No announcement yet.

EXT: Front Bumper Removal : How-To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you can put a nut on the back, just retap the hole, and use the stock bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
      I don't think you can put a nut on the back, just retap the hole, and use the stock bolt.

Alright thanks......I was just asking cause since my hands are small I can reach behind it and feel the end of the bolt.....but thanks anyway

Comment

there is a 7/16 bolt on the car surprisingly the two bolts that hold the cross member in front on the radiator are 7/16
        visit www.fourgasm-motorsports.com
        For sale-Brand new stock f22a clutch and also have stock flywheel pm for details or prices

Comment

Originally posted by boosted4life
          there is a 7/16 bolt on the car surprisingly the two bolts that hold the cross member in front on the radiator are 7/16
          only on cars that arent stock, and had those bolts replaced with 7/16"s

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I tried to remove my front bumper this weekend, and got as far as successfully removing the four lower bumper bolts (behind the bumper light). I removed the battery and battery tray on the left side and was able to access the bolt there, but when I put a socket on the nut, (it was a little rusted) the entire bolt, nut and all turned. I put some penetrating oil on there, hoping to loosen it up, and haven't been back to look at it since.

If I can't break the rusted nut free, is there any other way to remove the bumper?

Also, on the drivers side, I was not able to get a good bite on the nut - does the PS need to come out of the way, or do I need a longer ratchet?

Thanks.

Comment

there is no other way to remove the bumper. you can just remove the bumper cover but that requires breaking the clips that line the bumper below the front grill and headlights (which are impossible to get to without removing the headlights themselves).

use a open-ended wrench. i find it easiest to get into that tight space. i never had to remove my battery nor the cruise. i just pulled out the coolant overflow tank and it's right there.

let the lubricant sit and then try to break those nuts loose. and make sure you remove those two plastic clips under the car. good luck!
              1cor10:31
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Thanks Timmy, at this point the oil has been on there for 3 days, which should be enough time I would think. However, as I wrote, the entire bolt, nut and all was turning, so unless the nut is now super loose, I may be SOL.

The reason I need to remove the bumper is to replace a broken headlight - know of any other ways to remove the headlight, short of removing the bumper?

Thanks.

Comment

Bumping this for a bit more info

Don't forget the 2 lower mounting bolts, as shown in Jak's post above. They are the second bolts in, from each edge nearest the tires that hold the lip on.

Take a look: In this image, the bumper cover is pulled away from the car but something is still holding it back. In the center of the image you see a bolt pointing up. It's a lip bolt, and it goes through the lip, through a plastic piece that's part of "some greater thing" and finally to the bumper cover.

Of course, my bolt was rusted. So I shot it with PB Blaster. PB Blaster, along with some turning, ate through the plastic and it broke, freeing the bumper cover. The bolt never budged.

(The black plastic edge you see is normally continuous)
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by usc
                    once you take off the bumper, then you'll see the 5 screws/bolts you need to loosen to remove the headlamp completely.

u dont have to removoe bumper to get to headlights
                    GasOrAss?

www.club5252.com

Comment

Originally posted by hs06
                      u dont have to removoe bumper to get to headlights
                      Yes you do. If you know of a way that you can remove the headlights without taking off the bumper I'm sure that everyone would be very pleased to share your secret.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn
                        Yes you do. If you know of a way that you can remove the headlights without taking off the bumper I'm sure that everyone would be very pleased to share your secret.

when ii did my headlights i didnt remove bumper it was very easy to come offf
                        GasOrAss?

www.club5252.com

Comment

when ii did my headlights i didnt remove bumper it was very easy to come offf
                          if so.....SHOW us the pistures PLEASE ! Thank you!!
                          -My Member Ride thread-
                          -JL store-

Comment

Pictures would be very nice indeed. I know that you may have not taken pictures while changing them out, so a description of what you removed and how you did it would be fine too.

Comment

i do have pictures i will post them i took with my normal cam not digital i will give u a guy how to do one weekend when i do my liip i will show ho to take off
                              GasOrAss?

www.club5252.com

Comment

i do have pictures i will post them i took with my normal cam not digital i will give u a guy how to do one weekend when i do my liip i will show ho to take off

Alright then, I'll be waiting for the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X