No announcement yet.

CyborgGT : 1993 Accord EX wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you not take me seriously? Are you afraid of this thing lapping you at Laguna Seca? I'm telling you, I've since put a front splitter on to dial out the tiny bit of understeer and now the handling defies physics.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

But for real... delays, delays. I've been making small progress, only to find a part that I'm missing, and that's kept repeating. I went to degree the cams last night around midnight, but then the site I was using for instruction (here) suddenly shut down for "scheduled maintenance". I just went home and went to sleep.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        Alright, I'm out. Wagon's sold, H's sold. I found a new love. It's got room for two, if anyone wants to join me on an adventure.

Someone close this thread, please. kthxbye

lol...... reminds me of this.

Love the engine man!

Comment

Damn dude, it's been a while. How've you been?

Yeah, this CB I'm definitely not ever getting rid of. I still miss the sedan.
          I've been good. The accord went to my little brother, he blew the motor, i replaced it with a H22A4, he blew it again, and I just got done today replacing it with a 3rd H22 engine. Arghh, family headaches. Spent the last few years modifying the 370z I purchased in 2015. Went with the SOHO A2A Supercharger kit, made 527whp on 91 and 612 on e85. Damn thing barely hooks up! I'm back in ownership of the accord again so i'll probably do some minor aesthetic modifications to the look, no crazy power. Glad you're still wrenching away with the accord! I'll make a weekend to catch up with you and see your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by koslauj View Post
            I've been good. The accord went to my little brother, he blew the motor, i replaced it with a H22A4, he blew it again, and I just got done today replacing it with a 3rd H22 engine. Arghh, family headaches. Spent the last few years modifying the 370z I purchased in 2015. Went with the SOHO A2A Supercharger kit, made 527whp on 91 and 612 on e85. Damn thing barely hooks up! I'm back in ownership of the accord again so i'll probably do some minor aesthetic modifications to the look, no crazy power. Glad you're still wrenching away with the accord! I'll make a weekend to catch up with you and see your progress.
            Yeah, I remember you were planning on turbocharging the Z. That power must be nuts! Once my car's running, I'll be taking it to shows/meets for sure.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Why do you not take me seriously? Are you afraid of this thing lapping you at Laguna Seca? I'm telling you, I've since put a front splitter on to dial out the tiny bit of understeer and now the handling defies physics.
              You funny

I think a Reliant Robin would lap that thing, if they both didn't fall over on turn 2, 3, 4, 8, 8a, 9, or 11.
              *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
              ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
              ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
              "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
              The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
              Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Where I'm at...

Bottom end assembly was completed.

Finally took the wraps off the head since getting it back from the machine shop.

I never noticed, but HMO stamps their heads as well.

Ports were left alone.

Absolutely nothing else was.

Pro 2 VTEC, yo.

Balance shaft seal retainer.

OEM fits perfect. MTC is garbage.

I finally got started on degreeing the cams last night, which I was extremely nervous about. Turned out to be pretty easy, though. At least for the intake cam. Two attempts through the procedure, an advancing of the cam by 0.5 degrees, and S2's advertised centerline was found no problem. But then I got to the exhaust, and had to halt progress again. For some reason, after multiple attempts, it's too far off. As in, it's calling for an 11-degree retard. I have to be doing something wrong, but I'm just not seeing why it would be any different from the intake side. I emailed Skunk2 about it, so until further notice...

After all that rotation of the engine, I saw what I was hoping the S2 gears would cure: the common timing belt overhang. Something's up with my setup, as the belt is pushed out a bit all the way down the block. It's rubbing up against the balancer belt tensioner pulley, and down at the crank you can see it's wanting to walk away from the engine as well, if it weren't for the other parts keeping it on. What could be pushing it out?! I think the water pump pulley is the only spot with no overhang. I've got the H23 manual tensioner conversion, and I've been thinking about converting back to the H22 setup just to run a manual tensioner from Kaizenspeed or the like, and see what that does. My H22 parts are years disappeared, though, so that'll take some figuring out. On top of that, I'm really not liking how much of a pain it is just to get the belt on in the first place.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-18-2020, 06:20 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

wow, that's too nice to put in a car now. Better use it as a table

I had the belt walk off thing when doing my timing too. It was that the one of the pulleys was not on proper, believe it was the tensioner one as it has the two parts to it in a weird way. If the belt is way too tight this problem may arise too (assuming you forced it on there). But something is not level and causing the belt to walk. Keep looking!

Comment

Kaizen Speed makes an piece to add that prevents belt walk also. Usually it's because the belt is too tight. I used the OEM H22 tensioner and drilled it out and put a carriage bolt into it, creating my own manual style tensioner.

Also I've read about weird center line issues with cams before as well. But they were usually J series engines with the single cam.
                    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Skunk2 sent me a different how-to guide on degreeing. Much easier. No math. It confirmed that I did get the intake cam correct using MotoIQ's guide, but maybe they just didn't do a good enough job of explaining how the formula translates to the exhaust cam, I don't know. But my cams are now degreed in! Intake needed +0.5 degrees, exhaust needed +1 degree. Now I think all I have left to complete assembly is to figure out the timing tensioner situation, converting back to stock H22 hoping it doesn't max out the tension, and then get the KSTuned parts for reliability.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Well, I discovered that the bolt that holds the tensioner pulleys was only hand-tight. My bad! Still changing the tensioner system. Looking at the parts prices at Majestic is slightly depressing, though.

More external assembly, and it's looking like an engine again. On the distributor, the part that plugs into the camshaft, it's designed to only go on one way, right? So we don't accidentally set it 180* off? I was worried that one of the tabs was bent at first.

I suppose getting a fancy cam seal is kind of pointless on the H22.

Every single gasket, seal, and o-ring in this engine is brand new, so I'm feeling pretty good about it!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Dang that’s nice. I hope you get years of use out of that engine.
                          Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                          Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                          Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                          Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                          Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                          Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

With my luck, it'll blow on the dyno.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Thx for the props on your build page on the cb9R loving the detail of work on the car and engine bay. Any updates
                              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Currently waiting for all the parts to ship from KSTuned and Majestic to convert back to the H22 timing tension system (some parts need to be ordered by both parties before they can ship them to me), and in the meantime I'm finishing up the header fitment and intake manifold polishing. I'll get pics up when those are done.

But I was cleaning the plastic timing covers and discovered that the upper piece doesn't clear the adjustment bolts on the cam pulleys. I have that valve cover that leaves the gears exposed for the dyno and for going to shows, but I definitely don't want dirt getting in there otherwise, so that'll need some customizing...
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-30-2020, 11:29 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X