Rear Control Arm Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Control Arm Question

I got a 92 ex coupe and i'm about ot replace the rear upper control. I know both of those ball joints are bad. What else should i replace while i am back there. Maybe the rear lower inner control arm bushing also? The control arm will be a breeze i think. But the bushing i think not. Do those go bad. It is hard to tell if bad compared to a ball joint. I would bet after 26 years it is bad. Any thoughts on this anyone? Also any other ball joints or bushings in the rear suspension i should replace. I did the front last year so it is mostly good.

The bushings would be a pain especially at the point where the toe is adjusted especially if you live in the rust belt area of the country.

Overtime the bolts that hold those arms in place will get rusty and seize so it would require more than a days work just to get them out.

If I were you and the only thing you had was that car for a daily, I would see if you could find spare parts off another car and rebuild those.

I'd upgrade to a prothane kit since they last longer than the O.E rubber ones.

At least that's what I'm doing with my car.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I'm not even sure you can get all the bushings (at least like OEM) for the rear lower control arms. I got the whole cross member and arm from a car with about 100,000 on it last year in FL for $18. Still haven't cleaned it up yet an installed it. Toe adjusters came out easy as you please (I know mine are seized, but the alignment is still pretty good). It is a good idea to get the whole set up, refresh that, then swap as an assembly and you don't have to worry if the pivot bolts are seized in yours.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
        The bushings would be a pain especially at the point where the toe is adjusted especially if you live in the rust belt area of the country.

Overtime the bolts that hold those arms in place will get rusty and seize so it would require more than a days work just to get them out.
        The bolts aren't rusted. Had them off about 8 months ago when installing rear shocks. I actually paid someone cause i couldn't get the bolt to line up right cause i was doing it in a parking lot at night and it was too difficult.
        So anything else to replace in addition to rear upper control arm and lower inner control arm bushing(prothane type).

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          I'm not even sure you can get all the bushings (at least like OEM) for the rear lower control arms. I got the whole cross member and arm from a car with about 100,000 on it last year in FL for $18. Still haven't cleaned it up yet an installed it. Toe adjusters came out easy as you please (I know mine are seized, but the alignment is still pretty good). It is a good idea to get the whole set up, refresh that, then swap as an assembly and you don't have to worry if the pivot bolts are seized in yours.
          The bushings for the lower control arm can be replaced with the prothane ones that are made for the upper control arm anchor bolts. All he would have to do is torch out the old bushings and make sure the metal sleeve that surrounds it stays in place and the prothane bushing just slides right in along with the steel sleeve that comes with it.

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
          The bolts aren't rusted. Had them off about 8 months ago when installing rear shocks. I actually paid someone cause i couldn't get the bolt to line up right cause i was doing it in a parking lot at night and it was too difficult.
          So anything else to replace in addition to rear upper control arm and lower inner control arm bushing(prothane type).
          You lucked out then.

The Master Kit should come with everything you need including the bushings for the front and rear struts. I would still coat those bolts with anti-seize though.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Correction: Majestic's site actually shows part numbers and prices for all four bushings in the rear lower control arms.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
            X