CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
cmurraydesigns
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: 209
Posts: 4
cmurraydesigns is cool... so far.
Automatic Transmission Removed

With the transmission slipping gears and all the troubleshooting I have done, I decided to pull it.

I have this transmission and I am in no hurry to reinstall so I want to take this challenge and make this my first attempt to rebuild a transmission. My 1st step was to buy a 1990 Accord Service Manual, This manual is amazing! You can buy here 2nd step I want to buy a rebuild kit, but that is where I am unsure of, I want to make sure I have everything I need to rebuild from the ground up. I know I should avoid ebay kits as they throw in some cheap parts, but here are my options that I have found, I would love to know your insights, I want to make sure I have all that I would need and I am getting the best deal possible. This is to simply challenge myself and try with a transmission I already own.

Here are some pics of when I dropped the transmission


cmurraydesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Jarrett
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,393
Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Major props to you for even attempting this. Most of the people on this site prefer manual transmissions, or just look to replace their transmissions in the even of needing a rebuild, so I don't think you'll find many resources here for providing first-hand helpful tips.

I will say, however, that you're off on the best foot possible by having purchased a factory service manual. Read through the process thoroughly and determine any specialty tools you'll need beforehand. Be ready to take it slow and it's likely you can finish up.

Sorry I couldn't provide anything else other than being a cheerleader.
__________________
.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
yh61r
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
yh61r is cool... so far.
These guys have quality parts:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/PX4B.html

I have previously changed an Accord automatic transmission before, if you have any questions or parts you need (I have another one laying around, just grinds very loud when put in reverse), feel free to PM me.
yh61r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
H311RA151N
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jackson, Wyoming
Posts: 2,321
H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Big task, but it can be done. Only thing I have to add is keep everything super clean. Near surgical would be ideal. You can do it. Given enough time anything is possible by just about anyone. Your in a good predicament to accomplish the goal.
__________________

-----------------------------------------In The Tetons----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
Holy fuck, it's the weekend man.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Grumpys93
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 2,708
Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
I have purchased many parts from rock auto and you can search this site for a 5% off coupon
__________________
~Nick~
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
cmurraydesigns
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: 209
Posts: 4
cmurraydesigns is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Major props to you for even attempting this. Most of the people on this site prefer manual transmissions, or just look to replace their transmissions in the even of needing a rebuild, so I don't think you'll find many resources here for providing first-hand helpful tips.

I will say, however, that you're off on the best foot possible by having purchased a factory service manual. Read through the process thoroughly and determine any specialty tools you'll need beforehand. Be ready to take it slow and it's likely you can finish up.

Sorry I couldn't provide anything else other than being a cheerleader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh61r View Post
These guys have quality parts:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/PX4B.html

I have previously changed an Accord automatic transmission before, if you have any questions or parts you need (I have another one laying around, just grinds very loud when put in reverse), feel free to PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H311RA151N View Post
Big task, but it can be done. Only thing I have to add is keep everything super clean. Near surgical would be ideal. You can do it. Given enough time anything is possible by just about anyone. Your in a good predicament to accomplish the goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
I have purchased many parts from rock auto and you can search this site for a 5% off coupon
Thank you all for the information and cheerleading, lol, it is nice to know that there are people to support you and help you on your way rather than discourage you and miss lead you. I am waiting on a table to put the transmission on that can withstand the weight. Also searching for the specialty tools I need and a bin to put all the parts in with oil. Once I get all that I will be ordering parts and start dismantling.
cmurraydesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.