Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 Accord race car Build/Questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And not CB7 content, but still a honda, I took this pic of my NSX I thought you might enjoy

Last edited by aventari; 06-10-2018, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Getting read for the Laguna Seca race, only 3 weeks left.. still have a huge todo list..

Anyway tonight I modified the H23 throttle body and set the TPS voltage.

Question: is it okay to have .45 volts closed throttle and 4.65v at full throttle? I know you're supposed to have 4.5 volts WOT, but the range is too big now.

Also added an ebay intake for $30

Stock F22 tbody:

modified H23 tbody - ported the inlet and ground the shaft and rounded the butterfly edges.. locktited the butterfly screws:

Comparison

ebay intake

Comment

Can’t wait to hear how it performs. What’s the theme of the car this year?
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Honda manual states that it should read "approximately" 0.5v at closed throttle and 4.5v at wide open throttle. You are good with the voltage readings that you have listed.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks GhostAccord, I'll leave it like this and go for some test drives this weekend

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
            Can’t wait to hear how it performs. What’s the theme of the car this year?

Theme is the same "Takata R&D: Recalls and Defects"

I've got too much mechanical work to do on it to bother with updating the theme and the rest of my team (with the exception of my buddy Benino) isn't really involved with the work
            Last edited by aventari; 05-11-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

So the race is Friday, and we're leaving Thursday morning.

Today I put the new race tires on and went for a drive to scrub them in and try to heat cycle them a bit. My last drive before putting it on the trailer and heading up.

After driving around for 10 minutes and some nice 7000 RPM pulls, I go to shift to 3rd and it won't go.
              No grinds, no noises, it just was physically blocking me from pushing the shifter, like the fork was locking up.

Remember this from 2 months ago?
              at first it was locking when shifting from 3rd to 4th, and it really worried me, but once it was installed and filled with fluid, and the motor run a little bit everything smoothed out!
              So now I can't shift into 3rd no matter what RPM, car on or off.

So I go home, let it cool down, and I was getting ready to pull transmission tonight and somehow find and install a junkyard transmission tomorrow before we leave.

I had motor running, and was pushing shifter around gears feeling it, dragging the clutch and slightly grinding gears.. then I felt 3rd gear drag as I pushed on the shifter with it in neutral and idling, the synchro dragged a bit.

I pushed clutch in and it went into 3rd! Now it's shifting perfectly again.
              I drove it for 10 minutes very hard before it got dark and shifted fine at 7000 rpm.

So obviously something is wrong, but I don't have the time or energy to replace the trans tomorrow by myself.

The plan is to buy a junkyard spare and bring it up with us, and just shift easy on track and hope the tranny holds together for 2 days.

ughhhhhhh

But other than that the car is running like a total beast.

Comment

I know that you are wiped out, and were up super late last night towing your car back, and now you are struggling to focus on work with the adrenaline still in your veins, and a lack of sleep messing with your judgement...

BUT how did it go???

Did it shift? Did it last? Did you do well?
                ==========================
                1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

I know that you are wiped out, and were up super late last night towing your car back, and now you are struggling to focus on work with the adrenaline still in your veins, and a lack of sleep messing with your judgement...

BUT how did it go???

Did it shift? Did it last? Did you do well?
                  Hahaha, all true! Here's the story..

This Laguna Seca race was with Lucky Dog https://www.racelucky.com/ and they have a slightly different philosophy, they don't really care about how much money you've put into the car, but they do have 3 classes, A, B, C.

So Friday in the morning before the race, they let all cars out for "qualifying" where you are supposed to drive around for 40 minutes and cycle through all of your drivers. Then they put you into classes based on your lap times. If you sandbag (go slow on purpose) they will bump you up or down classes during the race.

So after qualifying, they put us in B class. With the caliber of cars there, and us having 2 slower drivers, and 2 fast drivers, I really feel we should've been in C--I mean we have probably 130whp...but I can see us being a B car if all of our drivers were fast. Most B class cars had at least 250 hp.

Some of our competition in B class was a ~2001 2 door Accord with a 3.2TL V-6 (J32A, 225+ hp), V6 Maxima, turbo MR2, Lexus SC400, turbo 300zx, turbo Miata, etc

There's definite speed creep going on in crapcan racing. It used to be if we could stay out on track the whole time and not break, we had a good chance of a podium. I think to keep up we really need a to move up to an H22A.

Our pits

Anyway the weekend was structured into 2 separate races, one Fri and one Sat.

Friday:
                  -------------

Friday was the first race with qualifying. I was worried the transmission would blow up, or we'd lose 3rd gear so I brought along a junkyard M2Y4 just in case. Turns out we didn't need it. I went out first and the car ran perfect all day long. It has some more power now with the H23A throttle body, intake manifold, and ebay cold air intake, and I was driving well, I got a best time of the day with 1:53.646. We started the day in 35th place (of 56) and at the end of my stint I had moved us up to 19th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUh_QIe6CrU
                  My morning stint

Next was my friend Benino who also drove great, he and I are about the same speed and with his driving we were in 7th place at lunchtime, and 1st in class.

After lunch our other 2 drivers went who are less familiar with the car and the track and they were turning times about 5-10 seconds off of our pace. Even though we didn't break anything, and had perfect pit stops and drove well, we still just weren't fast enough and ended up in 12th place overall and 5th in class (out of 18).

Saturday:
                  ----------------

Saturday was a whole new race. It started out good, Benino was driving great and had the team in 6th place overall, and 1st in class. He had been out for an hour and 45 minutes and I was suited up, ready to jump in the car and put us in 1st overall (lol).

Benino was driving really fast, he got the best time of the weekend with a 1:52.205.

Unfortuntely, on his last few laps, he came in too hot in the Andretti hairpin and understeered into a Miata he was passing, hitting it hard and taking both cars out.

Short video of the crash...
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhkx-2n5uc

The hit broke the right tie rod, smashed in the fender, damaged the wheels and bent the rear forward control arm.
                  So the front wheel was flopping around and the rear wheel had about 10 degrees of toe in.. I didn't get any pics because I was busy assessing and fixing shit.

The Miata was hit bad too, the hit mangled an Enkei RPF1 wheel and bent up some of their suspension components as well.

So to fix our car, on the front I had a spare used tierod I popped on in about 10 minutes, but at the rear was a different story. I have no spare control arms at all. They don't have them at the parts store and the closest junkyard was an hour away. It's not really possible to bend the arm back and one of my teammates was on the verge of giving up and going home.

After looking at it for a while I figured the only thing was could do was to use the bent control arm, and move it outwards be drilling a new hole in the rear subframe. So I got to work with the hammer to flatten the area and then the drill. After getting the hole done and everything back together, it actually worked really well! The wheel was almost exactly where it was in the first place
                  It took about 2 hours to fix everything.

So after that it was pretty uneventful, I went out next and the car had a bit more oversteer on turn-in when going right, but otherwise felt great. The other guys drove their stints and had no more incidents and we ended up 38th place and 11th in class.

I was just glad we were able to fix it and finish the weekend and get more seat time. I love Laguna Seca and had a great weekend.

Taking the checkered flag

Now as for the car, there's a clunk in the steering, I may have to pull the rack and see if anything is bent/broke there, and I'm not sure what to do about the transmission. Obviously something was wrong, but it seems to be fixed if it can survive 16 hours of abuse. I'll probably just leave it and take the spare to the next races.
                  Last edited by aventari; 07-17-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Great that the first day went well. The car held up well despite the crash. Did the Miata get back out there?

The video looked like you were really fast. But the speeds shown were typical crapcan type speeds. Still great laps times for an Accord.
                    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

The Miata did get back out there a little bit ahead of us. I was glad for that.

I'd say we were doing really well speed-wise. Like I don't think that car has much more in it. To be more competitive, we really need an H22, however once we do that, I'm sure reliability will suffer. We'll start breaking axles and overheating the brakes--we still have drums in the rear...

I think the next thing is to really start cutting weight out and maybe add a bit of aero. I'm planning on gutting the trunk lid and hinges and fitting it on with hood pins, cutting out the bumper supports a bit, cleaning up and removing unused wiring, drilling speed holes lol etc.

Comment

I was looking at the Lucky Dog website thinking about next year and I saw something cool that I think everyone here should know.

The website said that Randy Probst was driving with "Too Stupid To Know Better Racing" in their Volvo 700 series wagon (probably a turbo w/ 170hp or more) in class A. So I downloaded the lap times. The lap times are only posted for Saturday, but their first driver was noticeably faster than their others posting consistent 1:52s and a 1:48. That was most likely Randy. Our own Aventari posted a 1:53 and his team mate a 1:52. If that really was Mr. Probst in the Volvo then the lap times posted in that little old Accord, are very impressive.

Randy Probst is a muti-championship-winning professional racer. Google him.
                        Last edited by ukemike; 07-18-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                          I was looking at the Lucky Dog website thinking about next year and I saw something cool that I think everyone here should know.

The website said that Randy Probst was driving with "Too Stupid To Know Better Racing" in their Volvo 700 series wagon (probably a turbo w/ 170hp or more) in class A. So I downloaded the lap times. The lap times are only posted for Saturday, but their first driver was noticeably faster than their others posting consistent 1:52s and a 1:48. That was most likely Randy. Our own Aventari posted a 1:53 and his team mate a 1:52. If that really was Mr. Probst in the Volvo then the lap times posted in that little old Accord, are very impressive.

Randy Probst is a muti-championship-winning professional racer. Google him.
                          Haha, yeah I was out there for that first session on Saturday and was racing with Randy for a few laps, he was an incredible driver. He was so smooth and knew exactly how to handle traffic it was amazing being behind him just trying to keep up

I didn't get to talk to him, but he was really a nice guy hanging out with everyone and driving cars for fun. I really wish I would've asked him to take a spin in our CB7 and let us know how to make it faster and see what it's capable of!

Comment

After the last race and the crash, some work needed to be done on the car.

During the race, to quickly fix our suspension, I had to drill a hole in the rear subframe to remount the control arm, basically destroying it. So a new subframe was needed, and in addition, the front steering rack was making clunking noises due to the crash so that needed to be replaced.

Actually while inspecting the steering rack noises, we noticed that the front subframe itself was bent and cracked! So not only do we need a new rack and rear frame, but a new front subframe as well. We actually think the front crack was caused by a previous crash.

subframe:

close up of crack

So we went to the pick-n-pull today, grabbed a front and rear subframe ($75 and about and hour of work) and removed the race car's subframes.

What I'm going to do now is weld some reinforcing plates on the new front frame and clean everything up for reinstall next week.

2 subframes out and on the floor
                            Last edited by aventari; 08-06-2018, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Today I pulled the lower arms and I'm going to have a shop press the rubber bushings out so I can install my Energy Suspension urethane ones.

Right now I'm soaking the old stuff in liquid wrench hoping they'll come out easy.

I need a press..

Comment

That’s funny you have a car lift in your garage but not a press....I think you’re doing it backwards. But I am still jealous! Couldn’t you just use your lift as a press? Put a socket the size of your bushing on top of the LCA below one of the lifting arms of you car lift and then a pipe or socket slightly bigger then your bushing to allow the bushing to go through and just lower your lift until it pushes the bushing out? That’s redneck ingenuity but it could work. Lol
                                Last edited by Grumpys93; 08-07-2018, 12:11 AM.
                                ~Nick~
                                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                                X