How much work to rebuild cylinder head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much work to rebuild cylinder head?

I was curious how much work is it to rebuild the cylinder head. I am assuming i can just take it off car without having to remove the engine. What else should i do while i am doing that. I will probably pay a mechanic to do this. Not sure if i want to tackle this myself. What all should i replace while there.

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
    I was curious how much work is it to rebuild the cylinder head. I am assuming i can just take it off car without having to remove the engine. What else should i do while i am doing that. I will probably pay a mechanic to do this. Not sure if i want to tackle this myself. What all should i replace while there.
    wit the head off you might aswell check the cylinder walls and see if there is any scoring along them. The Accord bible (a.k.a the Helms manual) doesn't have this as a check but it's obvious if you have deep gouges you have a problem.

Comment

I usually take the time to clean up the pistons as well. Your already in there might as well get everything all cleaned up and shiny again. Not only that should help restore a little performance as well.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

check for deck warpage aswell. get a precision straight edge (not a gradeschool ruler) and measure the gap between the surface and the straight edge when measured from corner to corner ( diagonally across, long ways and short ways). The corners are referenced as the outer holes where the head studs go through. You should have no more than .1 mm of warpage, otherwise you should have the block re-decked.

Comment

I'd be a cleanin' fool if my head was off. My engine bay would be sparkling!
          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

When getting a head rebuilt the machine shop should at least do this if not more.

- Check head for warpage, almost always on our aluminum heads
            - Mill the head to become true again, usually no more than .005"
            - Replace the valve guide seals
            - 3 angle grind the valves
            - Grind the valve seats to match the valves
            - Pressure check to make sure you don't have leaking valves afterwards
            - Check tolerances on valves to valve guides
            - Check tolerances on the valves themselves
            - Check pressure of springs, usually with the higher mileage engines expect to replace at least some if not all of the springs
            - They should also hot tank the entire head and valve train to clean it up to new looking (my machine shop even does the service of painting the outside of the heads, I'm sure this is above and beyond the normal service.)

- New OEM cam seal (Cost is less than $8 and it will far outlive any FelPro or any other off brand gasket... Ask me how I know...)
            - New head gasket, I would recommend OEM, just suck up the cost on this one
            - New head bolts, on the cheap Victor Reinz/Mahle brand should be fine your staying stock

The above service will usually cost no more than $220 at my local machine shop, prices vary on how greedy the guys are in your area. I think my guys charge a fair price for the amazing work they do. They also work with the customer, I always get to go into the shop and see how my project is going, and talk to the guys to verify certain things and such. I've been a customer for years at this point though.

That's a start I'm sure I forgot something.
            Last edited by Rilas; 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM.

Comment

what about just getting a remanufactured head. I seen some for 240 to 400 dollars?

Comment

Possible, but I would demand a spec sheet on everything listed above. Which you probably won't get, so how do you know it was done to Honda's spec's or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                  Possible, but I would demand a spec sheet on everything listed above. Which you probably won't get, so how do you know it was done to Honda's spec's or not?
                  Yeah that was my concern also. Would want guaranteed oem.

Comment

Speaking of specs, does anyone know the specs for valve guide-to-valve clearances and valve stem diameters? All I have is the Haynes manual and I can't find it in there.
                    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

shouldn't i also replace the piston rings? How many hours anyone thinks this might take?

Comment

Working...
                      X