No announcement yet.

SUSP : rear disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they told me 90, but you are probably right. they looked just like the pic from Timmys' write up, which i took with me. Hopefully will get a chance to do the deed this weekend (if it's not raining)
    And remember kids, if it's wet, it's not a fart.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:
    Injen short ram, DIY Grill, Arospeed F/R Strut bars, SS Brake Lines, AEM pads, drum to disc swap, Brembo drilled & slotted rotors

Comment

I meant to say the ebrake cable bracket on the tranny tunnel too by the way. Just wanted to clarify.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

yeah i used 92-93 parts. they should bolt up perfectly. make sure you have the ebrake cables. finding and installing them is a pain. i did a conversion on a 90-91 and it bolted up fine as well. you don't have the worry about the cable not reaching the ebrake handle etc. good luck!

NOTE: i've been to honda acura palace and i've purchased parts for my 5-lug swap there. the components are in terrible shape (due to being outside within the elements sun, rain ,etc). please make sure to check the bearings (even if they are sealed inside) and check the brake calipers. most likely the bearings will be fine but the calipers will need a rebuild. please double-check! you will need new rotors and pads too. $150 is a great price but you will need to invest for newer rotors, pads, and an overhaul on the calipers.
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

I would make the same recommendation. Mine were outside in the dry desert, and could use a rebuild. It is on my short to do list.

You can't be too safe with that kind of thing.

Comment

" it was all for $240 from a local junkyard."

Thats pretty price I just got both of them from a junk yard for $108 bucks yeah thats pretty cheap I will send pics of them later tonight got to go laterz.

My ride

Comment

i'm doing the swap this weekend. i will check into the calipers. as it stands now, my drums arent really doing much for me (locked up the front yesterday coming down a hill and it felt like the rear was just spinning away willynilly saying "oh! you wanted us to stop?". anyway, i'll do the swap, and if the rears need work i'll prolly feel it on the test drive.

i checked that the rotors would spin freely without warp or weird sound before i bought them. i didn't hear anything that would have made me think twice. the only thing on the parts thats rusted (and not even that badly, makes me think they might not have been in the elements long) are the rotors. I checked the pads and they look almost new. I will take photos as i do the job and post if anyone wants to see them. Thanks for all the info again folks!

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:
              Injen short ram, DIY Grill, Arospeed F/R Strut bars, SS Brake Lines, AEM pads, drum to disc swap, Brembo drilled & slotted rotors

Comment

Pics

Well here they are just recently pulled off a 92 EX at a local junk yard.
                ----------------------------------------------------
                Little surface rust but the pad wear will do the trick.

Came with everything good pads, calipers, and rotors.

Got it for $54x2 pretty decent price.

Plan on doing the swap from drums to all disk this weekend.
                Last edited by dualacord; 03-30-2006, 03:27 AM.

My ride

Comment

Pics

Look how easy it is to do the rear disc conversion on our beloved Accord.

Comment

Thx for the post

Originally posted by hondacc90

Last edited by dualacord; 03-30-2006, 03:28 AM.

My ride

Comment

looks like you got the ball joint with your stuff. mine didn't have that so i hade to go and get the tool to separate them. i lazied it and didnt do the e-brake cable. my frustration level rose to high with the ball joint that i just cut them. my mechanic said he could put new ones in for cheap.

i did this swap today. one thing i noticed was when i was bleeding the lines there was rust in the one line i saved. i bled the lines twice to get them clean. just an fyi.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:

Comment

Sorry, but that misses the deal breaker...

Originally posted by hondacc90

It is a good diagram, but as with many things in life it isn't that easy. Believe me, I thought of tryin that first.

Do you notice one small minor component missing on the disk setup part of the diagram?

A caliper perhaps?

The rear knuckle from the drum setup has no accomodation for it. The material isn't even there to accomodate drilling and tapping. I suppose you could find a machine shop to do it, but good luck with that.

Also, while you can just use the rear knuckle from a rear disk car, it is actually easier to just replace the whole rear suspension. There are 12 bolts and the anti-roll bar to replace the whole thing... there is almost that many on one knuckle.

Besides, 1992-1993 Accord EX's aren't that hard to locate in the junkyard, and the rear suspension shouldn't be very expensive. I paid less than $100 for all of mine, but average about $120.
                        Last edited by owequitit; 02-21-2006, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by Gripology
                          looks like you got the ball joint with your stuff. mine didn't have that so i hade to go and get the tool to separate them. i lazied it and didnt do the e-brake cable. my frustration level rose to high with the ball joint that i just cut them. my mechanic said he could put new ones in for cheap.

i did this swap today. one thing i noticed was when i was bleeding the lines there was rust in the one line i saved. i bled the lines twice to get them clean. just an fyi.
                          Yeah I have a ball joint seperator I planed on removing the upper control arm but, its not a bad thing to have more then one thing. What happen to using the ball joint seperator works like a charm for me. That sounds pretty risky no e-brake line you must have an automatic. Yeah I bleed the brake lines anytime I work on them of couse Im going to bleed them a few extra times when I get to the conv. I plan on getting to it very soon got to caught up this weekend at the junk yards.
                          Last edited by dualacord; 03-30-2006, 03:28 AM.

My ride

Comment

i re-bled the lines and got a little more crap out. the pedal feel much stiffer now. i used the ss lines from my drums from the chassis to the tubing, and will replace that extra one to the caliper later. pulled the wheels off today just to tighten things down and double check the lines for leaking. everything looks fine. dead batter on the camera so no pics. sorry.

i took the oportunity today to really step on the brakes (same spot i locked up the other day with the drums) and shit! no lock up but really felt like the front and rear were working together. i have to say, all the mods i have planned, this is the one i think will impress me the most.

is there a paint brand or type to use on the calipers? thought it might be fun to paint them for when i get rims. show em off if you know what i mean

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:

Comment

i have an auto for now. thats the next major modification i'm hoping to do. i would love to get a 5 speed in there. this is my first honda and first automatic tranny...got the car for a cool $1 from brother in law so i couldn't pass on it.
                              my wife wants me to tint the windows and get wheels first. so 5 speed is prolly 6 months away. i priced the e-brakes lines new for $90. looks like i might be able to install them..week or two and i'll do that. and yes, not having e-brake is a little weird.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:

Comment

Okay

Anyways to get back to the subject $90 for some e-brake lines sounds a little pricy. Well peace man.
                                Last edited by dualacord; 08-20-2008, 07:38 PM.

My ride

Comment

Working...
                                X