Junkyard Tranny Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junkyard Tranny Tips

I am soon replacing my manual tranny. Has no 5th gear. Was going to buy a reman one but am thinking about a JY Tranny to save on costs. As i will be installing this myself also. Any tips. I am not even sure i like getting underneath a car when it is on welded rims sort of hanging there. Is that shit even safe? I have seen collapsed cars at JY before and am sure while removing tranny ill be shaking or something. I am thinking a wrecked car would be better with low miles. Wrecked would at least mean it ran before it came to JY. I wonder how often a wreck ruins a tranny?
    Last edited by zedjr10; 09-24-2018, 12:30 PM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203209

You have to be careful even getting one from a wrecked car. I bought a running parts car 2 years ago (hit hard left rear) that was reportedly being driven daily; sold the manual trans just a couple weeks ago. When the guy installed it, he claimed it didn't have 5th gear. I offered to refund his money if he brought it back (he was about 2 hours away); he decided to trade the car on a newer one.

Any future purchase I'll at least check by putting it in each gear and turning the engine over to make sure there is output from the transmission.

As far as getting one out at a junkyard, if they have an engine hoist, you could support the front of the car with that while working under it; then leave just the upper bolts holding the transmission so you can work from the top for final removal.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
      I am soon replacing my manual tranny. Has no 5th gear. Was going to buy a reman one but am thinking about a JY Tranny to save on costs. As i will be installing this myself also. Any tips. I am not even sure i like getting underneath a car when it is on welded rims sort of hanging there. Is that shit even safe? I have seen collapsed cars at JY before and am sure while removing tranny ill be shaking or something. I am thinking a wrecked car would be better with low miles. Wrecked would at least mean it ran before it came to JY. I wonder how often a wreck ruins a tranny?
      I pulled an H23 trans from a rear-ended Prelude at the denver u-pull-and-pay that's just sitting here in my garage...

Those welded rims are safe assuming the car is balanced on them properly (sometimes people move them, or knock the car over)

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Sounds like Mike may be able to save you hassle and time.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
          I pulled an H23 trans from a rear-ended Prelude at the denver u-pull-and-pay that's just sitting here in my garage...

Those welded rims are safe assuming the car is balanced on them properly (sometimes people move them, or knock the car over)
          I've read those h23 have shorter gears and ill be pulling 4k rpm at 80 mph. I drive like grandma so have to think about that one as saving me the work from pulling it at jy might be worth it. Am a bit confused when people on here refer to f22. DO they mean h2u5 tranny that went on the f22 engine block?

Comment

Working...
          X