California Legacy License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Legacy License Plates

Woke up this morning with nothing to do but give a long ass stare at my OG California 92 license plates, with a Starbucks Venti cup at my hand. This thing look like the retro Legacy plates from da 70's that just got reissued a year or two ago. They look like identical molding prints, everyone in their mother knows they get fabricated up at da big pokey house in Folsom.
    Im thinking of painting my black and yellow. Any legal issues involved here? I don't want a US Supreme Court ruling, just a basic IRAC briefing would stuffiest.
    Let me know what you all think about it.
    Keep da Peace in the Korean Peninsula

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
      Anyone?
      Hard to say but I'd guess not...

LOL this may be considered counterfeiting by the state since you are changing the appearance of the tags from when they were originally issued. Besides ever tried peeling off an old registration sticker in one piece from an old plate? They're designed not to so there is that to consider.

They usually only replace registration stickers if the plates are damaged or stolen so they would require you to turn them in or pay to replace them. Since you'd be paying for another set of plates anyway may as well get the retro colors you want and save yourself the hassle...

That's my guess.
      My Collection:
      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

So you have a CA plate that looks like this:

and you want to paint it to look like this?

I would think that would be an easy way to get a bunch of tickets, if not arrested if the LEO was in a bad enough mood. Most states don't let you repaint fading plates.

IIRC CA recently allowed people to get the old style plates on vehicles that were newer than when they would be allowed to (ie black plates on new vehicles). Pay the fee and get them the above board way. Otherwise you're asking for a lot of trouble.

Comment

You got the idea. Thanks for the visuals.
          The SAM 123 plate is a 1963 YOM (Year Of Manufacturing), the sequential numbers are as different as to the modern and recently issued California Legacy plates.
          My premise here is based off LE technology. About a month ago I got pulled over by local PD with a unit with an onboard plate recognition/reader. Got lit up for expired registration. No prob, did it the day before but DVM cannot for the love of got expedite the data fast enough to the local pd's. I hand delivered my current hard copy registration and insurance on the spot. The rest is self explanatory.
          My OG 92 reflective paint on my rear plate is gone, the only thing still left is the blue color ink numbers and small [COLOR="Red"]CALIFORNIA red letters. PD got a hit on my rear plate that is in deplorable conditions.
          I don't think the reflective face plate that matters, its the colored raised numbers and letters that are recognizable. Other plates are laminated with vinyl.
          The YOM plate from the 60'S has a 63 visibly printed in the upper right coner. The legacy and 90 plate do not. All three plate have three things in common: they manufactured in Folsom State Prison, they are cut, OG stamp using same OG molds today as back in the 60's.
          Last edited by laloquera; 05-21-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I've replaced my monthly sticker before it totally disintegrated off the plate along time ago, as for the yearly registration they reissued for X reasons.
            Look at this way, if Air Force One, with dumb nuts flying in it, would get a fresh pink paint job, would it stop being recognized as Air Force One? Im gonna match both reflective flat black and golden paint . I am gonna test the my theory, gonna intentionally run a red light camera or cheaper yet blow a toll bridge for the purposes : (1a.) cameras recognize my plate, (2b.) Plate readers to recognize the color change.
            I will post up at a later time.
            Thanks

Comment

Just found this :
              "A couple minor differences will separate the new black plates from the old ones: The “63” stamped in the sticker window in the top right corner will not return, and the entire plate will have a reflective coating, as stipulated by state law. “But if you look at it straight-on, you can’t tell the difference,” Moreno said. “There won’t be any website or other lettering on the bottom like people feared."
              California Assemblyman Mike Gatto

Comment

Working...
              X