA

and the numbers etc.

I guess it wouldn't be free, maybe cheaper.
                      Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                      yeah, no amount of cleaning will fix that. repaint or replace. later.
                      OP, see if this is legal in your state before painting it.

In my home state of MA it is illegal to repaint your license plate even if you are "fixing" it.
                      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Right, there is a special reflective paint and a 3D hologram in the finish on my new TX plates. If it isn't seen the plate is considered counterfeit and you go to jail for fraud.

Comment

Repainting the plate in CA isn't allowed either. With the much older style plates, one could get away with it, but newer ones (early 1980s) that have reflectorized paint would be obvious.

It maybe be possible to ask for a direct (same number) replacement. Ask the DMV and let us know!

Comment

I think lost/stolen/damaged plates can be replicated, but I don't see why you'd want to do that. Easier just to get a new set.

When I lived in Ontario, plates are on a plate to owner basis, rather than plate to vehicle like some states. Every year I renewed my sticker, or got a new car, I would always a get a new plate so I could have the newest combination at the time.

Comment

i like the old school block letters which makes the car feel more "90's". it's like having the classic black and yellow plates on an old school because it makes it worth a little more.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X