Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressed nitrogen bottle. Whats it used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compressed nitrogen bottle. Whats it used for?

I got a large bottle of compressed nitrogen gave to me today. Its a bottle like what is used for Oxygen Acetylene torches.

It has a green label that says: Compressed Nitrogen UN1066.

I have searched on the net and the only uses I can find is medical, inflating tires, and HVAC stuff.

If I cant refill it with Oxy or Ace I don't want it. I'm searching for uses so I can hopefully find a buyer by knowing who to market it towards.

I believe its full as its heavy as can be. Its about 5 foot tall I would say.

The bottle says something about medical use and being from Kansas City.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

We use them at work to refill accumulators. You can always use it and possibly trade it for an oxygen or acetylene tank at a gas place.
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Laughing gas...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
        Laughing gas...
        I'm pretty sure you're thinking of nitrous oxide.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
          I'm pretty sure you're thinking of nitrous oxide.
          Yep.

I use it a lot at work for purging out piping in chemical plants. It's a good inert gas that drives oxygen/air/other chemicals out of the plant.

Other uses include filling bags of food prior to shipping. The inert nitrogen keeps the food better longer.

The connections on the top of the tank are nitrogen/argon specific, and you cannot use a regulator for oxygen, etc with this bottle.

See if there is an AirGas supplier local.

Comment

Nitrogen + oxygen = nitrous oxide

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill83 View Post
              nitrogen + Oxygen = Nitrous Oxide
              N2o ≠ N2o3
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

is it one of the more narrow bottles or one like we have at my job below?

we use the smaller bottles when this one is getting filled actually.. i work in polyurethane manufacturing and we use it because its heavier than oxygen and it helps prevent the resins we use from air curing.. we have a line fed to each one of those tanks to help push the resins and other chemicals out of the valves we use to weigh up the proper grams for each pour..

Comment

Maybe a nearby moto track purveyor would purchase it,to fill the guys shocks

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
                    We use them at work to refill accumulators. You can always use it and possibly trade it for an oxygen or acetylene tank at a gas place.
                    Ok thats good news.

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                    Laughing gas...
                    That would be nice. Jk.

It says not to inhale or anything. It says something on it about it not being dangerous, just not to inhale it. And something about what to do if you stop breathing after inhaling it.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                    Yep.

I use it a lot at work for purging out piping in chemical plants. It's a good inert gas that drives oxygen/air/other chemicals out of the plant.

Other uses include filling bags of food prior to shipping. The inert nitrogen keeps the food better longer.

The connections on the top of the tank are nitrogen/argon specific, and you cannot use a regulator for oxygen, etc with this bottle.

See if there is an AirGas supplier local.
                    We have PG Walker in Springfield which is not to far from me.

While trying to see all of its uses I came across Nitrogen specific regulators.

Originally posted by Mista Juice View Post
                    is it one of the more narrow bottles or one like we have at my job below?

we use the smaller bottles when this one is getting filled actually.. i work in polyurethane manufacturing and we use it because its heavier than oxygen and it helps prevent the resins we use from air curing.. we have a line fed to each one of those tanks to help push the resins and other chemicals out of the valves we use to weigh up the proper grams for each pour..
                    Its a smaller bottle that looks identical to an oxygen bottle for a cutting torch set up.

I did come up with something about plastic welding/urethane welding along with my search. I did not read into it too much because it sounded over my head.

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                    Maybe a nearby moto track purveyor would purchase it,to fill the guys shocks
                    I will keep that in mind. Like I said I got it for free and I couldn't turn it down. A friend of a friend had it in his garage and said yesterday his neighbor moved and asked if he wanted it. He took it and turned around and gave it to me at a party last night/ this morning.

-
                    I'm really glad its not something I am not supposed to have as that did cross my mind.

I'm sure driving home with it in my trunk/backseat area sticking out the trunk was illegal as hell. I really had no other way to get it other than folding my back seat down and sticking it in there.

Hellraisin was there last night at the party as well and said he thought a license was needed to transport it or at least for it to be chained down.

With that being said how the hell do I transport the thing? Is it bad to get caught with it in my trunk?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

You can use it to fill your tires too, nitrogen is less corrosive than compressed air. Yeah I was just kidding about the nitrous oxide, don't try it!

Comment

honestly not sure about the legality of transporting it.. we get ours delivered by AirGas (large and small tanks) and they pick up our empties.. i am pretty sure that just having it laying in a car isnt quite safe either.. if someone hits you and the valve ruptures, youll be in some shit.. obviously the large one is wide enough not to tip over, but the smaller ones are kept in a small "cage" type area where they cant tip over.. if we use one of the smaller ones, a chain is wrapped around the valve and anchored to the resin tank next to the nitrogen tank in my pic above so it doesnt fall over..

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice View Post
                          honestly not sure about the legality of transporting it.. we get ours delivered by AirGas (large and small tanks) and they pick up our empties.. i am pretty sure that just having it laying in a car isnt quite safe either.. if someone hits you and the valve ruptures, youll be in some shit.. obviously the large one is wide enough not to tip over, but the smaller ones are kept in a small "cage" type area where they cant tip over.. if we use one of the smaller ones, a chain is wrapped around the valve and anchored to the resin tank next to the nitrogen tank in my pic above so it doesnt fall over..
                          Same as in our facility. They're chained together with a cap over the valve assembly.

OP, the reason you cannot inhale nitrogen (if you didn't already know...apologize if I'm stating the obvious) is that you can suffocate yourself.

I wonder what pressure the bottle is at, I'm thinking probably 2000 psig.

Comment

maybe sell it to a minitrucker. there are a ton in the springfield/branson area and a nitrogen setup is initially cheaper than buying compressors and a tank.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Sell it to a mech in the aviation industry. They use nitrogen in the tires and shocks for some jets/aircraft.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                              -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Working...
                              X