Lets talk spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcdizzle View Post
    weight of the car really doesnt mean a whole lot when it comes to the spring rates, a guy locally had a miata that was running 600lb f/r on it for autocross. the thing road like it was on fence posts but it handle like it was on rails so yah.
    If your trying to get the perfect 50/50 weight distribution uh yes it does. Scaling the car tells you how much weight is on each tire.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
    "The Turtle"
    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
      If your trying to get the perfect 50/50 weight distribution uh yes it does. Scaling the car tells you how much weight is on each tire.
      oooh ok, now i see what your saying. i thought you were refering to just getting an overall weight of the car.

isnt this what corner balancing is for? also that is kinda why i ran lower rates in the rear of my car.

My Members Ride Thread
      Originally posted by deevergote
      You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

oooh ok, now i see what your saying. i thought you were refering to just getting an overall weight of the car.

isnt this what corner balancing is for? also that is kinda why i ran lower rates in the rear of my car.
        Corner balancing? Can you explain this to me, not sure what it is. True lower spring rates in the rear will put more weight to the rear of the car, to low and you'll prob sag and and poor handling.

"The Turtle"
        DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

i cant describe it, but i think this website does a good job
          http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performa...nerbalance.htm

My Members Ride Thread
          Originally posted by deevergote
          You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

i cant describe it, but i think this website does a good job
            http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performa...nerbalance.htm
            I just breifly skimed it but thats basically what I was saying. Or at least same goals. Except in circle track we have a different weight distrubution, can't remember what it is though. I know I hate having to go and put rounds in and out of the car though, get time concuming. Espcially when reggie, our driver, and my shop teacher change their minds . If you want to know how to set up a car go find some of the old guys who have been racing for a while and just listen. I've learned alot over just the past few months.

"The Turtle"
            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

The idea with higher rear spring rates is to get the rear more skiddish. Skiddish tails yield yaw change, and yaw change is welcomed in any auto-x.

There aren't too many people that would recommend stiffer fronts than rears when autocrossing. Stiffer fronts will almost always lead to understeer, and understeer has no business on the auto-x circuit.

There are CRX guys that run 600+/900+. G-man's numbers don't seem unrealistic to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                The idea with higher rear spring rates is to get the rear more skiddish. Skiddish tails yield yaw change, and yaw change is welcomed in any auto-x.

There aren't too many people that would recommend stiffer fronts than rears when autocrossing. Stiffer fronts will almost always lead to understeer, and understeer has no business on the auto-x circuit.

There are CRX guys that run 600+/900+. G-man's numbers don't seem unrealistic to me.
                Thank you. Just as you posted that, I realized that that is key to success, rotation of the rear. Pretty much everybody runs higher tire pressure in the rear, so higher spring rate would be warranted as well.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

^^^

agreed.
                  93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

So my guess is that your car will be a dedicated auto-x car and no longer a DD?

I'm currently running Megan Racing coilovers with 14kg/mm up front and custom 8kg/mm rear as opposed to 6kg/mm..I believe that translates to 780lbs/in up front and 450lbs/in rear? Anyways, along with that I also have Progress RSB, rear X-brace, and front 3-point brace, matched with stock DX front sway bar (24mm is it? or 25mm?) Camber is -3.0 up front, -1.0 rear..

Cornering wise, it's great, no doubt about it..In all honesty, I haven't experienced understeer in the past 3 years I think, ever since I upgraded the suspension, added RSB and ran my current camber setup....During hard cornering (low to mid speed) I can definitely feel the rear tires losing traction during exit to keep up with the fronts...Oh for tire pressure, in summer time I usually run 40psi up front and 34psi rear..

However, when it comes to stability under high speed, as well as high speed braking, I find the rear to be somewhat unstable..When I first installed the coilovers, out of 32 dials (32 being the stiffest), I set the front at 26 and the rear at 20...Needless to say, my rear-end would literally float on the highway, so much that it scared the poop out of me...After getting used to it, my final setting came to 28-30 front (depending on wheel/tire combo), and 16 for rear...Even at 16 the rear would still kick out on me...So far I almost died 3 times from my car oversteering during long fast corners...Had I not countersteer I wouldn't be typing this right now lol

But anyways, what I'm trying to say is that, while stiff rear suspension might be good for auto-crossing, you might also want to consider normal road conditions, even more so when it rains...Normal streets aren't exactly all made of slow and tight turns like auto-x courses...To me personally, 8K for rear seems to be plenty stiff..My rear end barely squats, and I can't even set the damper past 16 or I might just die while going 180km/h on the highway I can't imagine what it'd be like if I'm running an even higher spring rate in the rear, let alone stiffer than the fronts!!

Again, just some food for thoughts...But if your car is no longer a DD and simply just a dedicated auto-x car, then forget everything I just said!!

I will be widening my stance by 50mm all around in a few weeks time, as well as replacing all bushings with spherical bearings..I'll also be running -2.5 camber up front and -1.5 rear..After that's done I will be re-tuning the suspension again...I'm hoping that this time I will be able to turn up the rear damper without the fear of losing control...I'm VERY tempted to run 16K up front though

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

neuspeed spring rates (got them from Mr. Nueman himself)

race - 485f 300r

sport - 260f 165r

I am currently using both of these. the race springs up front (485lbs) and then the sport rears (165lbs). I choose comfort lol. I don't do much auto x or anykind of racing in this car just a nice dd. My celica is for that lol. Whitelines FTW.

anyways back to your post. if your getting 600f 800r thats PUSHING LIMITS OF DD. those are close to track only rates. but then your have to consider your ride quality which then you have to look at the shock valving. And if your looking into springs go with hypercoil. my friend have them on his lude.
                      either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

A little more in the back never hurt anyone =D. Get you a nice RSB also that will stiffen the rear for sure and you will have quite a bit of oversteer. Its a nice setup if you understeer. If you go to much it becomes a burden. Those spring rates really dont sound that bad. What are you using for dampening?

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by trah View Post
                          neuspeed spring rates (got them from Mr. Nueman himself)

race - 485f 300r

sport - 260f 165r

I am currently using both of these. the race springs up front (485lbs) and then the sport rears (165lbs). I choose comfort lol. I don't do much auto x or anykind of racing in this car just a nice dd. My celica is for that lol. Whitelines FTW.

anyways back to your post. if your getting 600f 800r thats PUSHING LIMITS OF DD. those are close to track only rates. but then your have to consider your ride quality which then you have to look at the shock valving. And if your looking into springs go with hypercoil. my friend have them on his lude.
                          If Neuspeed Race springs are in fact 485f 300r, then I definitely want 500f and maybe 750r. Yes, for the foreseeable future this car will be driven daily, just not on the tires I race on.
                          Springs, I am going to go with Ground Control coilovers which use stock Eibach race springs
                          Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                          A little more in the back never hurt anyone =D. Get you a nice RSB also that will stiffen the rear for sure and you will have quite a bit of oversteer. Its a nice setup if you understeer. If you go to much it becomes a burden. Those spring rates really dont sound that bad. What are you using for dampening?
                          I already have a progress rear sway bar and the benefits are awesome.

Once I get the rates figured out I am going to have a set of Bilsteins custom valved to match the rates.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

biter

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                              Once I get the rates figured out I am going to have a set of Bilsteins custom valved to match the rates.
                              Sounds like a plan man. Finally someone doing it right instead of just throwing a set of coils on and thinkin its the greatest thing haha.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                                biter
                                What? Provide a meaningful comment or I will delete this.
                                Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X