Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard start during high temperatures

Good day to all and to all a good day.

This past week I've developed a long cranking issues when the car sits outside in the sun all day. When I leave for work in the morning (70-75 degrees outside) car fires right up without any problems. After it sits outside all day in the sun, (8-9 hours when it's 95 degrees outside) I've noticed it takes longer to crank before it fires up.

My first thought was the main relay (high heat situation) even though I replaced it about six years ago.

Could the main relay be causing this again or is this something else?

Thanks!

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post

This past week I've developed a long cranking issues when the car sits outside in the sun all day. When I leave for work in the morning (70-75 degrees outside) car fires right up without any problems. After it sits outside all day in the sun, (8-9 hours when it's 95 degrees outside) I've noticed it takes longer to crank before it fires up.

My first thought was the main relay (high heat situation) even though I replaced it about six years ago.

Thanks!

I live is AZ. Just recently same thing started happening to me once temps got above 100 and car sitting out in the sun. After swapping in a new main relay, no issues anymore. Id try that first. Its not expensive and easy to get to. If that doesnt work, id move onto the next thing. Test to make sure you have enough fuel pressure, mauve your filter is coffee and needs a new one. Pump starting to go out?

Comment

It definitely is possible.

Did you replace it with a used good condition relay? If so, then you don't know the wear and tear it experienced before you got it. Certainly not surprising that it is failing again. Especially when considering that this is a common issue for accords and hondas in general.

Even new have been known to not last as long as you'd think they would.

Pull the main relay and resolder all of the points. Throw it back in and it should be fixed.

If not, then your issue is somewhere else.

Comment

Check your grounds after you try to start the car. If they get hot, clean the grounds and get new wires. Starter solenoid are known for starting problems in hot weather. Heat = resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post

Thanks!
          i'm in the same boat today AND for the kick in the ass

i was working at my Cosworth Vega club buddies AUTO PARTS STORE today and this problem didn't show up until 40 minutes after closing when i went to pick up the wife to go food shopping
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
            It definitely is possible.

Did you replace it with a used good condition relay? If so, then you don't know the wear and tear it experienced before you got it. Certainly not surprising that it is failing again. Especially when considering that this is a common issue for accords and hondas in general.

Even new have been known to not last as long as you'd think they would.

Pull the main relay and resolder all of the points. Throw it back in and it should be fixed.

If not, then your issue is somewhere else.
            my issue is crank no start then crank some more and it will start
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Common no-start things that tend to act up in the hot weather are:

Main relay (probably the most common, as you can see by the replies)
              Igniter
              Ignition switch
              Battery cables (corrosion-related issues seem to occur most frequently in the heat.)
              Distributor
              Fuel pump (especially if you let the tank get below 1/4 on a regular basis...)

Some of those can be intermittent. Some will fail and leave you stranded until they're replaced. All but the fuel pump are easy to fix.

Comment

Working...
              X