almost lost my parents tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

almost lost my parents tonight.

My parents just moved to Kansas City about 3 weeks ago. they were out driving around, exploring new places. So the topic of dinner comes up. Mom hits up google, and dad pulls off the freeway on to the shoulder just short of a off ramp. They had been there about 5 minutes when...WHAM!!! a guy trying to pass on the shoulder hit them. He bails out the car and takes off running towards the off ramp. A guy who saw it happen runs the man down. The man has a warrant from another state, no licence or insurance. I dont know of his condition, but my parents are ok. my mom's right ankle is swelling, and both have a few bruises......but for being hit by a car going 70, at a stand still.......god was looking out, a foot or two to the right....I may not have either one. everything that was on the dashboard, is in the back seat, both front seats are twisted and moved forward. if one or both had taken off their seat belts, if the dumbass would have hit the right side and sent them back out into the interstate traffic..it would of been a different story

what hit them

thats my dad in the blue shirt.....and no the drivers door will not close

at the bottom of the pic, where the skid mark stops.....thats where they were sitting, car in park.

crazy dude, glad they are doing ok!
    My FB Page - http://www.facebook.com/hellaflush3d

My 3D Work --> http://samauripizzacats.deviantart.com/

Comment

Glad they are ok, things like this always make me grateful for everything I have. In less than a second your whole life can change.

Originally posted by HardInThePaint
      WTF, thats like placing the cheese underneath the beef patty and calling it a burgercheese. Regardless of how u slice it the shit is a cheeseburger.

Comment

I'm really glad your parents are okay.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

WOW, I am so glad that there was only very minor injuries. that could have been a lot worse. I am also glad that someone saw it and chased the asswipe down!!! so that he could face a punishment for it.
          1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
          1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
          1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
          1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Thanks everyone

The guy isn't doing so well, he's under police lockdown. Broke arm and internal bleeding, on top of being a dumbass

Comment

Wow, that was a 70mph impact? That truck really took the impact well!
              I'm glad they're ok. As someone that drives for a living, I see people doing some pretty crazy stuff all the time. Most of the time, they get away with it. No accidents, no cops... but there's always the chance that some asshole will try to do something shady, like passing on the shoulder, and someone like your parents will be stopped in that shoulder.

I'm glad nobody was seriously injured. I hope that guy gets the book thrown at him.

Comment

I have two things to add to this. First on my drive home tonight a cop came up behind me in a 45 and so me and the guy next to me stayed at 45. Pissed off the cop and so coming up on an intersection she decided to blow past us and the guy in front of me in the middle turn lane at close to 70. At the same moment someone going the other direction entered the same turn lane at the intersection. The cop slammed on her brakes and dove in front of the guy in front of me and the turning car. She hit a patch of dirt and because she slammed on the brakes and tried to do a double lane change at the same time she spun out. I went holy shit, she didn't hit anyone or anything, so then I continued to laugh. Then she turned on her lights and took off like a bat out of hell and ran the red light ahead.

Secondly, my dad had a heart attack in his sleep today... No idea how that is possible. So I know how crazy shit can happen all the sudden. He's only 46. He seems to be OK, and I'm glad everything is OK with your parents.
                '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Wow, that was a 70mph impact? That truck really took the impact well!
                  I'm glad they're ok. As someone that drives for a living, I see people doing some pretty crazy stuff all the time. Most of the time, they get away with it. No accidents, no cops... but there's always the chance that some asshole will try to do something shady, like passing on the shoulder, and someone like your parents will be stopped in that shoulder.

I'm glad nobody was seriously injured. I hope that guy gets the book thrown at him.
                  When I first saw the pictures, I didn't think it was that bad. I don't know (they don't either) if the park paw snapped on impact allowing it to roll that far or if the force just pushed it. They didn't see it coming, so there was no "oh shit" moment. Just a loud bang and it was over. They don't know it they came off the ground or what. To me it looks as if dude locked up the brakes, nosed dived the car and the underside of the truck took most of the impact. They will get to look at it when they get their stuff out of it. And my dad being a engineer, he will look under it.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                    I have two things to add to this. First on my drive home tonight a cop came up behind me in a 45 and so me and the guy next to me stayed at 45. Pissed off the cop and so coming up on an intersection she decided to blow past us and the guy in front of me in the middle turn lane at close to 70. At the same moment someone going the other direction entered the same turn lane at the intersection. The cop slammed on her brakes and dove in front of the guy in front of me and the turning car. She hit a patch of dirt and because she slammed on the brakes and tried to do a double lane change at the same time she spun out. I went holy shit, she didn't hit anyone or anything, so then I continued to laugh. Then she turned on her lights and took off like a bat out of hell and ran the red light ahead.

Secondly, my dad had a heart attack in his sleep today... No idea how that is possible. So I know how crazy shit can happen all the sudden. He's only 46. He seems to be OK, and I'm glad everything is OK with your parents.
                    Like wise with your dad, hope he's doing great. Iam a bit older then most on here (32) and they were 20 when they had me. I have a son who is 3, and looking back, it's like they raised me and grew up at the same time, so we are a really close family. I've got a older brother (13 months older) and all out family is from up north, and we grew up in Texas, so it was only us 4. No grandparents, aunts and uncles and all that. I know them all, but were not close, only since we moved to South Carolina in 2000 have we seen them on a yearly basis (I was 20 by then) so without my parents, I'd be lost. Their like the only family I have

Comment

I am very happy that your parents are okay bro.
                      That truck is strong . It took that impact extremely well. Make sure your parents buy the same model again
                      Its hard to hear your parents had a near death accident like that.
                      I hope that guy gets hit with the maximum sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Soufkackicustom View Post
                        When I first saw the pictures, I didn't think it was that bad. I don't know (they don't either) if the park paw snapped on impact allowing it to roll that far or if the force just pushed it. They didn't see it coming, so there was no "oh shit" moment. Just a loud bang and it was over. They don't know it they came off the ground or what. To me it looks as if dude locked up the brakes, nosed dived the car and the underside of the truck took most of the impact. They will get to look at it when they get their stuff out of it. And my dad being a engineer, he will look under it.
                        The fact that there was no "oh shit" moment is probably the reason why there is little injury. Much of the injury sustained in a car accident comes from tensing up at the moment of impact.

Comment

HOLY **** batman!! Glad your parents are alright OP.

Comment

Man, thank their lucky stars they are ok. I hope they prosecute that jerk to the full extent of the law.

Comment

Wow dude, really happy your rents are ok!

And kudos to that bystander for chasing down the asshole.

This is the reason why I NEVER stop on freeways unless my car is unable to physically exit(flat tire etc)

Just way too dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                              X