Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand of Flat Screen HD Tv to stay away from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand of Flat Screen HD Tv to stay away from?

Me and my girlfriend is looking into getting a 32" hd flat screen tv. Possibly a 37" if I can find the right deal. Anyways I know they're many threads on here and I looked through all of them already and didn't give me much information. Other websites just gives me their critic opinion on what to buy and not.

I need actual experience; from people like you guys to tell me what brand I should go for and what brand I should stay the hell away from.

Also what should I look when buying a tv like that. I know I'm going to need all the hookups and plugs in. I want a bright, colorful, sharp and clear tv. You know the brand that will make it worth dropping that extra cash for the best.

Thanks.
    "form follows function."
    Louis Sullivan

My uncle has a 32" Samsung I believe, it seems good, samsung is good.

The Sony 1080P Tv's always seemed the have the best picture ive seen.

Your better off going to like best buy or sears to go and see what you yourself like.
    wat?

Comment

i have a 29 inch vizio in my dorm and i have nothing to complain about it seems awesome

New & Improved 93 Accord EX Coupe

what makes a man a man?

Originally posted by ric3rboi23
      disrespect females, acquire currency.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
        My uncle has a 32" Samsung I believe, it seems good, samsung is good.

The Sony 1080P Tv's always seemed the have the best picture ive seen.

Your better off going to like best buy or sears to go and see what you yourself like.
        Samsung is nice, but I bought a flat panel 25" from Sears and the first week I got it it started to turn wierd color, like someone put a magnet next to it. End up losing the reciept and giving the tv to my parents. LOL.
        "form follows function."
        Louis Sullivan

Comment

Dony buy, Olevia, Polariod, Element, Westinghouse, or any other off brand. I sell tvs at Circuit City and those brands are the worst. Vizio is ok, but for $100 you can get a much better tv. Look into the Sony 32m3000 or the samsung lnt3242h, both are around $700 when they are on sale and are really good for the price.
          1991 Cb7 Coupe 5 Speed--SOLD
          2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V-- SOLD
          1994 Acura Legend GS
          Car Pics

Comment

Originally posted by xczechboyx
            Dony buy, Olevia, Polariod, Element, Westinghouse, or any other off brand. I sell tvs at Circuit City and those brands are the worst. Vizio is ok, but for $100 you can get a much better tv. Look into the Sony 32m3000 or the samsung lnt3242h, both are around $700 when they are on sale and are really good for the price.
            Can I use you as a reference when I go apply at circuit city as my second job?

Alright I'll keep a look out for the sony and samsung.
            "form follows function."
            Louis Sullivan

Comment

I am going to have to pay attention to this thread. Looking to buy a 37in or bigger hopefully soon.
              3 CB's gone....
              1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

dont have a problem with my olevia yet. and as far as im concerned the picture is better then the vizios out there as well.

My Members Ride Thread
                Originally posted by deevergote
                You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

In addition to Sony and Samsung, Pioneer and Panasonic also are supposed to have really nice flatscreens (specifically their plasmas). If I were looking for a cheap 32-37" TV, I'd probably go with Samsung. I want a nice 42" Panasonic plasma after I graduate, but if you're on a tight budget I'd stay away from Panasonic, because they tend to be expensive for what you get (at least their plasmas are). http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-168-110.html There's a link to Cnet's favorite HDTV's by size. Here's their review of their favorite 32" HDTV, a Samsung. The video review shows the reviewer sitting right next to the TV, which gives you a good feel for what sort of size you're looking at, if you haven't looked in stores yet http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...4.html?tag=txt

Also, my mom just got a 32" Sony LCD TV, and that thing is small, seriously...it's as tall vertically as a 26" 4:3 aspect ratio (non-widescreen) TV, but wider obviously. If it were me, I'd really try to save up for a 40 or 42" TV depending on how far away you want to sit (see my note below), looks like they'll only set you back an extra $250-300 on average (from checking prices on www.epinions.com, assuming you stick with LCD, which tends to be cheaper, and only get 720p, since 1080p is useless for most people on a 42" if you sit more than ~5' away). The most common complaint from HDTV buyers seems to be that they wish they'd gotten a bigger one.

As a side note, recommended viewing distance for a 32" TV would be 3.5-5', roughly, whereas a 42" screen bumps that up to 4.5-6.5' (try this out http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html , but ignore the max. viewing distance, I dunno where the hell they pulled that number from). I don't like the "sit twice the screen size away from the TV" rule, because it's not very accurate, especially now that HDTV and 16:9 aspect ratio screens are pretty much the norm. I'd try to sit closer to 1.5x the screen size; that's more consistent with calculations based on 20/20 visual acuity, and it keeps you close to THX's recommended viewing angle.
                  Last edited by cjv998; 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM.

Comment

visio>olevia>phillips

our 37" phillips was returned today after we purchased a refurbished one for 500 bucks shipped. 3 months later, still doesnt work. never again....

may shoot for a 42" plasma for the living room and then put the 32" visio downstairs in the gaming room.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Chan_Man
                      Can I use you as a reference when I go apply at circuit city as my second job?
                      Yea dont see why not lol

The only problems with Olevias it that their black level is really low. If you ever look at a 32" Olevia from any angle but 90 degrees, all the dark colors turn purpleish.

And its true, 1080P tvs arent really worth it, and its not because of distance. Its because no one is broadcasting in 1080P, and wont for a while. The only thing you can view 1080P in is blueray and HDDVD(which sucks).

The rumor that you cant tell 1080P from 720P from a certain distance is retarded. Go in the stores yourself and look, you can see it from any distance.
                      1991 Cb7 Coupe 5 Speed--SOLD
                      2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V-- SOLD
                      1994 Acura Legend GS
                      Car Pics

Comment

42 rca

I have a 42inch rca and it looks great. I watch all my movies on it and i play my xbox 360 on it all the time.I hear that lg ones are the best way to go. If u have that kind of money to spend on them.

Comment

the only thing you can watch in 1080p are DVDs since there are no 1080p broadcasts yet. also, the difference in 1080i and 1080p is the difference in your left and right nut (unless you're a freak). the difference is minimal IF noticeable at all.

a VERY good rule to go by is to get a tv that is ONE SIZE LARGER than what you think you want. i have a 37" toshiba regza that i wish was a 42". i'd recommend any of the toshiba regzas. tons of features, GREAT PRICE, plenty of options, reliable as hell, etc. they've made a name for themselves.

i personally need a tv that has tons of connections. some tvs have no connections hardly, no real adjustments, etc.
                          ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

The rumor that you cant tell 1080P from 720P from a certain distance is retarded. Go in the stores yourself and look, you can see it from any distance.
                            This "rumor" is not a rumor at all, it's basic optics. I think you should be aware of this, especially considering you sell TV's.

A person with standard 20/20 vision can discern an object if it subtends 1 minute of arc (one 60th of a degree) of their field of view. For a given TV screen size, the pixels of a 1080p image subtend less of an angle in your field of vision than those of a 720p image on the same screen, because they're smaller.

Also, the further away you stand from an object, the less of an angle it subtends in your field of view.

Therefore, there is a "critical distance" beyond which your eyes cannot resolve all the detail of the 1080p image (because the pixels subtend less than 1 min. of arc), but the 720p image's pixels still subtend more than 1 minute of arc (remember, on the same screen, the 720p "pixels" will be larger than 1080p pixels), so your eyes can differentiate between them. Beyond a certain point, a 1080p image will not look any better than a 720p image, provided the tv's in question are identical, and that there are no artifacts, etc. due to poor scaling from getting the 720p image onto a natively 1080p screen (but even that would be a moot point after a certain distance).

There are so many other variables when viewing two tv's side by side in a typical store that it quickly becomes very difficult to say that it's the difference in resolution you're seeing, and not the differences in the way the tv's are set up, or even just a placebo effect (you think one tv should look better, so it does look better to you).
                            Last edited by cjv998; 02-12-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

That is the resolving power...if you curious the equation is dsin(theta) = 1.22(lambda) *yea, I applied physics
                              Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
                              Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X