Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

'92 coolant issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'92 coolant issues...

first off, within the last week i put a CAI on. There was a vacuum line (very thin) on the stock intake that is now hanging loose. Not sure if that would have to do with any of this.

what's happening:
    - the check engine light comes on when the car reaches operating temps
    - the upper + lower rad hose become hard
    - upper rad hose is hot, while lower is cold

I would have assumed the thermostat was the problem, since the hose coming out of the thermostat housing was cold, so i changed it. Same problems. Also, I can't seem to bleed the system using the bleeder screw... nothing comes out of it unless i squeeze one of the hoses.

oh, i also pressure tested the rad cap and it holds pressure and releases at 15lbs.

anybody have any ideas, because i'm out
    My Rides:

Did you change your hoses? Looks like something more of an obstruction.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

no, i haven't changed hoses, nor do i know when they were changed or their condition. i bought the car 3 months ago for $500. It was well taken care of by an older man, no rust or anything... always brought to the dealership for service, along with full service records. its just a matter of finding them to see how long ago they were changed.

there is obviously an obstruction, but i'm just wondering if anybody else had this problem to make it a bit more of a quick diagnosis. i'm not sure if its in the rad or something to do with the engine side of it. The rad is hot on top and cold on the bottom, where it should be the opposite (shouldn't it?)

i'm also sad to say that i think i have a headgasket problem also... looks like theres some oily substance floating on top of the coolant. not much... just a thin layer. the oil doesn't smell or taste like coolant (more like fuel) and the exhaust smells fine.

it's a great car, but even like the best of apples, it has its seeds.
      My Rides:

Comment

Hmm , let me get back at you on this one..

On the mean time , pull your CEL code. It might give more description.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Do you have any info about when the water pump was last changed, if ever?

You might look at getting new upper/lower rad hoses just so you know there can't be anything in those blocking the coolant. They aren't very expensive to get.

You could try testing the thermostat, just to make sure it is opening. Usually, all you have to do is put it in a pot of water on the stove, and then boil the water. Either it will open, or it won't. Simple check.

Are you loosing coolant? If you aren't, your head gasket is probably safe.
          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

@DarkShadow... How do you go about pulling the CEL code?

@benji... The water pump was done not too long ago, along with all the belts and such. I'm going to do them anyways when the weather gets a little nicer.

Both old and new thermostats boil fine, open and close at proper temps.
            My Rides:

Comment

i'm not too sure rite now if i'm going through coolant. i havent been able to bleed the system properly since the thermostat. Is there any easy way to check if your rad is blocked or anything?
              My Rides:

Comment

yea... soo... i feel like a moron. the last couple days of tearing my cooling system apart was for nothing. all the problem was is that the EGR vacuum line was cracked and off.

thanks for all your help guys
                My Rides:

Comment

Working...
                X