Advice on Coilovers and Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    About how low do you want to be? I was on H&R Race and Koni Yellows. Springs gave me a 2.2"F/2.0"R drop, and the Konis were on the lowest perch. Ride was comfortable when the shocks were set to soft (terrifyingly stiff when set to hard... only used that for drag racing.) I would still have to be very careful over speed bumps, and some driveways were inaccessible. Being lower would've made the car miserable to drive, I feel. In fact, before the car got wrecked, I swapped out the H&R Race for some Neuspeed Sports (1.8"/1.5", if I recall correctly.) Never drove on those, though my previous H&R Sport / KYB AGX combo was decent (shocks weren't designed for the drop, I later learned... but the height was nice.)
    Konis DO give you 3 perch settings to work with, so some fine tuning is available even with static springs.
    I want to be pretty low, the picture I posted above is pretty low for me, I'll probably end up bringing it up a bit for peace of mind.

Would checking out the spring pre-load do anything, or are there some softer springs I could put in my Function & Forms, or am I screwed, haha. They weren't recommended on this forum, and I know why now.
    Last edited by GTRON; 05-01-2017, 12:09 AM.
    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

the ride quality won't change if you adjust the height. The height adjustment (lower shock mount), are completely independent of the shock travel and preload adjustment, so raising it up won't change anything, other than height.

It wouldn't hurt to reset the preload, but chances are it hasn't been touched. I wouldn't recommend swapping springs out either, because then the shocks are not valved to match, and it could honestly ride worse with a softer spring. Also, F&F uses 60mm springs instead of the more common 2.5" diameter, meaning aftermarket ones will be harder to find. You could always upgrade to Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, etc, but you'd need a larger adjustment collar, and the cost to swap everything over at that point just isn't worth it.

If you were local, I'd totally let you try out my Koni/GC setup. Perfect combination of comfort and performance in my book. Over the past few years I've probably had a good 10+ friends now switch to a similar setup after experiencing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
        the ride quality won't change if you adjust the height. The height adjustment (lower shock mount), are completely independent of the shock travel and preload adjustment, so raising it up won't change anything, other than height.

It wouldn't hurt to reset the preload, but chances are it hasn't been touched. I wouldn't recommend swapping springs out either, because then the shocks are not valved to match, and it could honestly ride worse with a softer spring. Also, F&F uses 60mm springs instead of the more common 2.5" diameter, meaning aftermarket ones will be harder to find. You could always upgrade to Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, etc, but you'd need a larger adjustment collar, and the cost to swap everything over at that point just isn't worth it.

If you were local, I'd totally let you try out my Koni/GC setup. Perfect combination of comfort and performance in my book. Over the past few years I've probably had a good 10+ friends now switch to a similar setup after experiencing it.
        Oh well. I'll just have to deal with it then.

I don't know if I'm just getting used to it, but It seems like they're feeling a little better the more I've driven it the past two days. I've heard something about coilovers "breaking in". Could just be in my head though.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Maybe now you'll start to listen to some of the advice that is being given to you. As most of us have already gone through what you are currently going through. We aren't just blowing wind in your sails. We are trying to save you some pain, languish, effort and money. You would have been better off with a static spring and some decent shocks instead of awful coilovers, for about the same cost, if not less.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Update: They've softened up pretty significantly after driving it for a week or two, I'm starting to enjoy them a lot more. I still would like to know how they stack up next to the recommended set up on here, but I'm a lot more content with them now.

Side note: I need to raise this car up a bit if I like having an exhaust
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
            X