Do map sensors last forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do map sensors last forever

I have cleaned my map sensor 3 times in like 5 months and each time my gas mpg gets better fro a short time then back to horrible. I just cleaned it again a couple days ago and i am wondering do these things last forever or should they be replaced every so often. This one is the original one i believe.

MAP sensors don't usually require cleaning. they usually only go bad on the electrical side. And that's only if they get a power surge or an electrical short.

Are you seeing a lot of dirt/carbon and oil around your MAP sensor inlet and in the vacuum hose? If so you should look into maybe cleaning your vacuum hose, and the EGR and PCV systems. Along with the intake tubing and replacing your air filter.

Look at the intake, EGR, IACV and throttle body cleaning threads. They might help!
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
      MAP sensors don't usually require cleaning. they usually only go bad on the electrical side. And that's only if they get a power surge or an electrical short.

Are you seeing a lot of dirt/carbon and oil around your MAP sensor inlet and in the vacuum hose? If so you should look into maybe cleaning your vacuum hose, and the EGR and PCV systems. Along with the intake tubing and replacing your air filter.

Look at the intake, EGR, IACV and throttle body cleaning threads. They might help!
      I've done all that. EGR has been plugged, ported and cleaned. TB and iacv cleaned also with new air filter(full tune up). So why does cleaning it seem to help for a period of time i wonder. Maybe i should clean all my engine electrical connections also. So if they don't require cleaning do they need to be replaced every so often?

Comment

Just curious, what are your cleaning your map sensor with? That may be why it is in this cycle of working good then deteriorating in performance until the next cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
          Just curious, what are your cleaning your map sensor with? That may be why it is in this cycle of working good then deteriorating in performance until the next cleaning.
          I clean it with MAF cleaner.

Comment

They don't work the same as a MAF sensor. The sensor doesn't usually get dirty and require cleaning. It would be more the passage going to the senor that would require cleaning. I find it very strange that you are seeing a change in MPG from cleaning just the sensor. It could very well have a ruptured disc inside the sensor. That is how these sensors work. there is a pressure disc inside the housing that will move with changing pressure in the intake/vacuum hose. This movement changes resistance inside the sensor causing a change in signal to the ECU. If this disc was ruptured, then adding a fluid into it could create a temporary seal, once it evaporates it goes back.

try a local junk yard and see if you can grab one. Any MAP sensor with the same connector will work for testing purposes. it can even be one from a throttle body mounted MAP vehicle. As long as you can hook up the electrical connector and the vacuum hose it will work.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              They don't work the same as a MAF sensor. The sensor doesn't usually get dirty and require cleaning. It would be more the passage going to the senor that would require cleaning. I find it very strange that you are seeing a change in MPG from cleaning just the sensor. It could very well have a ruptured disc inside the sensor. That is how these sensors work. there is a pressure disc inside the housing that will move with changing pressure in the intake/vacuum hose. This movement changes resistance inside the sensor causing a change in signal to the ECU. If this disc was ruptured, then adding a fluid into it could create a temporary seal, once it evaporates it goes back.

try a local junk yard and see if you can grab one. Any MAP sensor with the same connector will work for testing purposes. it can even be one from a throttle body mounted MAP vehicle. As long as you can hook up the electrical connector and the vacuum hose it will work.
              Now i realize that map just tests the pressure. Haha. Sais right on the title and it took me this long to realize it works nothing like the MAF sensor. The ruptured disc makes total sense. It is 26 plus years old. When i do my pressure test on one of the vacuum lines i read 17 in hg. This is a little low am told. I chalked it off to the engine and intake being old and having 245k miles on it. Now am wondering if i have a vacuum leak somewhere. So i'll change out that map sensor and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I found the issue. I think. Timing was 60 btdc. 45 degrees too advanced. I have assumed it was set perfect 9 months ago by my mechanic who did timing belt and said he set timing also. Uneffenbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                X