CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 06-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
funguy26
Newcomer

funguy26 is cool... so far.
Speedo, Odometer, trip, and cruse controll. Not working.

I try looking for some info on what is going on. I know I should have a yellow wire for power, an orange wire for signal, a black for ground. I replaced the VSS.

Now here it gets odd I got a Yellow/white giving 5v, A White/black doing nothing really good chance is the signal, and Green/white for ground. The car is a 92 EX with the 5-speed stick.

P.S. 2 people at a Honda dealer say is a Limited Edition version of the car. Really not sure about that.
funguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Nothing limited about it. 92 EX with a manual is relatively common. If you have techs at the dealer with such detailed expertise, I’d find another dealer!

Anyway, if you can get your hands on a factory service manual, you should be able to get the info you need. Hondahookup.com might still be hosting digital copies. You can find them on amazon or eBay as well.
I don’t have any experience with vss wiring, so I’m not going to attempt a guess in case I mislead you.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Here is the page on VSS from the service manual.

Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Just checking - when you replaced the VSS, did you put the pin that transfers rotation from the power steering portion of the VSS to the electrical portion?
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
funguy26
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
Just checking - when you replaced the VSS, did you put the pin that transfers rotation from the power steering portion of the VSS to the electrical portion?
what? I check if the drive pin was in place for the sensor. I found there was no voltage from the yellow. wire it to the battery code 17 is gone. but the speedo, Odometer, trip or the cruise don't work.

Last edited by funguy26; 06-30-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 AM   #6
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Here is the diagram for replacement. fleetwood is talking about the 'Joint Shaft' in this picture, if it is missing or broken your VSS will not read your speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy26 View Post
what? I check if the drive pin was in place for the sensor. I found there was no voltage from the yellow. wire it to the battery code 17 is gone. but the speedo, Odometer, trip or the cruise don't work.
If you measured from the center yellow pin/wire to the positive battery (+) terminal you should measure zero volts. You need to measure from the center yellow pin/wire to body ground. That means red/positive meter probe on the yellow wire and the black/ground meter probe to a clean body ground or the negative battery (-) terminal.

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 07-01-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
funguy26
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Here is the diagram for replacement. fleetwood is talking about the 'Joint Shaft' in this picture, if it is missing or broken your VSS will not read your speed.

If you measured from the center yellow pin/wire to the positive battery (+) terminal you should measure zero volts. You need to measure from the center yellow pin/wire to body ground. That means red/positive meter probe on the yellow wire and the black/ground meter probe to a clean body ground or the negative battery (-) terminal.
yeah the shaft is in place. do the gauge cluster give the 5v?

Last edited by funguy26; 07-01-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Yes it appears so. What do you have when you measure from the orange wire/pin to ground?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
funguy26
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Yes it appears so. What do you have when you measure from the orange wire/pin to ground?
Ok, I got it working! YAY! what I did was take the EGR plug and plug it in the VSS and take the VSS plug and plug it into the EGR valve.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
bobbycos
Contributing Member

bobbycos seems to have made some friends! bobbycos seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bobbycos
Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy26 View Post
Ok, I got it working! YAY! what I did was take the EGR plug and plug it in the VSS and take the VSS plug and plug it into the EGR valve.
seen that happen before
bobbycos is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: