Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New Old Member from the NorthEast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received the Driver side JDM Headlight in the mail recently. I'm in a bit of trouble.
    The headlight was broken in the shipping process. It's not terrible, but it's broken none the less. The very corner of the lens by the marker bulb broke, but I've glued it to the best of my ability for now.

Another problem with the headlight was that the yellow bulb capsule was extremely corroded. Actually, everything was corroded... including the chrome refectors;

So... I took the headlight apart to try and fix it. I placed the yellow capsule in a bowl of vinegar over night and wouldn't you know it, it stripped the yellow right off the capsule! I've ordered some yellow glass stain to see if I can replicate the original color to try and fix it. I've noticed these capsules are not the same as the capsules in any other Honda's I've seen, so replacing the capsule is not really an option. Here's where I am with this project:

Stripped capsule (oops):

Last edited by Vermonter; 02-02-2016, 11:03 PM.
    CC2 Vigor.

Comment

While I wait for the yellow stain to come in, I am going to strip the paint off my radiator brackets and throw them in a tumbler to polish up. I will leave them polished metal and throw some clearcoat on them.

CC2 Vigor.

Comment

I found a few more pictures of my Vigor. These show the good AND the bad.
        The bad being obvious. The good is that it's mostly manageable, and also most of it is behind the bumper.

CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Man those Northern Vermont cars get some horrible rust. How much salt do they use up there?
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            Man those Northern Vermont cars get some horrible rust. How much salt do they use up there?
            I'm in central VT, but I think it's the same for most of New England... It used to be that they would spread rock salt which was only really a problem when it melted into water and then would get sprayed up into the nooks and crannies of our cars while driving. Now they use salt brine which is already in liquid form, so it's basically hazardous to our metal the second it's put down.
            The worst part is that if the state doesn't use the salt provided, the government cuts our salt budget for the next year. So it's like they use more salt every year whether or not we need it so they don't lose their budget for the next year.
            This winter has been almost non-existent and we literally haven't even needed a plow truck for our driveway since last February, and yet the state trucks are still out there spreading salt brine any time the temperature drops below 35, which in Vermont is every day between November and March. I'm lucky though, I bought this car with rust so I know what to expect. My neighbor bought a brand new Chevy truck last year and the frame is almost completely brown already. I'd be pretty pissed if that was me.
            CC2 Vigor.

Comment

I'm afraid to say it, but I think this headlight is a lost cause.

The yellow dye I bought barely adds any color to the glass and it's filled with air bubbles. Unless someone knows where I can find a new glass capsule, I am kind of screwed out of a headlight.
              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Lucky for me NH still uses rock salt. Didn't stop me from completely coating my Caprice with fluidfilm, using close to half a gallon.

Comment

^fluid film ftw
                  Vermonter-PM sent

Comment

I've always heard good things about fluid film, unfortunately my vigor is well past preventative measures haha
                    I washed my car today and noticed that my brand new Megan muffler is rusting... That's right. A brand new stainless steel quality-ish brand muffler is rusting only two short weeks after getting it installed. The blue finish on the tips is flaking off and rust is developing where the blue was. I wish it was just surface rust, but it's actually bubbled up.... I've seen cheap auto-store chrome mufflers hold up longer than this one. Just my luck.
                    CC2 Vigor.

Comment

You probably know it already, but the side skirts probably hide even uglier rust below the rear doors.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                        You probably know it already, but the side skirts probably hide even uglier rust below the rear doors.
                        Yeah I figured that. I removed the driver side skirt back in November and started cleaning up some of the rust. It's actually nowhere near as bad as what I have pictured. No holes or anything. When it gets warmer I will keep at it and hit it all with rustoleum and then probably plaster it with rubber undercoat.
                        CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Positive update:
                          I found two yellow capsules on eBay for $13. So I figured what the hell, maybe they are the right size/color, maybe not. $13 isn't a big deal so I ordered them. I got them today and immediately went to work. I'm not sure if the color is spot on until I get my other headlight, but it was a perfect fit. While I was diggin deeper into the headlights I noticed that the chrome reflective coating on all the beam reflectors is worse than I thought and is actually started to crack and separate from the backing. I'm hoping this headlight will get me by until I can find a set of headlights in better shape. Anyway, here's what I have until I can glue everything back in place;

Old:

New:

Last edited by Vermonter; 02-09-2016, 06:01 PM.
                          CC2 Vigor.

Comment

I guess there's a manufacturer defect in my Megan muffler. The tips are already starting to rust and the muffler has only been installed for about two and a half weeks. I've contacted Megan for a warranty claim, but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm hoping that they won't require me to cut off my old muffler and send it in for a replacement, but I'm not sure how else they would do a return... we will see.

CC2 Vigor.

Comment

02-11-2016 Update

Events that all happened today:

-I received an email back from Megan Racing and they are going to send me a new muffler to replace the one I have that is corroding.

-Someone contacted me through instagram and informed me that he had a set of JDM Vigor headlights for sale. He sent me a few pictures and they look like they are in rough shape, but the lenses look good. He wants $220 plus shipping, which seems like top dollar for the condition. I'm undecided if I'm going to buy them, as a sight-unseen sale makes me nervous.

-I over drove an hour to get to a junk yard in New Hampshire, just to find out they were not a pick-n-pull type yard. I wasn't too bummed because I knew I should have called first but figured the drive would give me something to do. I had just enough time left in the day so I drove north to another yard in NH and was able to get some gold Odyssey Sprayers, a pigtail for the sidemarker on my JDM headlight, and the Acura Legend rubber steering column covers (see picture, I don't know what they are called).

-Someone backed into me at a stop light. I laid on my horn, but apparently that wasn't enough to stop him from backing up 10' and hitting me. I'm not too upset about it, luckily he had a trailer hitch. The hitch hit my plate and dinged up my bumper, but if it weren't for the hitch he would've taken out my headlights and grill and possibly hood with his rear bumper. It'll get fixed.

Not a bad day over all.
                              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Yikes, hope you had a dash cam, that could be an insurance fraud they are trying to pull on you.

It's likely too far, but Car World in Candia, NH is having a 50% off sale all month. I was there last weekend but didn't scope out the Honda section, was pulling some parts for my truck. I may brave the cold and go back tomorrow for some pieces I need.

Comment

Working...
                                X