Tire PSI...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire PSI...

So, I filled my tires the other day to 40psi out of 44 (max). My friend was saying that that might be a bad idea. He was saying that tire PSI recommendation is in the owners manual. Any truth to this? What PSI should they be filled at?
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

yes the tire PSI recommendation is in the owners manual, its also in the front door jam...but that is the recommendation for stock tires and stock suspension.

tire pressure for different sized tires (not stock) and different suspension, will change...knowing what your setup is will help determine what PSI would be good

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
    be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

I go with the tire max for mine, better mpg.
      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
        I go with the tire max for mine, better mpg.
        ditto. i always run the max pressure on the tire. there is no harm in doing this as long as your tire is the right size for your wheel.
        1990 Frost White EX Coupe F23A1 - PART OUT
        01 DC4

Comment

ah so I should be fine then.
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

you have to check the wear on the tire, if it wears okay with 40 and you like the resonsiveness or lack of. adjust accordingly.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

doesnt it say on your tires?

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
                doesnt it say on your tires?
                thats controversial because the recommended pressure is also on the driver's side door jam. id personally would go by the tires though.
                I <3 G60.

Comment

i run mine between around 38. said they sould be 35 and the max is 44psi so i found a happy medium
                  My cb7

h22a
                  5-spd lsd
                  Lord, grant me the serenity
                  to accept the things I cannot change,
                  the courage to change the things I can,
                  and the wisdom to hide the bodies
                  of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

I run mine aroun 50-52psi. Make sure to check your psi with a good gauge. Those cheapo ones work but they are off by a good bit most of the time. Mine say max of 44psi but tire wear is fine so no harm. Also a not if you have low profile tires then you better run them at least over 40psi, if not you'll go through tires like kids through candy. I've learned that from two sets within 12k miles. So far on my new set I have over 10k and hardly any wear, besides the normal.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                    "The Turtle"
                    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Some tyres handle appallingly at car manufacturers typical recommended psi (around 30 - 32 psi), and really need to be at / near the tyre manufacturers recommended max (on sidewall). Other tyres work fine at / near the car makers recommended max.

Note that Honda's recommended max for the CB7 (at least Australian delivered cars) is quite high for a car makers recommendation at 39psi. This is still a fair way less than most tyre manufacturer's recommended max (usually 44psi or 51psi), which is a safe psi for the tyre, not necessarily a psi that will result in absolutely optimum handling etc that tyre can provide on a given car (though it may). Note that the tyre manufacturer's max psi are cold pressures, the psi can increase over this as the tyre warms up in use.

I use between 38psi and 44psi depending on what I find a particular tyre likes (where it handles / steers most responsively, which is found by experimenting with psi until you find a pressure you like in that tyre on that car. You may need to trade off handling / steering response with ride harshness because as response improves (at increasing psi), harshness also tends to rise.
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        thats controversial because the recommended pressure is also on the driver's side door jam. id personally would go by the tires though.
                        Tyre inflation psi can be a controversial topic, and there is a lot of misinformed opinion around.

On another well known Honda site I recently suggested that it was perfectly OK to inflate to the max psi marked on the sidewall. One of the moderators then more or less accused me of being a fool spouting dangerous disinformation, and closed the thread down (this outrageous behaviour designed to allow me no recourse to respond to his incorrect opinions nor his rudeness).

So, I then started a new thread in which to defend my position, and was summarily banned from the site by this moderator. Talk about intellectual fascism...
                        Regards from Oz,
                        John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                          Tyre inflation psi can be a controversial topic, and there is a lot of misinformed opinion around.

On another well known Honda site I recently suggested that it was perfectly OK to inflate to the max psi marked on the sidewall. One of the moderators then more or less accused me of being a fool spouting dangerous disinformation, and closed the thread down (this outrageous behaviour designed to allow me no recourse to respond to his incorrect opinions nor his rudeness).

So, I then started a new thread in which to defend my position, and was summarily banned from the site by this moderator. Talk about intellectual fascism...
                          it's because you spell tire wrong

i want to type an essay (since im in auto tech at school) and spell all the words with "y" and addition "u" lol
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            it's because you spell tire wrong

i want to type an essay (since im in auto tech at school) and spell all the words with "y" and addition "u" lol
                            hopefully you are joking because tire is spelled tyre in the uk and branches of the uk, I.E Aus.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmh22a1 View Post
                              hopefully you are joking because tire is spelled tyre in the uk and branches of the uk, I.E Aus.
                              im not that stupid, ive been to both australia and england.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X