Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

extending o2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extending o2 sensor

ok so whats the right way to extend the o2 sensor wire? from what i have seen u dont use copper wire. im low on chash so i have to make it my self if i can

Whats wrong with copper wire?

Comment

There really is no right way to extend it. Get a sensor made to reach (F22A1 sensors reach to the front of the manifold, F22A4 and F22A6 sensors are lower, on the "downpipe")
      Splicing the wire may result in a change in resistance, causing improper operation.

If you feel you HAVE to splice, cut the wires on the sensor, NOT the wires on your car's harness. Use quality well-shielded copper wire of the same gauge, and carefully splice it on. Solder and shrink wrap the connection.
      Another method would be to go to a junkyard and create your own sub-harness as an extension. That's probably how I would do it, personally... of course, I'd rather just drop the $35 to get a new o2 sensor that was made to fit from RockAuto.com.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        There really is no right way to extend it. Get a sensor made to reach (F22A1 sensors reach to the front of the manifold, F22A4 and F22A6 sensors are lower, on the "downpipe")
        Splicing the wire may result in a change in resistance, causing improper operation.

If you feel you HAVE to splice, cut the wires on the sensor, NOT the wires on your car's harness. Use quality well-shielded copper wire of the same gauge, and carefully splice it on. Solder and shrink wrap the connection.
        Another method would be to go to a junkyard and create your own sub-harness as an extension. That's probably how I would do it, personally... of course, I'd rather just drop the $35 to get a new o2 sensor that was made to fit from RockAuto.com.
        FYI - An adapter extension is a good idea because the lx/dx accords have the reverse plugs of the ex/se(i believe all years but I could be wrong there). Meaning if you have a 90lx and you try to stick a 93ex sensor on it, you cannot plug them into each other without splicing because the plugs are the same instead of opposite (if that makes sense).

What I did when I did my h22 swap in my 90lx, was remove the covering from the section of wires that ran from my main loom to the front mounted O2 sensor/temp sensor and such. Then just pulled back my o2 wires and re-routed them to the back of the motor for a downpipe o2 mount. Then I recovered my wires with electrical tape. By doing this I can use either plug without having a long extension/adapter (and it looks a little cleaner)
        "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Does anyone know what extension length one might need going from an A1 manifold to the A4/6 and it's downpipe? Trying to get it ordered before my exhaust gets here.
          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

What the previous poster mentioned about the O2 wires is actually the best method as it involves no cutting of the sensitive, shielded cable. Follow the loom at your manifold-mounted O2 sensor as far back as you can before it merges with a larger section of the harness. Pull some tape off of that location and split the loom to start pulling out the wires that go to your O2 sensor to get further back toward the firewall. The idea is that you will create all of this excess that can be easily tied up, tucked into a loom and tucked away only to have your O2 wires branch off of the main harness at a location more suitable to the F22A4/6 or H22A engines.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ah I get it now. That's my kind of mod...free.
              My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
              Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
              Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
              X