Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Virginia (possibly)

Hey all,

Well the time has to come to get a big boy job. My girlfriend of 7 and a half years has two interviews in Virginia. I will have to begin to look for a job down there. *If she gets the job.*

Just wanted to touch base with any members that may be from that state. It would be right outside of DC. Maryland guys can chime in as well. (Anyone can comment just wanted to hear from people from that area or have lived down there.)

I would be taking the CB down with me. I will be renting a U haul and towing it behind. This is all hypothetical but I have a sneaky suspicion she will get the job because the principals are reaching out to her directly.

Here in PA she has been on 35 interviews and has not gotten a full time teaching position. Up here she receives an automated message and not a direct message from the principal.

Since I just graduated college I am in the process of looking for jobs up here in PA but I will have to look down in that area once we know for certain if she gets the job.

A few questions: 1. How strict is inspection ? I looked online and it seems extremely strict. I would most likely have to have my tint scraped off and possibly change out the red/clear tails because they must have amber bulbs for the turn signals (unless I can paint them amber?) Right now my tint is 35% on the front and 5% on the rear. If this isn't an issue I won't worry about it.

2. Also it states the car can't be lowered. Mine is not yet but I considered lowering it a little because my shocks and springs need to be replaced at some point. Would I have to make sure the car has OEM shocks and springs?

3. Also the only way around this is to have the car registered as an antique vehicle. It states online the car must be 25 years or older. My CB is a 1993. Does it start from model year or the year the car was released to the public? 1993 +25 is 2018.
    If not I may have to leave the car in PA until 2018 and then get it towed down there because I don't have AAA and would not feel comfortable driving it or leaving it without inspection or registration. (which is illegal anyway.)

Thanks for any input you all can give me. I really appreciate it.

Do you not have amber bulbs in your tail lights already? Seems that would be illegal anywhere (violates FMVSS) Throw some amber bulbs in and done. The tint? ehhh just take it to an inspection station and see what they say. If they fail it for the tint just peel it off and get your sticker. The lowering, I can't see them making a big deal of it but ask the inspection guy while you are there. At worst you just paint the lowering springs black, what regular joe is going to notice a couple inches lower? Really this is all little stuff that I wouldn't sweat.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
      Do you not have amber bulbs in your tail lights already? Seems that would be illegal anywhere (violates FMVSS) Throw some amber bulbs in and done. The tint? ehhh just take it to an inspection station and see what they say. If they fail it for the tint just peel it off and get your sticker. The lowering, I can't see them making a big deal of it but ask the inspection guy while you are there. At worst you just paint the lowering springs black, what regular joe is going to notice a couple inches lower? Really this is all little stuff that I wouldn't sweat.
      Thanks for your reply. I will look online for a set of amber ones to change them out immediately. Thanks I guess I am worrying about little things. I should be worried about where we will live

Also she just got off the phone with the principal. All the principal has to do is speak with HR and she is hired. So it looks like we will be moving down there. I have medical issues to take care of first; since we aren't married I have to stay up here and work because of my insurance.

Comment

Be sure you look into housing costs down there. Anyplace anywhere near DC is going to be STUPID expensive. Like, comparable to areas near NYC. My wife is from Virginia (she doesn't know about car modification laws, unfortunately), and she said that norteastern Virginia is so expensive that it's hardly worth living there unless you're making 6 figures.

Any car registered as an antique in any state I know about has strict mileage limitations... so if you have antique plates and antique insurance, you can drive that puppy like 2k miles per year. Probably not what you're looking to do! Hell, I put 7k on my Miata in a year, and it was parked for at least 4 months, with the Cadillac in rotation as well!

Also, if you're interested in work, my place is hiring in Burlington, NJ. Pay is decent, and advancement opportunities are REALLY good right now, as the company is growing rapidly. I've been there a few weeks so far, but it's a great place to work. I'll be glad to talk to you more about it if you're interested. The commute would be about as long as mine is now, which kinda sucks... but people drive up from Delaware for these jobs!

Comment

Girlfriend of 7 and a half years?! Put a ring on it already!
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
            Girlfriend of 7 and a half years?! Put a ring on it already!
            I blame you for the Beyoncé that is now stuck in my head!

Comment

Depends on which county your going to be staying in. Henrico is very strict but not as strict as NY. Hanover is full of racist cops but they'll never say it out bluntly. Radar detector are illegal. Inspection is so-so but it depends on who you know and where to go feel me. Property tax is a bitch. Cost of living is cheap depending on where your at. Stay the hell away from Chesterfield aka arrest a field. Richmond isn't as bad as Henrico.

Comment

If his girl's work is in DC or northern VA, that's going to be a 2+ hour hike from the Richmond area. If they're going to live that far from work, it would be a much better idea to go west and find something on the outskirts of Charlottesville. Charlottesville itself is stupid expensive, but the nearby areas are still fairly reasonable. As Charlottesville expands, the surrounding areas are going to increase dramatically in value. One downside is that property taxes will also probably spike... but that would be a good time to sell!

Anything within a reasonable commute to the DC area is going to be very expensive, and commute times will still be long because traffic is insane.

Comment

traffic is a mofo never ever travel through in the daytime. Thats suicide theres always an accident or traffic like crazy over there.

Comment

That's what they're looking at if she takes a job in DC or anywhere near.
                    You couldn't pay me enough to do that!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      That's what they're looking at if she takes a job in DC or anywhere near.
                      You couldn't pay me enough to do that!
                      only time you'll make it on-time if you travel by plane lol just to bypass the traffic

Comment

Get used to traffic - lots of it. The only affordable areas in VA or MD are pretty crappy. I live in Columbia, MD which is a nice 'burb, but not exactly affordable though it's technically equidistant to DC and Baltimore.

My office is in Vienna, VA and what should take 45 minutes, takes me an hour and a half to get to (sometimes more if someone decides to have a fender bender) - Vienna is less than 40 miles from my house.

Both states have a lot of natural beauty, but by and large - both are devoid of any type of character. Everything is cookie cutter and corporatized (save for a few old neighborhoods).

After living in the area for a few years, my brain has been brainwashed to believe that $400k for a home is affordable and anything less will be a complete POS.

The car scene is probably one of the best in the country, though. You can find a meet any day of the week and you'll see tons of varied exotics.

Overall - the economy in the DMV (Delaware-Maryland-Virginia) area is pretty unrivaled currently, but you end up paying for that privilege.
                        Last edited by verothacamaro; 07-20-2017, 04:25 PM.
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Yup beware it's commonwealth

Comment

I tried to multiquote. I think I failed miserably. I hit the green cross on a few posts and I don't think it worked

To answer some questions that were presented. My girlfriend is living in Ashburn VA. She is renting an apartment by herself because currently I can't move down without a job. Orientation for school starts August 1st. She will be renting a B&B (bed and breakfast for 3 weeks). Until she can move in August 21st.

She will be working in Sterling VA. Her rent in Ashburn is a whooping 1600 bucks!!!! Gated community though. I guess that is the only positive.

I wanted to propose to her but right now I am going to let he do her thing and see if the relationship can last long distance. Deev shoot me a PM if you can about your work I can provide you with my resume so you can take a look at it and see if there are any positions I can apply for.

I currently live in the Commonwealth of Pa so I know commonwealth all too well haha.

Comment

You need to hit the green cross, then just hit the "quote" button on the final post you're quoting to show them all at once.

$1600, yikes! Yeah, the costs down there are absurd. That's probably very reasonable, honestly. Gated is nice as well, especially since she'll be alone for the time being. I hope the school pays well!

Send me your resume. deevergote@comcast.net. I'll take a look, and if you look like you'd be a good candidate, I can pass it along to HR. I just officially started in my position last week, after a month of training. So far, I really like it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X