Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Coilovers and Bushings

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty much sold on getting Function and Form Type 1's (countless great reviews from honda guys), but I still would like to hear some other recommendations if you have them.

What would you guys recommend for replacing the shock bushings?
    Should I just go with a stock replacement or what?

Also, I snapped the lower shock bolt (that connects to the rear disc knuckle)the other day, and I'm wondering where can I find a stock sized replacement for that?

Thanks!
    I'm faster then a prius

You can hardly go wrong with Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings. Although they can be tricky to assemble on top of the shock.

As far as the lower shock bolts go, I just ordered a couple from hondapartsnow.com. They have all the factory part diagrams and it's all Honda Genuine parts at a fairly reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by rustyaccord View Post
      You can hardly go wrong with Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings. Although they can be tricky to assemble on top of the shock.

As far as the lower shock bolts go, I just ordered a couple from hondapartsnow.com. They have all the factory part diagrams and it's all Honda Genuine parts at a fairly reasonable price.
      Awesome, I'll all of those out, thanks man.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I had f&f type 1's in my old dc2 and they sucked. Rear was way too stiff but that was my experience.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Yeah, the Function and Form coilovers were awful. I used them for about 3,000 miles before removing them.

There are tons of great reviews for the out there. Every single one of them is from a beanie-wearing 20-something whose opinion is based on wether or not the car will bottom out after slamming it on the ground. It's a tried and true lowering combination. Build a threaded body that will allow the coilovers to go as low as possible. Then put incredibly stiff springs on them so you don't bottom out when you're that low. Then valve the shocks to match. The formula has nothing to do with performance or handling ability. Just making your car low.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Yeah, the Function and Form coilovers were awful. I used them for about 3,000 miles before removing them.

There are tons of great reviews for the out there. Every single one of them is from a beanie-wearing 20-something whose opinion is based on wether or not the car will bottom out after slamming it on the ground. It's a tried and true lowering combination. Build a threaded body that will allow the coilovers to go as low as possible. Then put incredibly stiff springs on them so you don't bottom out when you're that low. Then valve the shocks to match. The formula has nothing to do with performance or handling ability. Just making your car low.
            I see... Would the recommended Koni and neosport springs combination be better handling?
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

In my opinion, if you are going to go Koni/Neuspeed, just spend the extra money for Ground Control Sleeves.

Koni/GC is the go-to, time-tested performance setup without breaking the bank. The quality you get for the money can't be matched at that price range. Lots of customization options as well.

Comment

There's a reason that the Koni/GC combination is regurgitated without hesitation anytime someone asks. It works and it works very well. You can usually find the Koni shocks for less than $500 if you shop around, too.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Springtime is when they are cheapest too.

https://www.tunersports.com/koni-spo...-2_p19682.html

$535 shipped, from an authorized dealer. About as cheap as it gets. And they price match if you find them cheaper.

Comment

Not sure which Neuspeed springs you were planning on but if you find the Neuspeed Sports let me know. I tried to get them off of the Neuspeed website & when I did my online order I waited 3 days with no shipping/tracking number email. I finally emailed the guy but it took another two days for him to tell me they don't have any in stock (I guess he wasn't going to tell me??). I emailed back asking when they would get some in stock but never got a response..
                    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Just throwing this out there...everyone says the Konis are far and away better than the KYB AGX's (which I can't dispute, since I haven't tried them) but I am satisfied with my KYB/GC sleeve combo. Just another option that's somewhat cheaper than the Konis.

The KYB/GC combination is damping adjustable and height adjustable and KYB was the OE shock manufacturer I believe. Certainly better quality than a third-tier coilover.
                      1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                      VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                      NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                      CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

I'm a fan of static springs over adjustable coilovers. Neuspeed Race dropped me to the perfect height, and I didn't have to worry about things being evenly set. Ground Control (and Eibach, who makes their springs) are certainly quality, but I'd still choose Koni/Neuspeed (or Koni/H&R... same specs) over Ground Control.

Still, Either Koni pairing is going to be better than F&F, or any full-bodied coilover in the same price range. Even Tein's lower priced stuff is going to be inferior (still not bad, but I'd go for a Koni combo over Street Basis or SS any day.)

Ask yourself before you buy: do you have the need, knowledge, and tools to properly utilize an adjustable suspension? If so, how much adjustability? If you're never going to see a track or autocross course, then you don't really need anything adjustable at all. If you're going to do some racing, then do you plan on having the car set up professionally? Corner-weighted and such? Or would you plan on tweaking it yourself after each pass (that can get time consuming and expensive... and you'll have to know what you're doing to make the most out of each new adjustment.) If you plan on laying frame, you'd be better off with an air suspension over coilovers. If you just want to drop it functionally, the engineers that make top quality springs have pretty much already figured that much out for you. Also, chances are VERY good that you won't mess with the height adjustment very often after getting adjustables. Most people play with it for a month or two, and get tired of it. Keep in mind that any major changes should probably be followed by an alignment (hint: a lifetime alignment at a place like Firestone is a great investment... if you can get them to work on a lowered car...)

My Miata came with Flyin' Miata coilovers. I see them pretty much as being the F&F of the Miata world. Wouldn't have been my choice, but they're not bad. They were professionally set up for autocross (corner-weighted with the previous owner in the car... lot of good that does me, as I outweigh the dude by about 70lbs...) I haven't touched them. I probably never will, other than to remove them for a set of static springs and Bilsteins, which may happen.

Also, to comment on the AGX... they are not made to be lowered more than 1.5", which is more than even mild drop springs tend to do on a CB7. That is not random internet nonsense. That information comes directly from KYB. KYB does not make a shock for the CB chassis that can handle a drop greater than 1.5". Konis come with a lifetime warranty, no matter how slammed your ride is. KYB, not so much.

I moved this to the Suspension subforum, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I'm a fan of static springs over adjustable coilovers. Neuspeed Race dropped me to the perfect height, and I didn't have to worry about things being evenly set. Ground Control (and Eibach, who makes their springs) are certainly quality, but I'd still choose Koni/Neuspeed (or Koni/H&R... same specs) over Ground Control.

Still, Either Koni pairing is going to be better than F&F, or any full-bodied coilover in the same price range. Even Tein's lower priced stuff is going to be inferior (still not bad, but I'd go for a Koni combo over Street Basis or SS any day.)

Ask yourself before you buy: do you have the need, knowledge, and tools to properly utilize an adjustable suspension? If so, how much adjustability? If you're never going to see a track or autocross course, then you don't really need anything adjustable at all. If you're going to do some racing, then do you plan on having the car set up professionally? Corner-weighted and such? Or would you plan on tweaking it yourself after each pass (that can get time consuming and expensive... and you'll have to know what you're doing to make the most out of each new adjustment.) If you plan on laying frame, you'd be better off with an air suspension over coilovers. If you just want to drop it functionally, the engineers that make top quality springs have pretty much already figured that much out for you. Also, chances are VERY good that you won't mess with the height adjustment very often after getting adjustables. Most people play with it for a month or two, and get tired of it. Keep in mind that any major changes should probably be followed by an alignment (hint: a lifetime alignment at a place like Firestone is a great investment... if you can get them to work on a lowered car...)

My Miata came with Flyin' Miata coilovers. I see them pretty much as being the F&F of the Miata world. Wouldn't have been my choice, but they're not bad. They were professionally set up for autocross (corner-weighted with the previous owner in the car... lot of good that does me, as I outweigh the dude by about 70lbs...) I haven't touched them. I probably never will, other than to remove them for a set of static springs and Bilsteins, which may happen.

Also, to comment on the AGX... they are not made to be lowered more than 1.5", which is more than even mild drop springs tend to do on a CB7. That is not random internet nonsense. That information comes directly from KYB. KYB does not make a shock for the CB chassis that can handle a drop greater than 1.5". Konis come with a lifetime warranty, no matter how slammed your ride is. KYB, not so much.

I moved this to the Suspension subforum, as well.
                          A lot to think about.. Haha. I don't plan on taking this autocrossing/racing or anything, just street.

Oh thanks, sorry I should have started in there in the first place.
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

About how low do you want to be? I was on H&R Race and Koni Yellows. Springs gave me a 2.2"F/2.0"R drop, and the Konis were on the lowest perch. Ride was comfortable when the shocks were set to soft (terrifyingly stiff when set to hard... only used that for drag racing.) I would still have to be very careful over speed bumps, and some driveways were inaccessible. Being lower would've made the car miserable to drive, I feel. In fact, before the car got wrecked, I swapped out the H&R Race for some Neuspeed Sports (1.8"/1.5", if I recall correctly.) Never drove on those, though my previous H&R Sport / KYB AGX combo was decent (shocks weren't designed for the drop, I later learned... but the height was nice.)
                            Konis DO give you 3 perch settings to work with, so some fine tuning is available even with static springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post

Well I see what you mean. I got this message a couple days after I ordered the F&F type 1s. I put them on a couple days ago, and they are super stiff, My back hurts after driving for 15 minutes.

Kinda disappointed to be honest, I was expecting a little bumpy, but these are incredibly stiff and do nothing to dampen small bumps or imperfections in the road. Sure it's fun on corners, but they're so stiff.

Sure I can get as low as I want with these, but I would rather enjoy driving it than it looking cool.

I have pretty low profile tires on, so I don't think that's helping anything.

How it sits: (ignore the body work and missing bumper, LOL)

Any advice for my sore back, haha.
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                              X