H22 Swap starts but won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Swap starts but won't idle

So I just finished putting the Euro in my CB & I am cannot get the engine to actually idle. It starts great but the only way to keep it running is by giving it throttle. I did put on a new Timing Belt, water pump, as well as the manual tensioner swap. I am pretty sure that it is running really really lean. All of my timing marks look dead on as well as the rotor pointing to the #1 plug when at TDC.

There are no CELs either.

I never touched the dizzy to make the timing advanced or retarded before I put the engine in. But, just to see if it made any difference I did advance the timing a little with the engine in the car but it didn't make much difference.\

I also did not do swap injectors, dizzy, or ECU to a OBD1 setup so all those components are the Euro R's OBD2 parts. I am using a boomslang OBD1-OBD2B ECU jumper harness as well as rywire's distributor jumper harness & the injectors jumper harness. I know I will get a bunch of shit about not swapping those parts to the OBD1 setup but I thought the jumper harnesses were plug & play.

Is my timing that far off to make the engine not idle? It is almost instantly responsive when I blip the throttle.
    Last edited by G. Wiffington; 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Keep Pushing..

If using the OBD II injectors did you delete the resistor box and solder all the wires together?
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Yes. I used an end connector & secured all wires together.
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Could I use a different ECU to try & rule out the ECU that came with the swap?
        Would my P12 ( I know it is not a P13) from my F22 work just to start even if my dizzy & injectors are the OBD2 setup?
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

The OBD2 distributor only has a CYP sensor in it as they moved the TDC and CKP sensors to the crankshaft.

You should swap to an OBD1 distributor first.

EDIT: Do you have this harness?
          http://www.rywire.com/product-p/dis-prelude-2-1.htm
          Last edited by sonikaccord; 10-21-2017, 08:12 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            The OBD2 distributor only has a CYP sensor in it as they moved the TDC and CKP sensors to the crankshaft.

You should swap to an OBD1 distributor first.

EDIT: Do you have this harness?
            http://www.rywire.com/product-p/dis-prelude-2-1.htm
            Oh wow I didn't realize that. But since my engine is a JDM version it does not have the sensors by the crank? Hmm..

Actually no I bought the actual opposite because I called the guys at rywire, told them I am putting an Obd2B Euro R into a Obd1 vehicle so they instructed me to get this harness...http://www.rywire.com/obd1-to-obd2-8...-1-2-8-pin.htm

So, are you saying I should be running an OBD1 prelude distributor with the harness you showed? Would that setup still work with the Euro's injectors, injector resistor box bypassed & PCD ECU?

I am at the point where I am kicking myself in the butt & should have listened to everyone about just converting to OBD1 with the P13 ECU to make it easier.
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Well, I did some more research about the PCD Euro R ECU. Apparently, there are a lot of other people who have lots of trouble running this ECU.

Someone on Honda-Tech supposedly came accorss information that said EDM (European Domestic Market) OBD2B may have a different pinout compared to JDM or USDM ecu pinouts.

The following was from honda-tech talking about a euro r swap: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...blems-2198640/
              "the obd2 ecu i got with the motor had an immobolizer in it that cut off the fuel everytime so i couldn't get the motor to even start with that ecu. "

I wonder if that's why my swap won't start correctly.

I also read on Honda-Tech that the CKP wires on the distributor for the euro "have the incorrect polarity"(whatever that means). The member 2point6 said he reversed the two CKP (blue & white wires) & the car started.
              Here is the thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...2225332/page2/

Has anyone ever successfully ran the Euro R PCD ECU???

Oh yeah I got my swap to start yesterday just messing around. My brother bought a '98 hatch last week which came with a P28. I said screw it what's the worst that could happen? I pulled off the ECU jumper harness, plugged in the P28 (still had the obd2 dizzy, resistor bypass & OBD2 injectors) & what do you know...fired right up!!

So my conclusion to anyone else who does this swap..GO OBD1!!! That is what I am going to do. I will report back when I get the OBD1 dizzy, injectors, & P13. (Hopefully get hondata & tune the P28 for the Euro)
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

yeah I initially ran mine off an S300 chipped P72 and now a P28 with the same chip.

I've got a PCD laying around myself, probably should put it up on the Prelude forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                  yeah I initially ran mine off an S300 chipped P72 and now a P28 with the same chip.

I've got a PCD laying around myself, probably should put it up on the Prelude forums.
                  Wow really? I should have asked you that lol. Yeah on every thread about the PCD NOBODY ever got it working with their euro swap. Does it have to do something with an immobilizer?
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

I am have trouble finding the Peak and hold 345cc stock injectors for the obd1 setup. the original injectors from Honda are discontinued apparently.

Anybody know an equal substitute? I found some 350cc injectors, will that be okay with a P13 ECU until I get my P28 chipped & tuned?

No JYs around my area have any Preludes in them.
                    Last edited by G. Wiffington; 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM.
                    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Here is a set on eBay.

OBD1 H22A1 Injectors
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Sweet thank you! I swear I did not see that set. I only kept seeing crap from China with like 1000cc lol.
                        Keep Pushing..

Comment

I forget the guys name on FB but he owns this coupe and he also has the Euro R swap. Last time I spoke to him via Facebook, I believe he did the same thing you did which was to run the PCD ECU using a jumper harness but later on he went with a chipped p28..or possibly a Hondata ECU.

There was a sedan that was posted in the OT section that had the Euro R H22 but that guy was running a Hondata S300, IMO I think that's the better route, track down a p28 and get the Hondata chipped installed.

As for that other guy,here's his members ride thread.

blackenwkn 1993 Accord LX

Unfortunately because of the 3rd party bs from p-bucket you can't see the pictures.

:Quick edit:

Found that 4 door..surprised no one has picked it up yet as it's still listed for sale.

1993 Honda Accord
                          Last edited by HenRoc; 10-24-2017, 12:54 PM.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I wonder how he used the PCD & got it to run correctly. I kept reading threads on H-T where even guys who had 97-01 Preludes still could not run the PCD ECU correctly. I did read people ran the Euro with USDM OBD2 Prelude ECUs (I think PM5?). It was just strange because the PCD setup did not throw any CELs but would not start on it's own without giving throttle. It was like the engine was starving for fuel.

Yeah I got lucky & my brother bought a '98 Hatch which came with a untouched P28. So I will give him a few bucks for that so I can run it with Hondata soon.

I still can't believe that an entire OBD2 setup(Euro injectors, Euro Dizzy & resistor box bypass) started with a P28. Fired right up. I only ran it for a min or so just to make sure it wasn't my timing that was off causing the no start issue. Guess not.

Well, if anything new members or anybody in the future who does a Euro swap will learn from my mistake that the PCD ECU does not work for this swap.

I was being lazy about the swap & should have listened to people who said go with the OBD1 setup. I guess that is why in the Swap FAQ it says switch to OBD1 because switching to OBD2 is more difficult.

Guess i'll throw the PCD up on Ebay. Unless anybody on here wants to take it off my hands?

I would definitely buy that CB for $4,000. It is probably worth more IMO.
                            Last edited by G. Wiffington; 10-25-2017, 01:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
                            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                            X