FUEL: Fuel Pump Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FUEL: Fuel Pump Access

If your a practical person and don't mind hacking a hole in your trunk please read on.
    After dropping the tank and stripping rusted bolts and fuel line clamps on a 1995 Accord,
    I decided "F**k this s**t, if I ever I have to change a fuel pump, I'm doing it the easy way."
    My 1990 has 220,000 miles on an original pump, so the day may come soon...

Lets begin.

Now ask yourself, do I really want to hack a hole in this virgin metal?
    Why didn't Honda put an access spot on all cb7s?
    Lazy designers? Integrity of the unibody?
    We may never know...

Now that you have chosen to not to be a chump and cut a damn hole, these are the tools you will need:

Dremel
    Cutting wheels (6 bucks at Ace)
    Safety Goggles
    Mini hack-saw (optional)

Now try not to cut too deep, you could start a fire with all those sparks if you cut a fuel line. Don't nick the wire harness either.
    If you didn't win the Darwin awards and blow yourself up, you should have a decent hole.
    Follow my measurements below.
    If you're careless, you will probably end up with a jagged hole like mine.

A little deburring, dust busting, and wiping is in order.

Bunch of 10mm bolts, banjo bolt, wire harness connector, and some other stuff disconnected and you should have your fuel pump out painlessly.
    Cover up that nasty hole with tarp, duct tape, or a true professional would fab up an access cover lol.
    Last edited by close2classic; 02-12-2010, 11:47 PM.
    RoaR MRT

Close Up... stuff it with foam or something, as an environmental seal

Hole? I don't see a hole....

Last edited by close2classic; 02-13-2010, 12:43 AM.
    RoaR MRT

Comment

Nice haha... Makes the 4 hour job a bit easier... but idk i dont replace them often enough haha

Click it.... You know you wanna
      Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

Eh, This is a good idea, but honestly by the time I actually scrounged up the side grinder and went to the store and bought the wheels, I would have dropped the tank by then and had the pump out replacing it. Puttin it back in aint bad if you have help and of course the tank is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
          Eh, This is a good idea, but honestly by the time I actually scrounged up the side grinder and went to the store and bought the wheels, I would have dropped the tank by then and had the pump out replacing it. Puttin it back in aint bad if you have help and of course the tank is empty.
          well your fuel pump may not always go out when the tank is empty. you could have just filled up the tank and it goes out. sucks but it might happen. lol. and not everyone has help close by.

so this is a nice alternative for dropping the tank. if i had the skills id fab up an access cover for it. haha.

Comment

my tank has a drain bolt on the bottom of it. ive drained gas out of it before. do all the tanks have those or only some?

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
            So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

The repair manual I have read say that most have drain plugs. Some don't....
              Look what f22parts.com has for use with that drain plug.
              http://www.f22parts.com/item_gastankfitting.htm <-- Think of the possibilities, could even rig up a backup fuel pump.
              RoaR MRT

Comment

YOu could pump the fuel outta there with that guy haha

Click it.... You know you wanna
                Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

packing that foam in there is a bad idea and allows a place for water and moisture to accumulate and cause corrosion. Id suggest making some sort of cover for your new access panel.

For those that try this id suggest buying the civic fuel pump cover and cutting the hole to that as a template that way you have a cover that will go over the hole you cut.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                  member ride thread
                  11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                  DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                  People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                  I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                  John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

well thanks for the triple post and will keep that in mind.
                    I can't wait for the day the gas tank rots out! I will drop that bitch and put in 10 gal. cell!
                    RoaR MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                      that sounds like a personal problem. my grinders are easily accessible.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

That seriously looks un smart. lol

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                          that sounds like a personal problem. my grinders are easily accessible.
                          Yea most of us dont have a grinder laying around. Then you have to think about the sparks you emit and it could cause a fire. But hey, if it makes it easy then go for it! Fuel pumps will be fuel pumps, there really is no easy way to get around replacing one.

Comment

I used a 5 year old dremel rotary tool, and some 5 dollar cutting blades. Like I said in the beginning you just can't cut too deep (no more than the depth of the metal). I did it with a 3/4 full tank too lol. In the winter my garage floor is dirty, outside is freeze your balls cold. This is a mod where you can change/ troubleshoot your pump from your backseat!
                            RoaR MRT

Comment

NICE, That's the same thing I did except i left one side attached so I could bend it back, then I sealed it back up with jbweld in one corner with a strap of metal, them siliconed around the rest.. As for the cutting wheels I got the dremel quick disconnect set with the up graded cut off wheels, as the cheap rotary tool I got from o'reilly with the shitty cut off wheels sucked ass, I went through 5 and I only got {----------} that much cut, b4 I decided to go to home depot and get the $20 set, then with the new wheels I was done in about 30 min including changing the fuel pump to a walbro, and soldering the wires................

My ride:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143916

Comment

Working...
                              X