CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
TwonyWon
Newcomer

TwonyWon is cool... so far.
Talking How to best achieve my power goals? MS3X

I've got a 93 LX, ive been leak chasing on it for a month until the water and oil pump both started leaking on the same day. At that point I decided it's time to rebuild the whole engine with new seals. Since the motor is already out, I'd like to build it up, boost it. I don't need to be told its going to be expensive, I'm very aware. My truck is a much more long term project (2jz swap) so I have a megasquirt 3 ecu I can use for the accord. That being said, what internals/turbo should I be looking for to handle 350hp ish..?

Never messed with a Honda before, picked it up for cheap because why not.
I will be posting youtube updates of the build, first one will go up after some more parts come in.

Last edited by TwonyWon; 04-06-2017 at 07:38 PM.
TwonyWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
domesticated
CB7tuner Member

domesticated seems to have made some friends!
Mega squirt is awesome, but you'd be better off picking up Hondata. PnP is much nicer.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
You can find some forged internals at raceeng.com. If you want the easy route, treadstone makes a quality turbo kit for a fair price. Then you'll just need a clutch, upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and a tune. I do agree that hondata is the more convenient option.

You should be able to hit about 400whp if all is done properly. Beyond that, the open deck block becomes a weak point.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
TwonyWon
Newcomer

Would I be able to use the factory wiring harness with the hondata? And whats the stock crank good for?

Many thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
Yes Hondata is OBD1, so it will work with your wire harness. that being said, you will need to purchase a hondata compatible OBD1 ECU. Hondata.com has a list of compatible OBD1 ECU's. For boost I would look toward a P28(equivalent) chipped ECU with boost features added.

The stock F22 crank is good for well over 4-500 WHP. it's the pistons that are the weak point in this block.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
$650 will get you an OEM ECU that has been retrofitted with the Hondata S300 v3 board. This is what I went with initially, and would be your best bet. It's such an intuitive bit of software. Upgrades to the engine are easily handled with drop-down options and data-logging is easily stored for review later on.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 PM   #7
TwonyWon
Newcomer

Should I be looking for stiffer valve springs? I'll be replacing them with stock ones if not, and the valves as well.
Is the cam from the A6 head worth a trip to upap? Not quite sure how its different.

Im already used to working with tunerstudio and megasquirt, and I already have one... Even has the MS3X expansion
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
If you are sticking with the stock camshaft, then new OEM valve springs, retainers and locks will be more than enough.

Love the MegaSquirt EMS! I have run it on two of my past vehicles and never had any issues with it. Wiring is really the only PITA. I am currently working on a 96 Accord that will be running the MS3X to control an ITB setup with dual stage fuel injection and COP ignition.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The head should be fine as-is for your power goals. An a6 cam and new springs wouldn't hurt, but probably aren't necessary.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
TwonyWon
Newcomer

Ordered some carrillo rods/pistons. Little more pricy than I hoped but what can ya do.
Been looking for a manifold but only coming across a cast one and a uber cheap one that will probably crack in days. Any particular suggestions?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
Noticed you're in Colorado

If you're up north, there's PFI Speed in Johnstown and Colorado Race Fab in Greeley that both specialize in Hondas. Maybe see how much they'd charge to make a custom manifold?

Last time I went to PFI, there were a couple NSXs sitting around, some big-turbo Civics, and they were running an H22 Prelude on the dyno. It was heaven. They build all makes and engines, though, including plenty of 2Js. Brent's a cool guy, too; very competent. Just don't go in through the front door expecting them to notice you by the desk they never seem to be at, haha. Go around back to the open bays.

Also, check out this build. Denver member that went to PFI for his turbo F22A. 600+hp on stock crank... hell, I think he was still on a stock head gasket at that point; I might be wrong, but I remember him saying that that gasket can handle up to somewhere around 700. He had his manifold built by Divulge Motorsports in Englewood.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=87819

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!

Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-09-2017 at 03:13 AM.
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
Accrdwgnguy
Contributing Member

Accrdwgnguy seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Accrdwgnguy
I'd say do it. MS3 has alot of great features, I'm itching to get my hands on one. Wonder how well the traction control feature will work with FWD.
Accrdwgnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
93 lx , boost , megasquirt 3 , power , turbo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: