Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

replaced VSS, still no speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced VSS, still no speedo

I just picked up a 1991 Accord sedan. I knew when i bought it that the speedo didn't work. I assumed before any research that it would need a new VSS so I got one. Driving it home I got the flashing S light and check engine light also. Freaked out but checked the codes using the jumper method under the dash and both checked out for a #4 and #17 codes, both for VSS. Cool... so I replace the VSS with absolute no improvement to anything. I also noticed the trans doesn't shift until about 3500 rpms. The guy I bought it from said the engine and trans were a factory non vtech JDM swap and he figured that had something to do with it but didnt ever care to fix it. So.... my next step was going to be a new TCM but I'm wondering if the factory PX4-822 is what I should get or do I need a Japan market TCM? Should I check the solenoids also? Thanks for your time. Have a good one!

The transmission issue may be because of the lack of a VSS signal. I'm assuming the drive key was in there between the power steering VSS and the electrical VSS. Trace the wires and verify whether you're getting power to the sensor and that you're getting an alternating signal out of it and back to the dash and ECM. Check to make sure you have a good ground on the bottom of the thermostat housing.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      The transmission issue may be because of the lack of a VSS signal. I'm assuming the drive key was in there between the power steering VSS and the electrical VSS. Trace the wires and verify whether you're getting power to the sensor and that you're getting an alternating signal out of it and back to the dash and ECM. Check to make sure you have a good ground on the bottom of the thermostat housing.
      Thanks, I will check that out tomorrow.

Comment

so it looks like the shaft that goes between the sensor and the trans is not spinning. Ive seen this part sold on ebay so I'm going to hit up a couple local salvage yards and see if I can source one to try. for now I'm using a gpc app on my phone to mind my speed.

Comment

Working...
        X