Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

90 CB7 need a kit to convert rear drums to disc breaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B series swaps are not common and aren't really supported in this chassis, as they actually would make the car feel slower until you really got going haha. H22's bolt right up, if you're looking for a good swap
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Agreed... B series engines aren't for us. You can install it if you want, but it will require a great deal of custom work. Honestly, if your plan is to go turbo, you'll be wasting a B18C. You'd even be wasting an H22A (which is the more common, more rational 200hp engine to swap into the CB.) If you want turbo, build the F22A. They're cheap and plentiful, and capable of making more power than you'll ever be able to use on public roads. Possibly more than you could use on a track. The most powerful turbo engines on this site are F22As.
      Twin turbo would be a waste for a small 4 cylinder. Again, you could do it... but it will be costly, labor-intensive, and not very beneficial. A twin-turbo B18C under your hood may be impressive to look at, but that's perhaps the only advantage of it. If you don't absolutely want something semi-unique, and are willing to pay a steep premium for it, avoid anything B series. H and F series (aside from the F20C/F22C) are where we live. K series if you don't mind sacrificing ground clearance a bit.

Comment

Again, thank you. I'll look into the F22A. I fell in love with the twin turbos when I was dating a girl who had a MR2 some years back. I was able to tap a lot of power when I needed it in the corners driving through the mountains. I have been fantasizing about that kind of potential for my CB7 for years.They drive completely differently, but I can definitely see a great deal of potential in my car where power management is concerned.

The comment about Ground Clearance is actually a good point. I have often wondered what I can do there. Optomally, I want the bare minimum ground clearance, but thats asking for trouble. I am also one of those weird people who HATE a cushy ride. I want to feel a dime if I drive over it. I want as tight a suspension as I can get. Those factors make for a lot of damage to a body kit. Hydraulics would allow me to raise the car to clear routine obstacles, but would add a lot of weight, and too much play for my personal tastes. What do you guys do to compensate for that?

Comment

What I meant about ground clearance was regarding the K series engines, and how low they sit. The oil pan is in danger when you swap one of those engines in.

Anyway, getting as low as possible can be counterproductive. You need some degree of suspension travel for the car to perform well.
          Air systems are indeed heavy, and very few are truly performance oriented. I don't know if there are any actual performance air applications for these cars, honestly. Most are show only, and many are quite unreliable. I've been to a number of meets where the guy on air suspension is swapping out a blown strut.

Your best bet would be to get some quality components. A popular option are Koni Sport (Yellow) shocks and either H&R or Neuspeed springs ("Race" will give you about a 2.2" drop). If you absolutely MUST have adjustable height, you can get a set of Ground Control sleeves to go with those Koni shocks.
          There are full adjustable coilover kits available for these cars, but 90&#37; of them are Chinese/Taiwanese garbage. Most of them will offer a degree of adjustability that won't be useful on anything but a serious race car, in the hands of someone that truly understands what they're doing. Personally, I feel that a quality set of springs and shocks is superior. I prefer to let the engineers that design such things decide what is best, as I'm far from an expert in such things!

Comment

Hey mike, he was talking about hydraulic suspension, not air, Two different things.

I've always thought a small, efficient turbo would be the way to go on an f22. After minor bottom end building to handle it, a small turbo could increase bottom end dramatically and overall power as well, which is where the f22 is lacking in the car it is in (its even worse in wagons, I drove my parts car sedan around and its so much faster!!)

A small turbo would not provide the peak power of a h22, but it would provide more low down power and torque, which I think would make the car feel better, overall.

Its the way I'd go/ am thinking about going.

Comment

Ah yes. I read too quickly. I don't know if there are any hydraulic kits either... especially performance oriented.

As for a small turbo, that's risky. The smaller the turbo, the greater the heat generated. Additionally, smaller turbos provide peak boost at lower RPM, meaning it's possible, depending on the size, to be at full boost during normal driving RPM. That can be quite taxing on even a built engine if the car is driven daily!
              My preference would be a larger turbo that would allow for near-stock reliability and fuel economy at lower RPM, and provide the potential for good power up high (granted, I wouldn't want more than 350whp or so, as it becomes extremely difficult to actually use more than that in a fairly lightweight FWD car.)

Comment

Yeah, I picked up on the point being about the clearance between the oil pan and the ground, but it reminded me of my concern regarding ground clearance for the whole car. As is, when I drive into my daughters daycare I scrub if I'm going too fast or don't get the angle just right. Getting her down to the level I want her, it's gonna be hell. I don't think there is a viable option for on-the-fly adjustment for ground clearance, but it would be nice.

Comment

Air bags are the solution. As long as you have a good compressor they are a great solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X